Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #295

Monaco Owners Club
I may be one of very few who actually likes the Chevy Volt. I drove one and was impressed, and would like to have one to pop around town. I like the Tesla. The concept of driving an electric car and spending less money on gas is appealing to me.

When I was growing up, people were either a Chevy guy or a Ford guy. Except for a too short time with a '67 GTO, I drove Chevy's.

I tow a Chevy 4X4 truck because none of our cars can be towed. I'm not bragging about the cars we own, I'm just saying that's what we have.

As I get older, I like the things that make me comfortable, which is the very reason we got an RV. But, I still am excited by new technology.

And, if I may be so bold, do you use an air compressor? Air tools? How did the air get compressed?

For anyone who is against a Volt, do you have solar power for your RV? Home?

'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
The staff would like to ask for everyone's help on this thread.

As you know we have tightened our Community Rules to prohibit the discussion on politics/government policies which are not directly pertaining to RVs. Members and staff alike are working our way through the transition to these new standards.

This thread pre-dates our new rules and already contained a lot of political discussion which had been allowed so we are being just a bit more lenient here while this thread runs its course.

Please help us by keeping your comments as objective as possible.

Thanks

Rick
excuse me,
but i don't see how it is even remotely possible to have a
factual discussion about EV without some level of politics.
they are taxpayer supported, that's politics.
the epa is targeting diesel, that's politics.
etc,etc

where else but here, (or a few other places) can this discussion take place between people that have enough age/experience to discuss/debate the facts.

JMO, but your position on politics has gone a little to far.

sorry

Old 12-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #297

Monaco Owners Club
Ray;
Some topics get heated very easily, leading to personal attacks, insults, dogs sleeping with cats, bad stuff.

History in these forums proves this is true. I am VERY opinionated about politics, even more about my religion, and I could talk for a century about guns.

But as strongly as I feel about all of these, there are, surprisingly, people who disagree with me (wrongly, I might add:roll eyes.

It is the mods job to enforce the rules which make it fair for us all.

Heck, we can't even agree on which motorhome to buy!

I agree with you that I personally would love to argue politics, but this just isn't the forum for that.

Respectfully,
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
Old 12-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #298

Ford Super Duty Owner
I know this is "Off Topic" but I find it amusing that most of the 300 posts on this thread mention fuel economy. Yet we drive RVs that get between 6 and 9 mpg. If you want to offset your energy use buy energy stocks that pay good dividends, I did.
I do believe it makes ECONOMIC sense to buy a fuel effiecent car IF YOU NEED A CAR, but it makes NO ECONOMIC sense to trade in a good car just to have a fuel effiecent car. That said, if it makes you feel better about yourself "saving all that oil" go for it. Me, I'm happy everytime oil gets above $100 a barrel. I would like to see oil at $120 + then people would get serious about alternative energy AND DRILLING for more oil.
Now "On Topic" how many poster on this thread have driven the Volt? I have. I like the Volt. I has good power, extremely quite and I like the concept. I agree the cost if to high, (going off topic again) but I paid $1100 for my first VCR, today $30 if you can find one, and it had a wired remote. I paid $600 for my first digital camera 3 mega pix 3X zoom and no memory card slot and $200 for my last one 15 mega pix 15X zoom and sd card slot. As someone else posted new technology is allways more expensive than old. But if new technology is not PROFITABLE it does not get developed.
Guvment Motors is betting a lot on the Volt and I hope they succeed.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:00 AM   #299

Ford Super Duty Owner
i believe its time for me to move on,we are told to act like adults and when a spirited discussion takes place with out any mis-stated facts we are sent to our rooms,i will continue to read but not add any comments as i must have nothing of value to add because like 99 % of the fine people on this forum i realize that at sometime the facts are the facts and somethings are political in our current times
brianj
Old 12-15-2011, 06:15 AM   #300

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Has there been any discussion about the Volt as a toad? I envision pulling it to the CG, charging it on their power, and tooling around the area. Would be nice if it charged for free while being towed.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:02 AM   #301

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank You MonoacoMama for your "FACTUAL " report on the "VOLT". A lot of people seem to think they know a lot about the VOLT, but untill you own one and have experencied the ride, don't knock it!!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie-dokie View Post
Thank You MonoacoMama for your "FACTUAL " report on the "VOLT". A lot of people seem to think they know a lot about the VOLT, but untill you own one and have experencied the ride, don't knock it!!!!!!!
okie-dokie
sir, since you are an experienced owner, maybe you are the one that could inform us, and answer my question from post #267.

thank you if you could do that.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #303
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Has there been any discussion about the Volt as a toad? I envision pulling it to the CG, charging it on their power, and tooling around the area. Would be nice if it charged for free while being towed.
I Googled that question and came up with this from GM about towing a Volt. GM states that at the least, the front wheels should be off the ground when being towed.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by edj

I Googled that question and came up with this from GM about towing a Volt. GM states that at the least, the front wheels should be off the ground when being towed.
Well that's to bad. What would have been really nice would have been for the car to apply - ever so slightly - a little bit if regenerative braking as you pull it down the road to charge the battery. Once the battery is charged, then it jus free wheels.

I suppose the engineers already had there hands full without adding this complication.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #305

There technically is no "free", you'd burn some extra fuel due to he drag.
I have an enclosed trailer for the race car so I'm used to the trailer.

I typically load fully charged and charge at the CG as there is usually lots of power. I've even used the coach's gen set once when I was dry camping.
We usually don't excursion out past the 35 mile range anyway and it'll charge at night from CG when we return.

Not much different than plugging in a toaster when you want toast while traveling.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Barge
There technically is no "free", you'd burn some extra fuel due to he drag.
Just for the records... I never said "free". I understand that there would be a little extra drag from the regenerative braking. Just thought spinning the wheels would be a good way to ensure you always arrive with a full charge.

... And as long as I'm dreaming, I'd include the ability to disable this feature. Wow, Engineering on a forum board is really easy!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #307

We call it keyboard racing. LoL

Free was meant as a broad brush and preemptive. No insinuation indented.

I guess I need to start another thread to ask about getting a 220v output from the genset so I can use the quick(er) charger for times between heats.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #308

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO
The staff would like to ask for everyone's help on this thread.

As you know we have tightened our Community Rules to prohibit the discussion on politics/government policies which are not directly pertaining to RVs. Members and staff alike are working our way through the transition to these new standards.

This thread pre-dates our new rules and already contained a lot of political discussion which had been allowed so we are being just a bit more lenient here while this thread runs its course.

Please help us by keeping your comments as objective as possible.

Thanks

Rick
On topic:
It's a little difficult to discuss an electric vehicle produced by a partially government owned corporation made affordable to the end user by government rebates and policies without discussing politics. A very "objective" view of this discussion IMHO.

[moderator edit]