Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The whole title of this thread is a joke. The only reason it's a "success" is because the gubmint is financing it (paying us to buy the car, from a company they own) and they SAY it's a success. With the gubmint involved none of it makes sense...very expensive (more than my 07 diesel dually loaded out), uses more power to run and charge than gas, the replacement battery is outrageous, doesn't work well in real cold or real hot, can't use it one long trips, it's little generator burns premium, and the list goes on...you couldn't give me one.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #44

Not sure A/C is that much of a problem. My Civic Hybrid has normal automotive A/C (engine driven compressor) and the gas mileage drops from 42 to about 40 mpg with the A/C. Furthermore, an all electric would have an separate electric moter to drive the compressor, which would then be at optimal rpm, not the inefficient varying speed of a fan belt driven compressor. So I would think that the A/C would make only a couple miles difference on the electic's range.

Heat would presumably draw more power., but even there I would think the problem quite manageable. A heated garage would help, but even without one, presumably the car is plugged in overnight and could be pre-heated before it's unplugged. And if one worked for an employer that provided electric charging stations (not totally unheard of), that would be even better. I can imagine even a smart-phone app that would let you call up the car to turn on the "pre-heat" a few minutes before you go.

Problem - perhaps, insurmountable - probably not.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspande View Post
Not sure A/C is that much of a problem. My Civic Hybrid has normal automotive A/C (engine driven compressor) and the gas mileage drops from 42 to about 40 mpg with the A/C. Furthermore, an all electric would have an separate electric moter to drive the compressor, which would then be at optimal rpm, not the inefficient varying speed of a fan belt driven compressor. So I would think that the A/C would make only a couple miles difference on the electic's range.

Heat would presumably draw more power., but even there I would think the problem quite manageable. A heated garage would help, but even without one, presumably the car is plugged in overnight and could be pre-heated before it's unplugged. And if one worked for an employer that provided electric charging stations (not totally unheard of), that would be even better. I can imagine even a smart-phone app that would let you call up the car to turn on the "pre-heat" a few minutes before you go.

Problem - perhaps, insurmountable - probably not.
My point is that in an "only battery" car if you are stuck in traffic you are using volts up to keep warm or cold and not for moving you along. So to get to your destination you might have to do without heat to get there before you are dead in the water.

Greg
Old 08-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #46

When I read the title of this thread, I thought it was made in jest.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #47

Gulf Streamers Club
I want a hybrid as a toad. I want the hybrid to generate electricity to power my MH when pulling it down the road, two AC"s and all. And we usually stay in a campground where electricity is available to recharge batteries. As mentioned earlier, CG"s are in a perfect position to be charging stations for electric vehicles.

I want fuel cell to replace my generator. It makes no noise at all so I can use it anywhere anytime. We could boondock anywhere and still have all the electric comforts of home. And I can drink the water that is its "waste".

I think the electric or hybrid car is more green than using corn to make fuel!

But that is just me. A few hundred thousand and I can have all of that now....................ronspradley
Old 08-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #48

Gulf Streamers Club
compressed natural gas

Is compressed natural gas CNG is the way to go for fueling our gas vehicles. Keeps the $$$ in the US of A. Charging station at my house that already has natural gas. Much less expensive maintenance for a gas engine. Not as much power as gas and gets less gas mileage but the cheaper price per mile more than makes up for it. I wonder what kind of mileage I could get if I converted a CRV toad to CNG?....................ronspradley
Old 08-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote from Seajay:
On the chance of being jumped on I have this question/suggestion....
The best batteries in the world have their limitations in stowage ability and they all take time to recharge from some power source. Just as a thought why dont we use NATURAL GAS. It is my understanding that we have more natural gas that Saudi has oil reserves now. We already have the basic engines that, with conversions, will run on natural gas. To my understanding there are lots of vehicles already running on natural gas and more are in the pipe line. With electric cars or gasoline/electric cars there is a lot of engineering required and the costs are tremendous and that is reflected in the cost of the cars. With natural gas, we already have the engines and mostly all we need to do is convert them to run on natural gas and a lot of our problems would solve themselves. The greatest problem with natural gas is finding filling stations that sell natural gas and the conversion of the fuel cell to hold natural gas in the vehicle. Just for fun ,,,, look around at the vehicles that are already running on natural gas and you will be surprised at the numbers you will see. The great thing is that natural gas is less than half the cost of oil products and WE HAVE OUR OWN SUPPLY OF IT so our money would stay right here creating jobs in our country instead of shipping our money by the boat load to some country that would like to do bad things to us.
Mind you, this is just my opinion and I will respect yours on this subject.
I am not trying to ''HIGH JACK'' this forum on electric cars I am just stating my opinion for something better than electric cars....

God bless our troops and bring them home soon ....
End quote

Seajay, there you go making sense again, cut that out, will ya?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Well, I'm not a huge fan...

Really? Especially after Seajay's post?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #51

Let's See. The Gubernut wants to take away my SS, Medicare, pay more taxes because they spent too much in past, so I am going to buy a Volt, and the gov will give me some thousands of dollars rebate, of which I have to replace batt cells at some 8-10,000 dollars sometime, while running the rest with high grade gas for generator. Something isn't making cents in the end of the life of this rig. I don't see great profits even now. Natural gas seems a better convenient way.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:21 AM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Nuff said,,,,,, I'm done.....

One final thought and then I'm done.

Electric cars have been around since ''cars'' have been around.
Electric cars fill a special purpose and will fill a specific driving need for some people and this is good but when the government stops paying people to buy them and five years from now when they become ''second hand'' cars with battery packs that are on the edge of going dead, and they will eventually go dead as there is no such thing as a permanent lead acid type battery, they will go the way of the Edsel. For those that live in Calif. in the summer time they might work well. If you live in North Dakota in the winter, thats a different story. A car that can go 60 miles and switch back to a conventional car is nice for those that have no where to go and the weather is always ambient 75 degrees with no traffic jams it is a $40,000 toy that looks great in their drive way showing you have a ''green foot print''. Personally I think in those ideal conditions all you need is a ''motor scooter and a helmet''.
This is just my opinion and I respect yours..................

Lets all thank a Veteran for our freedoms....... Some go to war and don't get to come home to enjoy the freedoms they died for ..... (think about it)

Seajay the sailor man.....
Old 08-20-2011, 07:23 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Somehow I just can't see these actually being a viable alternative during a -20* Chicago winter. As Seajay said, maybe in warmer climes, but around here, it ain't gonna work.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #54

A Chevy Volt amounts to not much more than a $40K version of the Chevy Cruze that is available at a starting price of around $16.5K & is rated at 40-42 highway mpg. It will certainly certainly take quite a few fillups & total miles driven to make up the $20K price differential. For those who are convinced the Volt will save the planet, I'd say "Go for it."

As for me, I've done my share, driving 4 cyl. fuel misers since about 1970 & continuing to do so.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

"One small step for man......."

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-21-2011, 05:58 AM   #56
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
From today's news;

Quote:
Costco, the membership warehouse-club chain, was an early leader in offering electric-vehicle charging to its customers, setting an example followed by other retailers, including Best Buy and Walgreen. By 2006, Costco had installed 90 chargers at 64 stores, mostly in California but also some in Arizona, New York and Georgia. Even after General Motors crushed its EV1 battery cars, the Costco chargers stayed in place.

Yet just as plug-in cars like the Nissan Leaf and Chevrolet Volt enter the market, Costco is reversing course and pulling its chargers out of the ground, explaining that customers do not use them.

Closed Thread