Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2013, 05:34 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not sure turning this into a moral argument helps much. It probably boils down to wind direction.

Smoking for the most part has been designated to areas, it has been our method as a society of dealing with a societal problem (smoking bothers non-smokers). These areas are getting smaller and smaller by design to accommodate the worries about second hand smoke.

I cannot consider cigar smoking an outrageous antic. But I can agree that in tight situations it is irksome to be around it; to that end each cigar has an end and many situations can be resolved with patience. I will endure modest, even not so modest legal, temporary behavior from my neighbor in honor of their rights. Hopefully when the time comes they will respect my needs as well.

Almost everything has to do with the situation. As cited by one person, were you out in the boonies and parked next to someone? Were you in a tightly packed "resort" setting? Was this a one time thing or something that went on for several nights?

If persons are parked in a lot that allows smoking(including cigar smoking) /drinking/ campfires/ kids/ music etc. then they are; the rest comes down to what is reasonable and accommodation.

My wife suffers terribly with smoke and campfires etc, We do not like campfire smoke in our rig, it's personal. But if we are parked in a place that allows both then when confronted with it we need to be judicious in our response. For one night I'm sure we would close the windows and turn on our exhaust fans in our defense. Maybe talk to the person next to us the following day.

I certainly like the idea of offering to buy the cigars, "hey, I'll buy you guys some nice cigars if you will not smoke anymore while you are here"; who knows it might work? Might even get a laugh, not an argument. Probably depends on how much bourbon has been consumed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
My response and actions would have been in direct proportion to how I was asked to extinguish my cigar/cigarette. The vast majority of the time, people will ask nicely. And being the extremely sensitive and kind person I am, I'll easily comply, often with an apology. However, if I am approached in a less than courteous manner, I'll respond differently.

Example, years ago I was smoking a cigarette at the end of a long, rocky jetty. There were no boats and the closest person was more than 50 feet away. Another person came to the end, looked at the river and then abruptly turned to me and said, "That's offensive. Put it out immediately".
My response was that it was a long jetty, you saw me smoking before you got here and smokers had rights too, to which he responded "Your rights end at the tip of my nose”. Being the considerate and entirely non-combative person I am, I said, with a smile, “Then move your [moderator edit] nose”. Predictably, he had to get the last word as he turned in a huff and walked back down the jetty.

Folks, if you’re bothered by someone else’s actions in a CG, you’ve only two options available to you. Either approach the ‘offender’ nicely and ask for cooperation, or move your house.

If I were the guy settled near you while you smoked, I would have either walked over, said hello and lit a cigarette..................or shut my windows.

As for being a 'social outcast in today's society', I’m good with that.

, I'm good with that as well.
US Navy Vet.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:52 AM   #17

We also have trouble with campfire smoke, which is quite often generated by many in a CG setting. Our solution, like yours, is to simply shut the windows.
FWIW, in over 30 years of RV 'camping', we've only had a single occurrence of inconsiderate behavior (unless you count ignorant dog owners that let their animals pee and crap on our or other's site/s and fail to remove the remains).
Old 07-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #18

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
Tonight a bunch of friends and I were sitting outside enjoying a beautiful night around a campfire. 3 of the guys were smoking nice cigars. After about an hour, the RV owner in the site next to us comes over and asks us to put out our cigars because he could smell the cigar smoke in his coach. He stated that he likes to be able to camp with his windows open, and he should not have to smell our smoke. One of my buddies was really pissed off as we were smoking really expensive cigars and he didn't want to put them out. I thought it was smarter to take the high road and asked everyone to put out their cigars. Afterwards I began to evaluate the situation and I was really thinking that it was not right. I have been camping for many years with my buddies, and one of the things we all look forward to is sharing some nice cigars outside around a campfire. This is the first time that we ever had a situation like this. I know that not many people share my love of cigars, but I also know that we put up with undesirable situations from other folks. I have camped next to people that have loud kids, barking dogs, and all sorts of malodorous outdoor cooking smells. I have never asked someone to stop cooking fish, shut up their kids, shut up their dogs, or stop burning their campfire. This is camping and sometimes one person's pleasure is another person's displeasure. What say you? All opinions are ok.
Sometimes a request is not enough, did he offer you anything except "attitude".
Personally I enjoy a nice naughty after dinner blond or redhead.
If he would have offered me one of those I would have put out the cigar in a heartbeat.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
I appreciate the chemical analysis, but if I follow your line of reasoning, I guess the smoke coming off the campfire, BBQ, or smoker is also carcinogenic, and therefore I will have to put them out too! Unfortunately, a lot of activities that people enjoy while camping aren't always the healthiest decisions.
Good point! Jim
Old 07-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Ok, I just drive 1500 miles, paid $2800 for my very large campsite for the next 4 months. I bought $200 worth of firewood. This is my house and property for the next 4 months. I abide by EVERY rule in the park.

So, when I start my fire, pour me a sniffer full of Remy Martin and fireup my cigar, I don't want some health nut tree hugger coming onto my property telling me what I can do. Or even ask me, as long as I'm compliant with the rules.

That campfire is putting out 100 times more smoke and carcinogens than a cigar. I'm not sure how this works exactly, but the fire smoke always goes in the same direction as the cigar smoke, wierd huh?

I either put up with a neighbor that aggravates me, but who is not violating rules, or I move. I never ask them to change anything they have the right to do. I expect no more or no less from anyone else.

I would think anyone with allergies, problems with smoke of any kind should stay out of the woods and campgrounds where those things are present. Ask the mgt for a non-campfire or the non-smoking section.

The open air seems to be the only place one can smoke anymore, I'm certainly not giving up that right under any conditions,[ moderator edit ]
Old 07-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #21

I do not smoke cigars.

A good cigar is NEVER smoked. It is something that is experienced!

I experience one on occasion.

I try to stay downwind.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 07-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #22

Had a similar situation a couple of year ago. I was smoking my pipe at a Corps of Engineers campground where campfires abounded, but my pipe smoke offended my neighbor. I assessed the wind direction and moved a few feet so the smoke appeared to miss that campsite. I was fortunate that I had the room to do that. End of problem. I do not equate outdoor smoking to loud music, but I will do what I can to not impose on my neighbor when camping. I smoke maybe three bowls of pipe tobacco a day and if you are the person that wants to spout a lab analysis to me then your breath offends me, so stop it!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #23

I agree with rmmpe...it's all about presentation.

I can use a knife and save my Churchill for later.

I can be defiant and stare.

So many rude campers burn garbage in their firepits and then they're gonna have the nerve to demand I put-out an aromatic pleasure?

I believe in human rights like most of us...and I think I have the right to pretty-much enjoy the atmosphere I create at my $50/day site.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
It would be a nicer place if we all took into consideration on how are footpath in life affects others around us. Noisy kids, dogs, fireworks, honking horns, smoking, on and on....
Old 07-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
I would rather smell the smoke of a good cigar, than the smoke from a smoldering campfire. I can understand a complaint if your in camping where campfires are not permitted. Frankly if I didn't like second hand smoke-- why would I go where there would be dozens of campfires. I've smelled some pretty bad campfires that folks decided to burn their paper plates and whatever else. I guess that kind of smoke isn't harmful?? I frankly don't mind the sent of a cigar , but do not like the smell of cigarette smoke.

Equinox Toad
Old 07-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #26

The Wind Has Shifted

That cigar or cigarette that you so enjoy, really never was enjoyable to those around you, we just put up with it. Now that is proven to be dangerous to our health, we have justification to ask you to stop, when it intrudes into our space. It doesn't matter how much you paid for the cigar, how much you paid for your RV, how much you paid for your camping spot, you did not buy the right to compromise my health. We can talk about dogs, campfires, and loud televisions, loud kids and campers, but none of those have been through the Supreme Court yet, like this issue has.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #27
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
MY opinion, if someone is doing something in their own campsite, I let sleeping dogs lie.

Many a time we have been next to campers who have been up later than us enjoying the outdoors, having a campfire and smoke was wafting into our coach. I simply closed the roof vents and windows on that side of the coach.
The same would go for the cigar smoke.
Were it me in the OP's position, I simply would have suggested he do the same in a polite, diplomatic way.

Consideration while camping goes both ways and we all must do whatever it takes to make it work. Smoking a cigar outside is not against the law unless the campground has designated itself as a no smoking zone and advised it's patrons of this. Not likely the case in the OP's situation.

If they were making too much noise, I would let them go till the designated quiet hour. After that, I have no issue in asking them to keep it down.

Some people's total lack of tolerance and inability to be considerate of others astounds me that these people still go out in public.

If you need to be that old and crotchety, you should probably stay home or camp in the wilderness where you can control your complete environment and not impose your self centered rules on those around you!

Again, just my opinion.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #28

Well, once again, we (pretty much all) seem to basically agree. Courtesy should be extended to all as a matter of respect. Showing disrespect has a different result.
Closed Thread