Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-22-2015, 07:36 AM   #57
I keep hearing about the "government" did this and the "government" did that.

Just who is this government person?

Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2015, 08:43 AM   #58
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I keep hearing about the "government" did this and the "government" did that.

Just who is this government person?
That's that scapegoat hiding over there in the corner.....

1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing,upgraded turbo, 2006 Dutchmen 28' 5th wheel with a 12' slide out and 16' boat behind it all
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #59
Country Coach Owners Club
Here is another civil forfeiture (aka theft by government) in Michigan
Police seize cash, property from Michigan residents in raids
2002 Country Coach Intrigue
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #60
I had time to read the summer of 2007 after I broke my motorcycle helmet. I know most of you play by the rules but cash is still considered legal tender for all debts public and private, not credit cards, debit cards, or electronic funds transfers. Governments are made up of people and people are people with all their faults and graces. Retired policemen telling me that they have secret knowledge and things aren't ass bad as they seem scare me.

Well, here's a case from 2007 that made the national media and was settled but not without considerable inconvenience for the truck driver? Why did he need that much cash? That's the driver's business really but fuel and repairs are at the top of my list. Any of you bought a set of sneakers for the rig lately? Had an injector rack go south?

1986 Rockwood
OldToolmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #61
Well I thought this would be an interesting topic and has proven to be one so far. I seriously doubt anyone is losing there RV in a traffic stop but they could. Some of you claim the police have knowledge that is not being shared with us. This may be true in some cases but the bottom line IMO ... No way, no how should the police be able to take your assets without you being charged with a crime, no matter what. That said I'll take it one step further and say they shouldn't be able to do it unless you are convicted of a crime. I would be terrified to drive around with a lot of cash. Scared of the police taking it, not thugs. There is something wrong there. I swear if that ever happened to me I would be calling 911 during the traffic stop LOL to say I was being robbed. The Attorney General now acknowledges it is wrong and that is being abused and has made a half assed attempt at stopping it. Meanwhile Loretta Lynch will be sitting at his desk soon and she the queen of Civil Asset Forfeiture so everything said and done, nothing changes.
maypo050770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #62
A post above indicated the person who lost his money could not remember where it came from...

If I had more than 30 bucks in my wallet I would know exactly where it came from as I usually use plastic for everything but yard sales on saturday.

It may be issue some place but be more worried about getting hit by a bus in a town with no roads...
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:53 AM   #63
Corrupt Cops

For those of you who think corruption in law enforcement is unusual, please read the following:

Florida Sheriff's Deputy: Fake Evidence, Lying 'Part of the Game'

Florida Town Fires Entire Police Force Amid Found Corruption | Natural Society
monroesilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:56 AM   #64

It is not a problem with bad cops. It is a problem with bad law.

4th Amendment of the United States Constitution:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Seizure of assets applies here. While it is permissible to seize or freeze assets as part of and during a legal proceeding the permanent seizure of all or part of those assets must be adjudicated. Any law which circumvents this is unconstitutional.

Bad law is made all the time. Courts rule regularly on the validity of laws and when found to be unconstitutional they are rendered unenforceable. Of course appeals of these rulings also come into play and can go as far as the Supreme Court before final disposition. The wheels turn very slowly and in the interim citizens are harmed.

The argument many have made in this thread about if you're a law abiding sort it shouldn't matter because it's not going to happen to you is frankly B.S. If it is an injustice for one it is injustice to all.

