Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #85

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
If I have to pick, the government since they're elected by the people..
The government is elected by the people to govern. There is no part of our Constitution that gives that government permission to control free enterprise. The extent to which that is occurring is exactly why our business cycle and employment are at such low points.

The Volt is truly an example but there will be many more. Have you seen the CAFE standards? When the average mpg is over 50, what kind of a vehicle do you think you will be able to drive that gets it? There are no miracles in physical science so the weight is going to have to come down along with power. It will be interesting to see what RVs look like in that environment. I've spent a fair amount of time in Europe and seen a lot of their RVs. Many of them you have to step out side to change your mind.

Personally, I don't want the government telling me that I'm not allowed to eat a Big Mac and fries because they aren't good for me. What I put in my stomach is my decision. I don't want to be told where to live or what kind of a car to drive. If a Volt makes sense for me, I'll buy one. If it doesn't I want other choices.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
The government is elected by the people to govern. There is no part of our Constitution that gives that government permission to control free enterprise. The extent to which that is occurring is exactly why our business cycle and employment are at such low points.

The Volt is truly an example but there will be many more. Have you seen the CAFE standards? When the average mpg is over 50, what kind of a vehicle do you think you will be able to drive that gets it? There are no miracles in physical science so the weight is going to have to come down along with power. It will be interesting to see what RVs look like in that environment. I've spent a fair amount of time in Europe and seen a lot of their RVs. Many of them you have to step out side to change your mind.

Personally, I don't want the government telling me that I'm not allowed to eat a Big Mac and fries because they aren't good for me. What I put in my stomach is my decision. I don't want to be told where to live or what kind of a car to drive. If a Volt makes sense for me, I'll buy one. If it doesn't I want other choices.
Exactly!!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #87

We have vehicles that can already meet the new 54 mpg CAFE standards. They are called scooters. All of this would be much less important if we were able to obtain our country's massive supplies of fossil fuels. We recently spent $4600 on fuel on our trip to Yellowstone. I think had we taken the trip 3 years ago, it would have been half as much or we would have stayed twice as long.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #88

Quote:
The government is elected by the people to govern. There is no part of our Constitution that gives that government permission to control free enterprise.
See Section 8 - Powers of Congress
The Congress shall have Power . . . regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes.

Quote:
Have you seen the CAFE standards? When the average mpg is over 50, what kind of a vehicle do you think you will be able to drive that gets it?
I believe CAFE standards applies to a manufacturer's fleet, not individual vehicles so there's still room for gas guzzlers. The "over 50 mph" (54.5 mph actually) doesn't take effect until 2025. I think vehicle manufacturers can do it.

Quote:
Personally, I don't want the government telling me that I'm not allowed to eat a Big Mac and fries because they aren't good for me. What I put in my stomach is my decision.
Besides the Mrs, who in the government (excuse me, "gub'ment") is telling you to stay away from Big Macs?
Old 08-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #89

Fleetwood Owners Club
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
See Section 8 - Powers of Congress
The Congress shall have Power . . . regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes.

I believe CAFE standards applies to a manufacturer's fleet, not individual vehicles so there's still room for gas guzzlers. The "over 50 mph" (54.5 mph actually) doesn't take effect until 2025. I think vehicle manufacturers can do it.

Besides the Mrs, who in the government (excuse me, "gub'ment") is telling you to stay away from Big Macs?[/QUOTE]
Exactly, it is Mrs. gub'ment telling you not to eat macs and fries and to eat veggies instead ... it's Mr. gub'ment who's telling you to use only imported oil products but to be thrifty and responsible with them??
Old 08-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coached View Post
Exactly, it is Mrs. gub'ment telling you not to eat macs and fries and to eat veggies instead ...
I missed that g'ment memo about not eating macs & fries. Could you enlighten me.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #91

In 1957 Ford introduced the Edsel and the first year they sold 68,000 of them. Ford said the Edsel was a failure and ceased making them two years later.

Chevrolet has sold 2,100 Volts the first year (only 1,900+ not counting the Volts Obama bought) and Chevrolet thinks the Volt is a success. Wonder if they will cease production in two years like the Edsel?
Old 08-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Let's take care to keep this thread at a high enough level of discussion so as to not become too political. Please.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #93

I look at buying a Volt as I would buying a brand new versions of a computer operating system. Way too many things are wrong with the first couple of versions. I would really love to be in a position of converting an existing car over to GNC.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm4015 View Post
In 1957 Ford introduced the Edsel and the first year they sold 68,000 of them. Ford said the Edsel was a failure and ceased making them two years later.

Chevrolet has sold 2,100 Volts the first year and Chevrolet thinks the Volt is a success. Wonder if they will cease production in two years like the Edsel?
The Edsel was just another gasoline-powered vehicle. Volt is entirely new technology. Apples and oranges.

Why do you expect? Success right out of the box? Get real.

I read someplace that our early space program cost so much to initially develop that we could have build a solid gold Atlas missile with what we spent.

Or should the federal government just not support new technologies? If that's the case, let's just hand over the keys to China.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #95
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
I look at buying a Volt as I would buying a brand new versions of a computer operating system. Way too many things are wrong with the first couple of versions. I would really love to be in a position of converting an existing car over to GNC.
The problem with this is that if nobody buys the early models, there will not be any follow-on improved models.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #96

Quote:
The problem with this is that if nobody buys the early models, there will not be any follow-on improved models.

I want the other guy to buy one first. I have gotten the shaft on wanting to be the first on software and not again. I don't think the concept of the Volt is viable anyway. They are having major problems selling them. The sold 125 last month and had over 600 sitting on deal lots. One of those small diesel's get just as good gas mileage (50 plus) and is about half the cost with proven technology. The market will decide on what sells, not a committee.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #97

Actually I think the concept behind the Volt is quite sound, much more so than say an all electric. The main problem(s) with the Volt is the unknown of what the costs will be when the battery goes bad, and the high cost of purchase. I for one could drive the Volt for weeks without ever needing the generator. I mostly go back and forth to the golf course (5 miles one way), grocery store (1 mile), shopping center (10 miles). However, I also take short trips where the batteries would be dead long before I got back so the onboard gen would be great. Who does an all battery car owner call when the battery dies on the highway and then what do they do?

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
Old 08-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #98

You didn't say how far it was to the liquor store.