Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2015, 05:28 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Cigarette lighter fuse

Hi
I have an 04 Holiday Rambler Vacationer and she is a good rig. It seems my 12 volt cigarette lighter or power plugs are not working so I can only assume it is a fuse issue. If you own a HR and can assist it would be appreciated?
Thanks Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2015, 05:46 PM   #2

Rexhall Owners Group
What Chassis ? I had the same trouble in my Ford V-10; Found blown fuse in a block under the hood.

Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:37 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm having the same trouble with my 04 Winnie Itasca Ford V-10. Would love to find a fix for it.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:15 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Chevy 8.1
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:33 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
It may not be a fuse but the housing for your 12v plug you are plugging into.
The 12v is in the center pin at bottom of plug and if outlet is plastic the back end of outlet will break and outlet needs replacement with new metal plug holder.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:56 AM   #6

Check for ground wire continuity. Just a thought.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:06 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Moonrover Thanks
Not sure where or what that is :-)?
Old 08-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocmmz View Post
Moonrover Thanks
Not sure where or what that is :-)?

Do you have a multimeter tester?

First ... set a multimeter to 12vdc and see if there is power 12 - 14vdc to either of the connections on the back of the lighter socket. You will have to clamp one lead to a known ground location under the dash. Probably there will be steel framing under there somewhere. Touch a connection at the back of the lighter socket ... any reading on the meter? Touch the other connection ... any reading?

If you get 12 volts or so from one connection, then you have found that the problem is not a fuse or a disconnected power wire to the lighter socket.

Next, set the multimeter for continuity and using the same steel frame ground for one lead, touch the other lead to the connection at the rear of the lighter socket that is NOT the one you got a power reading from.

If at this point you have no beeping sound from the tester, then you may assume the ground wire to the back of the socket is not doing its job. If you DO get a beeping sound (indicates a continuity of the wire) ... then suspect the flimsy little cigarette lighter socket is crap.

Those lighter sockets are not a product of rocket science. I've never bothered to attempt a repair ... just bought a new one ... They are not expensive. Matter of fact this is your opportunity to purchase a dual socket model (if you have the space). I believe quad sockets are available too.

I think what eventually destroys a flimsy lighter socket is putting repeated stress on it due to yanking accessory plug-ins out of it.

My multimeter and some alligator test leads came from Harbor Freight. Yep, not top quality, but good enough. And price was well within the pocket change that I'm allowed to carry. Wife is the financial manager, and a tough one at that.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:13 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Do you have a multimeter tester?

First ... set a multimeter to 12vdc and see if there is power 12 - 14vdc to either of the connections on the back of the lighter socket. You will have to clamp one lead to a known ground location under the dash. Probably there will be steel framing under there somewhere. Touch a connection at the back of the lighter socket ... any reading on the meter? Touch the other connection ... any reading?

If you get 12 volts or so from one connection, then you have found that the problem is not a fuse or a disconnected power wire to the lighter socket.

Next, set the multimeter for continuity and using the same steel frame ground for one lead, touch the other lead to the connection at the rear of the lighter socket that is NOT the one you got a power reading from.

If at this point you have no beeping sound from the tester, then you may assume the ground wire to the back of the socket is not doing its job. If you DO get a beeping sound (indicates a continuity of the wire) ... then suspect the flimsy little cigarette lighter socket is crap.

Those lighter sockets are not a product of rocket science. I've never bothered to attempt a repair ... just bought a new one ... They are not expensive. Matter of fact this is your opportunity to purchase a dual socket model (if you have the space). I believe quad sockets are available too.

I think what eventually destroys a flimsy lighter socket is putting repeated stress on it due to yanking accessory plug-ins out of it.

My multimeter and some alligator test leads came from Harbor Freight. Yep, not top quality, but good enough. And price was well within the pocket change that I'm allowed to carry. Wife is the financial manager, and a tough one at that.
Thanks for the info. I will need to pull off the dash, looks somewhat rough? Then follow your instructions
Thanks again
Old 08-13-2015, 12:07 AM   #10

This looks interesting, if you have the space to mount it. The additional feature of a voltage monitor catches my attention.

http://tinyurl.com/p6qoff2
Old 08-13-2015, 04:11 AM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
This looks interesting, if you have the space to mount it. The additional feature of a voltage monitor catches my attention.

http://tinyurl.com/p6qoff2
The more I look at this, no 12v sockets are wotking, to tincture cigarette lighter. So, it seems to me one socket bad is probably not the issue?
Old 08-15-2015, 10:31 AM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Update: what a challenge,HR has about three fuse box locations. It took me about 3-3hr days to figure out
Went through every fuse and found that one stupid 5amp fuse was misplaced and caused my AC blower fan, jack stand alarm, acc power socket and outside temp gauge to NOT fuction. What a mess. Mission complete
Zout
Old 08-15-2015, 10:41 AM   #13

Saved yourself a pile of $$ though.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:19 AM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Absolutely

Tags
light, fuse