Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2004, 11:40 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I personally don't like them,they almost always turn out to be "brag letters"! I had much rather have a couple of lines hand written or a phone call once in awhile asking how we are and about our life instead of once a year bragging from them all about them! Whats your opinion on them?
Dianne

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2004, 11:40 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I personally don't like them,they almost always turn out to be "brag letters"! I had much rather have a couple of lines hand written or a phone call once in awhile asking how we are and about our life instead of once a year bragging from them all about them! Whats your opinion on them?
Dianne

Old 12-22-2004, 02:19 PM   #3

The 'manners' people usually think they are not too cool. I personally dislike the 'bragging' ones but relish the ones that just keep me abreast of the last years events.

We usually get at least one 'bragging' but enjoyed one from a widower friend who had met a former classmate and they are doing all kinds of things together that both enjoy.

Being curious I googled and found some guidance.
Art

http://www.tedpack.org/xmasnews.html
Old 12-22-2004, 03:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While we do read them, we often get a chuckle. We do not sent them at all. I feel a couple of hand written lines or a paragraph is much more personal and apprecited.

The braging letters or more-holy-than thou letters could be toned down a bit. I guess we feel that we have arrived at the position in life that we are comfortable with ourselves and do not feel the need to boast, but we do not get up set with the folks that want to tell about some honest achievements.
Ken
Old 12-22-2004, 03:58 PM   #5

We do one each year and post it one our website. See it at http://www.klenger.net/xmas/2004/2004.html

If you don't like to get them, then don't go there.

Merry Christmas from the Lengers.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 04:35 PM   #6

This past year (2003) I sent letters telling about our foster children. Some of the people we do not see, and it would take more than a couple of paragraphs to tell them. Some live in Nebraska (RVers we met),Delaware FL & Texas. So I only sent letters to those far away. Now we get pictures from a friend of mine who bought a 48 foot boat. She does all her Christmas cards with a picture of them on the boat for the past 3 years. Now that ticks me off. We live in the same town. I told Larry we should take a picture of MH with all of us standing in front and send pictures to everyone. But that would be TACKY. That is my 2 cents

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 08:00 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I sorta like them, but that's because I'm a finalist for the Nobel Peace Prize, my wife just won a prestigious award in literature for her writing, and my son will graduate with top honors at Harvard..............NOT !!

I agree, the mass reproduced "I Love Me" ones are tortuous and the newsy ones are just a bit better.....a few handwritten notes or a call are so much more personable.....

formerly - Bama Rookie RVer
Razorback Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 09:05 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Great timing for this thread. We just received yesterday our annual letter from friends that we haven't seen in 10 years. When I get it at the mailbox, I call the family around and my wife reads it to the family, interspersed with "I can't believe she actually said that!" and "this is worse (better) than last year!".

If you keep your sense of humor you can get a real charge out of it. Trust me, even the grandparents must be cringing at some of the comments!

The remaining letters we get are genuine news letters that give some of the blemishes along with the good. (That what friends do, right?)

Keep smilin'
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 10:40 AM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
The most "annoying" one we get is from a couple that were our neighbors where we moved from almost 30 years ago! They live in the same town so its not long distance for them to call,but we hardly ever see them. Even though they have been invited they have only been to see us once in 30 years,so they are almost like strangers and mention relatives in the news letter we don't know. This year I didn't even send them a card,and doubt if they even notice!
Old 12-23-2004, 03:08 PM   #10

I kind of like them. If they are going to brag in the letters, they will do it over the phone or to your face.
One of the best ones I have ever seen is one from a brother-in-law that had a family picture taken and happened to have the neighbor kid over that day while him mother went to the doctor. They had him sit in on the family picture. He was about 4-5 years old. My nieces were older teens at that time.
The caption under it said family and Michel. Nothing else. Of course I called my sister and as she was laughing said I was the 5th call that day wondering who the kid was.
Some letters are just a hoot and I get few of the "This is was what we bought this year" type.
Merry Christmas everyone.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 04:04 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I like getting them. I really want to know what is going on in the lives of my friends that live far away. I send one to my out of state relatives and a few "old" (long term) friends. I try not to brag but I had to tell everyone about our upcoming trip to Donna Texas for the winter. Retirement is what I rub in to those still working stiffs.
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 04:11 PM   #12

I look forward to those letters ...and wishing that they might slip in a few $$$ to us poor folks. Anything wrong about that?

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 11:24 AM   #13

We would rather have a letter from friends telling us about the past year, especially those we haven't seen for a while than the
Christmas card with only a signature. We have elderly relatives (not many left) that can't get out and they say they love getting the news of our RV trips. We try to be very descriptive and give information you don't find in a magazine article about most trips. We don't go into a long information article about the kids, grandkids etc. that know one remembers. I can't keep my friends kids straight much less the grandkids. I guess if people think we are bragging they can just toss those letters.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:39 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Mostly I like the letters and I do send one to friends and relatives I don't see often. There are some people that I like to keep in touch with and this is one way of doing that. We also phone once in awhile. Don't send letters to people in town. I think people want to mostly highlight the positive things in their lives so the letters might sound as if they are bragging. The letter should be news whether good or bad.