Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
Chinese made at the Smithsonian.

While I've not been to the Smithsonian in years, I (we) did do a cross-country trip last year & were, how can I put it, TOTALLY DISMAYED, that in every gift shop, in every NATIONAL PARK, the vast majority of items for sale were products of - I'll give you a moment to think about it - OK, times up!! You were probably right - the answer is China.

Just type in "Chinese made at the Smithsonian" to give you more info on the story. I've posted B4 that I had made a donation to a vets org. & rec'd. an American flag in turn that was made in China. Is it any wonder that our economy is in the toilet?

I don't have an answer to our dilemma other than trying to do my best to continue to "Buy American". Not too easy to do.

PS: I realize that this is a touchy subject to address & NOT violate the rules governing iRV2 so if you care to respond, please be gentle. jodann

jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
Ford Super Duty Owner
i agree thats as political as i can get without violating the rules and placeing blame where it belongs

just liven life in east tn or where ever our
2011 georgetown ,2012 explorer and 02 tbird take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I found the same thing at Lincoln's birthplace in Ky. I decided not to purchase anything and then let the clerk know how I felt. I guess that's all you can do
2012 Itasca Meridian 42E, Roadmaster Tow System, Unified Brakes on Toad
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. US Army Armor. Ret
Finhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
How about this ask your dentist where his or hers crowns or partials come from china or Mexico half the price.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Economies are always evolving. I'm not so concerned with the trinkets and chotskies, no doubt made by low skilled labor, but much more concerned with durable goods, heavy equipment and technology. I'd like to think our economy has moved past having to make the cheap plastic toys found in a happy meal. I would, however, like us to stay at the forefront of new technology, heavy manufacturing and engineering, and that includes protecting our technology from pirates and cheap imitation around the world. Of course that also means raising our standards and results in education and training for productive careers, working to identify and encourage those with the talent and motivation to succeed rather than dumbing down the system so no one 'feels bad'.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Made in.........

In the 90's I went to a lot of TRADE SHOWS around the Western World.
You could see all those people taking pictures etc. Just for info. You had to hide your stuff and sleep on it at night. I never answered any of their inquiries. It's not that easy to find the right product from your country. Some are not even made anymore here. Look at all the car manufacturer, that are now Indian or China owned. Their is no car manufacturer British owned anymore.

TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
We recently took a a cruise to Nassau and were surprised to see a lot of the handmade stuff in the native market was made in China. I guess the labor isn't cheap enough in Nassau.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
The Sordid Truth

TW x 2...

The only Trade Show I ever saw theft at was in Shanghai. My Taiwanese Rep/Pal had a sophisticated High Vacuum part snatched from our Display for Reverse Engineering. He was LIVID. JUST a little tension historically between Taiwan [Free China] and the Mainland as it was.

See a Video of how things really are made there:

Chinese Automation

This BBC Article starts part way down this Webpage:

Chinese Tech Theft

These are Manufacturing observations, not Political ones...
Engineer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I just ordered a safety trangle set from RVupgrades. To my surprise, stamped right on the kit is Made In U.S.A. James King & Co. Tualatin, Oregon. At least there's going to be one thing in my coach made in America!

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
I just installed new pads and they were made in USA, Wagner.
Calipers were USA rebuilt, bendix. Can be done if you don't mind paying more and hopefully get a better part.
Now looking for wheel speed sensors abs, but 400+ each from NAPA is a little high, Delco or Delphi might be made in USA. Most other model vehicle sensors run about 50.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
i agree thats as political as i can get without violating the rules and placeing blame where it belongs

My DW and I were in Carson City NV. Last Monday, stopped at a Starbucks Coffee aka Sixbucks. Anyway I was looking at their coffee cups and coffee pots, not a single item not made in China I let the clerk know in no uncertain terms I was looking for a Travel Mug but I would not buy it there.
Remember "Without Truck's......America Stops" RVM129
"Take me to the Brig. I want to see the "Real Marines".
Major General Chesty Puller, USMC -
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:04 AM   #12
Maybe this will help.

Made in the USA Products Directory

woody! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:19 AM   #13
Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I get my plastic mugs from here:

Learn More About Whirley-Drinkworks!

They made the dunkin donuts mug years back that I loved -- 24 oz that was perfect size for the cup holders in my van. When they fell apart I had to find them for another few. If you buy indiv mugs you, unfortunately , get all different labels on them but I love the design and that they are made in the US
2011 Allegro 32CA \ 2013 CRV toad
Previous:2007 Winnebago Class C
99' Winnebago Adventurer /Towables
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:25 AM   #14
Just like the Japanese did copied everything. If we could limit the Chinese to junk we have a chance, but unfortunately they are moving fast into making everything we use.

Way to late to buy American for most items, in fact they have their own Ebay(Alibaba) where we have been buying direct from China, Hong Kong, etc. for some time.

Outlaw LS '16 JK Ruby '13 TJ '04 Ruby XJ '98-all built for Moab, HD Trike '15, AC Wildcat Trail in garage
Dav5942 is offline   Reply With Quote