Mike and Wanda Stoner
2014 Tuscany XTE 36MQ - 2014 Ford Edge Toad
stoners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:30 AM   #65
I was just reading someones blog and a paragraph in there is somewhat related to this thread. Thought it was interesting. The link and quote is below.
Waiting four hours for a cop isn't much fun - Lets RV

"There are reasons why I got out of law enforcement when I did, and one of which was the writing was on the wall back in the 1980s that police officers were becoming revenue agents of the government. Unless revenue can be associated with a police action, either through a citation or the confiscation of some property that can be resold later, it may become even more difficult than ever for regular folks to get assistance from a police officer. That’s certainly the case with the Dallas Police Department.
The roadside incident I experienced last week varies greatly from my experience driving a dog from Florida to Wisconsin Jan. 28 to 30, when I passed no less than 70 police officers running radar. It was, after all, the end of the month, end of the quarter and end of the year — and performance reviews and bonuses were at stake.
I know it sounds bad to suggest police activity is tied to revenue, but my experience as a former police officer and as a motorist stranded in a construction zone on a busy interstate highway suggests that it may be an ugly truth."
maypo050770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #66
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have mixed feelings about allowing anyone to search the MH. I certainly don't have anything to hide, but I'm concerned that they might find some reason to seize my guns.

I'm thinking that they would take one look at us old folks and figure we're not their typical drug dealers, and we're driving a 13 year old MH, and maybe figure it's not worth the trouble to get a search warrant!

What do you think?
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #67
A judge has ruled that there is probable cause for police in Starke, Florida, to seize $190,028.21 in cash from Packers defensive tackle Letroy Guion, and to seize the new truck Guion was carrying the cash in. he was in a high drug area and said he had just cashed his paycheck ? ( I HAVE TO FIND A BETTER JOB) I don't think he was going to buy tires
bulldog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:47 AM   #68

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I have mixed feelings about allowing anyone to search the MH. I certainly don't have anything to hide, but I'm concerned that they might find some reason to seize my guns.

I'm thinking that they would take one look at us old folks and figure we're not their typical drug dealers, and we're driving a 13 year old MH, and maybe figure it's not worth the trouble to get a search warrant!

What do you think?
There is another thread about searching coaches and I made a post that lines up with your concern.

When you surrender your rights you errode them fro us all.
Jay & Patty Executive Director Liberty Farms
County Coach Magna. Magna Carta "Maggie"
99 Jeep GC/05 SAAB 9-2x Aero (AKA Unicorn)
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #69
Ford Super Duty Owner
you all say it cant happen it happend to us we were shiping a box truck
filled with household stuff plus a car we left everything at the port and
flyed home a few weeks later was told our stuff was not shipped after
many phone calls to the us was told everything was taken by the govt.
many more phone calls to usa govt offices i made a appt. to fly up the next
day a nice man said hello lets go to my office there were at least 25 police
with rifles and guns drawn from every branch of govt. was told they got a tip
that were guns in the truck they found nothing and we got my stuff back
they had ripped the inside of car apart seats carpets door panals ect
the truck had a round lock they tryed cutting but failed so the cut the hinges
off many personl things in truck were broken or missing plus there driver
thought it was a disal rig so he left it running for hours and blow up the motor plus cut up the seats and was told i had 3 hours to remove now i had to find two tow trucks to pick up the pieces as they would not fix or repair or pick up anything . so yes sxxx happens cost up 10 grand
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:54 AM   #70

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've also seen the same shameful irresponsible treatment of personal property happen to innocent US citizens when returning from the Bahama Islands on their sailboats and motor cruisers. The hulls were drilled into, water tanks destroyed with hatchets, cushions cut apart, expensive electronic equipment broken into and destroyed. Never any restitution at all. Don't know what the law is now but at this point in time the owner had to wait one year before starting a suit for damages against the state or Feds. All this time the boat was in a yard collecting daily storage fees. Most innocent folks lost thousands and in many cases hundreds of thousands. I speak from experience as my fiberglass water tank was hacked open with a hatchet by the Coast Guard and it would have been worse if one of the guardsmen had not recognized me as an old high school friend. I also owned a boatyard where some of the damaged boats were confiscated and demolished. Most times the vessels were just abandoned and left for my company to dispose of. It cost me lots of bucks attempting to get these out of my storage area. Some we patched up and sold for ten cents on the dollar some we gave away once the title was surrendered by the owner or bank. This is a fact, not fiction!

Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote