Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #85

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjhuser View Post
WOW, am awfull lot of hostility in this thread.

Wouldn't it have been simple to adjourn to your coach to finish your cigars?

Rick
No... that would be ridiculous smoking a nasty cigar in the coach. I only smoke outside...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45

Ya and guns kill people too but that doesn't stop people from buying and using them...
Cars kill people and we still buy and drive them...
Suck in the air off the exhaust pipe and your doomed...
Drink enough Coke and it will kill ya...
French Fries will stop your heart eventually,,,
To each his/her own. Just do your best to not bother others while your doin it, Right?
.Assuming this thread is about more than just people shouting at each other.....Blah, Blah, Blah...here's a large can of "Shut the hell up" ( now that's mature) and about a civil exchange of ideas where maybe...just maybe...both sides might be able to learn a little something from each other ...I gather that since you quoted my post you are objecting to something? Are you objecting to me correcting the post that suggests there is NO correlation (just genetics & chance) between smoking and a variety of diseases that kill hundreds of thousands of people each year?

What is it about my post you do not like?

Do you feel it is inappropriate to correct misleading information in this thread? Do you object to me providing a "link" to a credible research body that verifies my point? Do you object to science and/ or do you mistrust the CDC or current medical research relating to smoking? Do you feel that medical science has not adequately proven a "link " between smoking and disease? Is it just genetics and a roll of the dice?

I understand that lots of things kill people, but what's that got to do with me correcting a misleading post as it relates to the topic of cigar smoke? By all means object to my point-of- view, but the least you can do is stake-out a contrary position and support it with something!
Old 07-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #87

OMG!!! The original post was yesterday and already 87 posts! Guess there are quite a few strong opinions.
Guess my opinion will really not change anyone's mind. Sometimes I find myself camped next to people who are bothersome. I try to put up with them, if I can't I move MY site. Sometimes, rarely, someone complains about our camping activities. We try to respect their campsite, but still, if they really don't like it, They can move.
In your scenario I THINK I would have moved the chairs just a little more downwind...if I could. I would not have put out the smokes (or the campfire, or the fish fry for dinner, or the campfire songs.
Face it, you just can't please some people.
Happy Trails.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #88

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
.Assuming this thread is about more than just people shouting at each other.....Blah, Blah, Blah...here's a large can of "Shut the hell up" ( now that's mature) and about a civil exchange of ideas where maybe...just maybe...both sides might be able to learn a little something from each other ...I gather that since you quoted my post you are objecting to something? Are you objecting to me correcting the post that suggests there is NO correlation (just genetics & chance) between smoking and a variety of diseases that kill hundreds of thousands of people each year?

What is it about my post you do not like? *

Do you feel it is inappropriate to correct misleading information in this thread? Do you object to me providing a "link" to a credible research body that verifies my point? Do you object to science and/ or do you mistrust the CDC or current medical research relating to smoking? Do you feel that medical science has not adequately proven a "link " between smoking and disease? Is it just genetics and a roll of the dice?

I understand that lots of things kill people, but what's that got to do with me correcting a misleading post as it relates to the topic of cigar smoke? *By all means object to my point-of- view, but the least you can do is stake-out a contrary position and support it with something!

HEY MODS!

Can I go back on that promise I made back in post number 61? Just this once, I promise. Again.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca

HEY MODS!

Can I go back on that promise I made back in post number 61? Just this once, I promise. Again.
Hey no problem.....I'll do it for ya.

Hey Jack....here's a large can of "Shut the Hell up" for you to open.

Marvellous ....so mature...so constructive ....so open minded.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #90

This thread really strikes home to me as I was a 50 year cigar smoker. Never a cigarette, and never inhale for the " fix". I am aware as are all of us the dangers, that's why I quit 3 years age with cancer, which scared the $$$$ out of me. I quit for myself, so should others, but , the smell of a good cigar is Somthing I really miss. The noise pollution from screaming kids is damaging too, maybe more so, considering most of us have lived long enough to deserve some sanity .
No one talks about the camp fire and grill smoke, which is way more prevalent in close quarters like a camp ground. Just one more reason I "camp" at Wallmart , which is also damaging our health and their little care for their workers and their health.
On a nother note, look up the cancer causes of eating grilled steaks, drinking lots of beers and just the chemicals folks use in their holding tanks along with diesel, gas, and human waste that is everywhere around a camp ground!
Old 07-08-2013, 02:12 AM   #91

Vintage RV Owners Club
I miss the old days. The days when people just lived & let live. The world is gone mad in this nanny governed society we now live in. Pretty soon we'll be so tightly regulated and legislated, that we wont be able to step outside the door...

If a few guys want to smoke their cigars and drink some single malt by their campfire, then they should be allowed to do so. And more power to them. Chances are they work hard for their income and should be allowed a few guilty pleasures on their down time.

I no longer smoke, but I do believe in the rights of individuals to do as they please so long as they don't cause grievous harm or serious hindrance to others.

Cigar smoke is not going to cause any long term side effects to a bystander who is exposed to the smoke for a very short while... BUT people are programmed to think the smoke is 'deadly poison' because of what they read on the newspapers... They react accordingly. Some over react imo.

In fact, its likely that you are more exposed to dangerous carcinogens and life threatening conditions as you sit there reading this post.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #92

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post

I totally support your right to kill yourself (or not) smokin cigars. However, according to the CDC and about a bazillion other research & medical scientists it's NOT just genetics or a roll of the dice.

I know, I know it's not considered to be in good taste to inject facts into one of these discussions.
Good taste has little to do with it, it's down right insulting. Do you really think the people on this fourm are completely oblivious or so stupid they don't know that using tobacco has health risks?

According to you, if anyone smokes they're doomed to cancer. If this were true, why did my grandfather smoke for 70 years and die of "old age"? As I'm sure a "bazillion" others, to use your terms.

Some people are predisposed to get cancer, period, and/or certain types. Some are predisposed to get cancer if exposed to certain substances. A friend of mine died of lung cancer at 60 who smoked all his life. He also worked around idling diesel locomotives for 35 years. Cause of death was "long term exposure to diesel fumes".

The roll of the dice statement is in reference to whether you are predisposed to cancer via tobacco, depending on your genetics or your body to ward off or defeat it.

From UT Southwestern Medical Center:

"So why don’t all smokers get lung cancer? Several reasons. First, one needs to accumulate a lot of these mutations before the cell becomes cancerous. Secondly, for reasons we do not completely understand, some people seem to be more susceptible to getting mutations from these cancer-causing substances than others. Finally, our bodies are remarkably good at repairing the mutations when they do happen, so in many cases they never cause the cell to become cancerous."

People were dying of emphyzema and lung cancer a million years before tobacco use. Is it prudent to roll the dice, no, but it is one's RIGHT to choose what they put in their own body and no doubt anyone who uses tobacco, know the risks already.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post

Hey, I've got some genuine counterfeit Cuban Cohiba's and a few maybe counterfeit Montecristo's... come on over. Got so genuine Wild Turkey and Don Julio 70 sipping tequila...
One day there may need to be a mass meeting of RV Cigar apprecionados!

We rent a pavillion and create a "cloud of smoke and a mighty hi-ho Wild Turkey".

My eyes are red just thinking about it.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 07-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #94

Both my folks were life-long smokers, usually the unfiltered Chesterfield brand.
Dad died of Asbestosis and Mom from Cirrhosis of the Liver, both before reaching 72.
I'm 71 and a smoker who started consuming tobacco only after joining the Navy in 1960. I'm also a reasonably intelligent man aware of the unavoidable and oft tiresome information and bad copy regarding smoking.
Fortunately, exhaustive testing and CT scans conducted a month ago indicate I currently show no signs of cancer, lung, prostate or otherwise.

Consequently, despite the nay-saying and offensive comments offered here and elsewhere, I'll continue to smoke wherever I legally can and whenever I please. I will, however, continue to respect another's wishes, when politely and reasonably requested, by either extinguishing the cigarette or moving to a location from which the smoke doesn’t bother them.

To anticipate some ignoramus’s comment, if my MH smells like an ashtray, it’s mine to do as I wish with it. No need for you fanatical factoid flunkies to worry, you’ll not be invited to visit.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #95

Vintage RV Owners Club
This thread has gone too serious altogether....

Hell.... smoking cigars is the last bastion of masculinity and should be defended staunchly by its final few warriors... Once that's gone, we men will have nothing left but single malt, hot rods & motorcycles... ironically, these are also deemed extremely bad for your health and pocketbook...
Old 07-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51

Good taste has little to do with it, it's down right insulting. Do you really think the people on this fourm are completely oblivious or so stupid they don't know that using tobacco has health risks?

People were dying of emphyzema and lung cancer a million years before tobacco use. Is it prudent to roll the dice, no, but it is one's RIGHT to choose what they put in their own body and no doubt anyone who uses tobacco, know the risks already.

Your quote....

It's genetics folks and just a roll of the dice.[/QUOTE]

My quote was from the CDC. They never said " everyone" who smokes will get cancer....in fact almost 50 million people still smoke and only around (1%) 500,000 get cancer.....pretty good odds. However...still the worst health odds out there....but if you find that bringing "facts" into the discussion is insulting .....what are you suggesting ....more third party stories about relatives?

BTW -never questioned your RIGHT to choose what you put in your body... ... Quote - "I totally support your right to kill yourself (OR NOT) smokin cigars"....Just objected to your suggestion that it's all just chance .....in the face of pretty overwhelming evidence to the contrary.... despite your 93 yr old paternal grandfather who smoked 3 packs of Luckies for 75 yrs.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

I'm a Monte Cristo #2 guy myself. When I indulge and enjoy the experience.
RVM2
I am having visions of a long 60-ring maduro, the thick bluish smoke curling, drifting to unite with the birch campfire smoke. Then, a wind shift eases the combined blessing to me. (Puff-puff-puff). Ahhhh!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 07-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #98

I lke the smell of a good cigar, mixed with the smoke from a camp fire and the smell of a rack of ribs BBQing. But I also like the smell of a nitro burning dragster. Maybe I am just more tollerent in my old age....Now my wife and smoke, that is another story altogether.....
Closed Thread