Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #29
If you would not ask your neighbor to put out their campfire, then you should not ask them to put out a cigar.

Shawn M.
2011 Fleetwood Expedition
2014 Chevy Traverse
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #30
Let me say that I am not now and have never been a smoker. I consider it to be a destructive lifestyle for the people who regularly smoke.

However, this is the most holier than thou discussion I can remember seeing on this forum. If you have such delicate sensibilities as has been reflected in these posts then you need to rethink camping as a lifestyle. If you think there are no carcinogens in campfires and gasoline or diesel fuel then you are deluded indeed. If you smokers wish to continue smoking, I don't understand it, but if you are indulging in smoking outside in an area not designed as non- smoking then you need to quite feeling so guilty and standup for your self. Like so many issues of personal freedoms this is largely a political argument and a way for a segment of society to exercise control over another.

Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Old 07-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #31
I am not tolerant of the of the various smells/noise of others which is why I am a full-time boondocker! I always have at least a couple of acres to myself so for the most part, problem solved. Ed
Old 07-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #32
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Mike Thomas View Post
We can talk about dogs, campfires, and loud televisions, loud kids and campers, but none of those have been through the Supreme Court yet, like this issue has.
That's interesting. When did the Supreme Court ban smoking cigars outside? Can't wait until they ban loud kids, dogs, TVs and campfires, that should go over quite well
John & Clare - Buck & Zeus - Jack & Husky
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
Towd: 2 HD Streetglides
Old 07-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #33
Fleetwood Owners Club
It is interesting to read all the responses so far. I can't wait to hear from the neighbors when folks in Colorado decide to partake in their newly legal right to enjoy recreational marihuana. I guess that will be another can of worms altogether. .....

The bottom line for our experience would have been for my neighbor to just close his windows on the one side of his coach for a little while. Once we were done killing ourselves with our cigars, he could then open his windows and enjoy the beautiful mountain air infused with the smoke from the campfire!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #34
As a smoker, I'll agree it is a destructive lifestyle. But, as you note, it's our choice to make, as long as it does not intrude on others that do not have an alternate choice of location. Kudos.

A sensible decision.

Excellent point.

Consideration is reciprocal.
Bob (Squidly Down Under) & Peg - 2013 Ford Focus pushing a 2011 Phoenix Cruiser 2552S
"In God we trust" to preserve our country and bring our Troops safely home.
Carry on, regardless..................
Old 07-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #35
I love it when this forum shams me into eating crow....which btw I prefer sautéed & simmered for around 2hrs in a garlic balsamic reduction. Regardless, while I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would willing smoke a cigar (equal to smoking a package of 20 cigarettes)....you have every right to enjoy a perfectly legal product and in a perfectly legal place such as an outdoor campsite ( unless otherwise prohibited). Considerations for other campers, proximity to others, etc. etc. have been covered and should at least be taken into the equation.

As for pointing out the health risks attached to this activity.....well clearly this is a futile exercise. Everything in life has some associated risks and each individual needs to weigh these risks and hopefully make an informed decision. Lord knows every respected medical discipline from Cardiologists to the American Cancer Society and Congress have clearly spelled out the direct correlation between smoking and a litany of horrible diseases. The packages (not so for cigars) are literally covered with health warnings so it's not like big tobacco is trying to pull a "fast one" nor are they allowed to advertise & market to children.

However, public opinion is a tide which cannot be changed. When I was growing-up my father (a smoker) used to brag that even his doctor suggested cigarettes to relieve stress.....and he could legally enjoy his cigarettes in bars/restaurants, on airplanes, in public buildings and even hospitals. As we know one by one these places have all become smoke free zones (don't think you can BBQ or have a campfire on any United flights either) and it may not be much longer before organized campgrounds follow suit.....until then it' all just nagging...so good luck with your chosen health risk.
Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Old 07-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #36
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
As a smoker, I'll agree it is a destructive lifestyle. But, as you note, it's our choice to make, as long as it does not intrude on others...
Yeah... until socialized medicine (AKA ObamaCare) is fully implemented and the powers that be decide your destructive activities are costing the collective. Wait for it... and we probably won't have to wait long.
2004 Damon Escaper LX400 4194
40' Diesel Pusher
Cummins ISL
Old 07-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #37
Tiffin Owners Club
Wow, serious opinions here.

I would never ask another camper to change their behavior for me, if I were that bothered I would head for the office & request a different space. That's why our homes have wheels!
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 42QRH
Old 07-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #38
Thank You Karen, I have to ask if the fire itself was a cause to add a nasty smoke in the air, would the camper ask to put the fire out? Duh! Close your windows and take a nap! Now just for the record, I use to smoke, smoked for over 40 years and going on 2 that i quit. The last thing i would Ever do is ask someone to put it out, I mean come on, i still love the smell, but choose to not smoke anymore. And yes, I'm a cancer survivor, surgery this past Feb. was a success! So light up Y'all, its your life, do what you like in my book!
Doug & Darlene Morgan RVM96 & Abby Gabby(pooch)
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination"Hickory,NC
Old 07-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I want to comment and don't want to come across as trying to be holier than thou so here goes....
That cigar or cigarette that you so enjoy, really never was enjoyable to those around you, we just put up with it.
Au contraire; actually I don't smoke and I enjoy the smell of a good cigar being enjoyed.
Now that is proven to be dangerous to our health, we have justification to ask you to stop, when it intrudes into our space.
I think you are taking a lot for granted here, what about his space?
It doesn't matter how much you paid for the cigar, how much you paid for your RV, how much you paid for your camping spot, you did not buy the right to compromise my health.
Actually he's not compromising your health, you are. When you refuse to take precautions or simply move out of the plume to uncompromise yourself, then it is all about you compromising your health.
We can talk about dogs, campfires, and loud televisions, loud kids and campers, but none of those have been through the Supreme Court yet, like this issue has.
My dad used to smoke a pipe fired with 'Forest and Stream' and my favorite uncle, dad's older brother Peter, smoked great smelling cigars. Whenever I sit near those enjoying the finer points of cigars and pipes it brings back very pleasant memories of childhood and fishing and hunting trips with my family. Waking up to breakfast being burned over an open fire is a pleasure I can no longer enjoy but the memories will always remain.

My buddy's new bride to be has emphysema and it sure puts a damper on some of our mutual camping experiences but we do what we have to when we have to. DW and I always host the campfire and a seat upwind is guaranteed for Marie, John's future DW. When it becomes a problem to her we all move to where there is no longer a problem for her.

One cannot put the onus on everyone else for ones enjoyment in life. In the OP I too would have put out the cigars if I had known the reason for the request, or would have moved to where the pungent odour was no longer a problem to the wife. Regardless, the husband making the request, could have just shut his windows and vents for the duration of the smoke fest.

Enjoyment of our great outdoors is practiced differently by different people and we all have to learn to not impose our selected preferences of this enjoyment on other peoples choices.
Denise and Dennis Dalla-Vicenza Co-pilot Mizzie
Gracie a Winnebago 29 RQ +
George a Suzuki Toad
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Old 07-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #40
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
I am not tolerant of the of the various smells/noise of others which is why I am a full-time boondocker! I always have at least a couple of acres to myself so for the most part, problem solved. Ed

Except for the "fulltime" part, that's me to a tee, Brother! Stick with the open spaces, the wider/emptier the better.

Unless the Grandkids want to go to a State Park...then I have to break out the Secret Weapon. Nothing like leaving the Kimchi jar open on the picnic table to clear the neighboring sites: those campers be wishin' all they smelled was a cigar!
Old 07-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #41

Told you it was a touchy subject.

I should have added, I'll shut my windows if I don't like what the people on that side are doing.

I also make it a strong point in my life not to run around demanding others change (activities, lifestyles or habits) to suite my ideals.
2013 DSDP 4347, all electric, 450 H.P. ISL
Air & hydraulic leveling
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
Old 07-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #42
Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
... Regardless, while I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would willing smoke a cigar (equal to smoking a package of 20 cigarettes)....
BTW... Just for the record; most of us do not inhale cigar smoke as we do with cigarette smoke, so there is a difference.

I am an occasional quality cigar smoker and a "hopefully-soon-to-be-non-cigarette smoker". I am totally aware of the how pungent cigar smoke is.
There are times on the golf course when my partners are smoking cigars and I am not, and it bothers me, a smoker. When that is the case I stay up-wind of the cigars and hold my breath when I see a cloud of smoke coming my way. I am free to move around to make myself comfortable. The reason that I am not smoking a cigar at that time is that I have a rider in my cart that doesn't smoke and I would be afraid of it bothering him, and that takes all the pleasure out of a good cigar.

My humidor is full and the reason is that I can't usually find a place where I can enjoy a cigar without it bothering someone (including my wife). I can see both sides of the problem and try to be considerate. I would never have the audacity to go next door to ask someone to put out a cigar, a campfire, or quiet down if all was within the rules. I would just close the windows for a while. As many have stated, we need to consider other's right to enjoyment. And as said, we can always move away from actions that bother us.

Today non-smokers are a little to demanding in what they term as "their rights". Someone here stated that if someone is concerned with my smoke affecting their health it's their responsibility to correct the situation not mine... go somewhere more healthful, next to me isn't; don't put the responsibility on me! I question that someone smoking outside affects others health to any extent, after all they aren't breathing the smoke unless they intentionally suck it in.

Well, I don't really have anything new to add but wanted to register as one of the mistreated, misunderstood, socially rejected cigar smokers, so I will just end by saying... give us a break, dial down your expectation of "your rights" consider "others rights" and take responsibility for yourself.

Ron... WB7DJV
2000 38' Dutch Star | 2006 Grand Cherokee | SilverLeaf VmsPc Engine Monitor | TST TPMS
Closed Thread