Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Chronic Back Pain/ Shorter Leg

Hi, All

Some of you probably already know about this, but for those of you that don't...

My husband has had pain in his lower back for many years and has always attributed it to an injury he sustained as a young (er) man.
I won't go into all the treatments/exercise regimens he's been through- you'll know what those are if you're reading this!
Recently, however, he's discovered something so simple that he wishes he'd considered it sooner...
But it's so easy to take a wife's advice as just more of the usual..."advice"

He's added a lift to his left shoe to compensate for the fact that his left leg is shorter than his right!
Mind you- the difference isn't perceptible to the eye- he doesn't "lean" like the Tower of Pisa. But it's measurable by a chiropractor/doctor. And it matters to the spine!

He only tried a lift to Shut Me Up.
Neither his orthopedist nor his chiropractor suggested this simple mechanical aid, but at his request the chiropractor finally gave him a lift to "try"- and the lower back pain relief was noticeable immediately.
Not to mention the blissful sound of silence at home...

Anyway, the change is so dramatic for him that I thought others might be interested to hear about it.

Hope this helps somebody!

Francesca

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Hi, All

Some of you probably already know about this, but for those of you that don't...

My husband has had pain in his lower back for many years and has always attributed it to an injury he sustained as a young (er) man.
I won't go into all the treatments/exercise regimens he's been through- you'll know what those are if you're reading this!
Recently, however, he's discovered something so simple that he wishes he'd considered it sooner...
But it's so easy to take a wife's advice as just more of the usual..."advice"

He's added a lift to his left shoe to compensate for the fact that his left leg is shorter than his right!

He only tried it to Shut Me Up.
Neither his orthopedist nor his chiropractor suggested this simple mechanical aid, but at his request the chiropractor finally gave him a lift to "try"- and the lower back pain relief was noticeable immediately.
Not to mention the blissful sound of silence at home...

Anyway, the change is so dramatic for him that I thought others might be interested to hear about it.

Hope this helps somebody!

Francesca

Francesca, I have my left leg that is 1" shorter than my right. I now after 48 years I have lower back pain. I think it is time for a lift for me too. This is caused from Vietnam and had to have my ankle fused. The VA use to put inserts in regular shoes or sneaker. Now they have a contract with a company that makes shoes that look like the old polio shoes and I refuse to wear them. But now at 65 my lower back is bothering me every day. Time to do something I guess.

Thanks for the info!

Old 10-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, Shellback

Boy-
Sounds rough!
My husband's isn't an inch, but it's measurable all right.
It came a little more into focus when he had hip surgery this year- the orthopedist did verify the length difference the chiropractor had measured.
I know what you mean about the "polio shoe"- that's what I was thinking about when I first suggested "lifting" that side...

Good luck!
Old 10-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to hear that he is getting the needed relief from something so simple. I ended up years ago with somthing that simple that helped me with cronic back pain and that was moving my wallet from back pocket to front pocket.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You might start with 1 of the $20 a pair inserts you can get at Walmart on the short side. It would give you about 1/2" -- maybe enough to see it will make a difference before spending big bucks on custom ones.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks okmunky. Yea I have to do something. When you are younger you cope with it but now being 65 in 6 days you feel evey pain. It's tough getting old, but I don't like the alternative.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also found this problem out from my Chiropractor years ago. He gave me an excersixe to do that can correct it. I don't know which leg they found shorter but for me it was my left. To do this I have to lay on my back on the floor. I take my left leg and cross it over the right just above the knee. Now that's just at the ankle that is crossing over the knee. Let the pressure of that leg slowly lower itself towards the floor. Don't force it just let gravity do it's thing. Try not to raise the pelvic area on the right side when doing this as it can be a tendicy of it happening. You'll feel tightness in the back and probably in the thigh area of that leg but it will subside as you stretch the area. You can also assist if the problem of the pelvic area on the other side tries to raise by putting pressure to that area to keep it down and help the leg stretching by applying lite pressure in the area of the crossed leg (around the knee cap) but I do stress lite pressure. Once I stretch these areas my back feels great and with a little assist from the wife she can now see both legs are the same length again. You can give it a try I can't see how it would hurt.
Steve N Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
I also found this problem out from my Chiropractor years ago. He gave me an excersixe to do that can correct it. I don't know which leg they found shorter but for me it was my left. To do this I have to lay on my back on the floor. I take my left leg and cross it over the right just above the knee. Now that's just at the ankle that is crossing over the knee. Let the pressure of that leg slowly lower itself towards the floor. Don't force it just let gravity do it's thing. Try not to raise the pelvic area on the right side when doing this as it can be a tendicy of it happening. You'll feel tightness in the back and probably in the thigh area of that leg but it will subside as you stretch the area. You can also assist if the problem of the pelvic area on the other side tries to raise by putting pressure to that area to keep it down and help the leg stretching by applying lite pressure in the area of the crossed leg (around the knee cap) but I do stress lite pressure. Once I stretch these areas my back feels great and with a little assist from the wife she can now see both legs are the same length again. You can give it a try I can't see how it would hurt.
Wow Steve, that's amazing! I broke up my left leg really bad skydiving back in '68 and the doctor did a bum job of fixing it. That leg ended up about 3/4" short. I guess my body adjusted to the difference because nobody can see a limp as I walk. I have been having some lower back pain in the last few years and went through a series of treatments from a chiropractor about a year ago, but she never mentioned wearing a built-up shoe or any exercise to correct it. I will certainly try your cure! You're right, it can't hurt to try! Thanks!

And thanks Francesca for your suggestion!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow-

Steve gives a really good description of an exercise my husband does every day, too

He's expecting to continue that maneuver- I don't mean to say that the lift is a replacement or "cure"- just another tool in the toolbox!

Francesca
Old 10-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have a pair of orthatics that I wear in my tennis shoes. It does help. The only thing I would say, because whoever you get them from might not tell you. BREAK THEM IN!!! The first week wear them only 1-2 hours a day. Second week, wear them 3-4 hours, 5-6, etc. Otherwise the pain is unbearable from wearing them too long. Hope your husband gets the relief he is looking for.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

He only tried a lift to Shut Me Up.

Francesca
I learned a long time ago to listen to my wife. I think spouses sometimes know you berthed than you know yourself.

Obviously he is lucky to have someone who cares enough to be persistent.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:17 AM   #12

Shellback,

Thank you for your service.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:14 AM   #13
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback1 View Post
Thanks okmunky. Yea I have to do something. When you are younger you cope with it but now being 65 in 6 days you feel evey pain. It's tough getting old, but I don't like the alternative.
Getting older is not for sissy's.......
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
Shellback,

Thank you for your service.
Thank you too, Bob