Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Civility

I am noticing a greater lack of civility on these forums lately. I know people are passionate about their positions but there have been some virtual "fist fights" lately.

I really wish folks would express their positions even maybe disagreeing with others without trying to belittle one another.

Sa-la-vie, I guess the net allows folks to say and do things they wouldn't in person because most everyone I have met in RV parks is quite civil.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
iRV2 is better, IMO, than others & the vast majority of our members are quite civil, helpful & friendly. But every forum has "problem members". Our Community Rules are quite specific on how to behave here & everyone that registers on iRV2 agreed to those rules in order to become a member.

We don't/won't accept bad behavoir & our members can help us maintain our values by reporting posts they feel are not in keeping with our standards/Mission Statement. Please don't hesitate to report out-of-line posts, or even PM a moderator or administrator for assistance (if we're online, our user names appear in BOLD in the Currently Active Users section). We're here to help make this the best RV-ing forum on the internet (although I feel we already are ).

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
Community Administrator

What Lori said. .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
I am noticing a greater lack of civility on these forums lately. I know people are passionate about their positions but there have been some virtual "fist fights" lately.

I really wish folks would express their positions even maybe disagreeing with others without trying to belittle one another.

Sa-la-vie, I guess the net allows folks to say and do things they wouldn't in person because most everyone I have met in RV parks is quite civil.

Is it because as we get older we get "grumpier" -lol

Has everyone seen the two movies with Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, Ann-Margret, and Sophia Loren ? They are classics.....mandatory to watch them both in my opinion !

Grumpy old men 1993
Grumpier old men 1995

pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I left another RV forum due to the flaming and I agree this one is much better, but I think some from the other forum came here also.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #6

Having a conversation on line gives one a feeling that anything goes simply because there's no danger of getting popped in the nose if you say something that torks the other guy. Texting, IM'ing and all that stuff has taken the real interaction out of relationships that help maintain civility. If you bend someone's nose out of shape it's not like it's a big deal and they can get over it or not.

The wife and I have been RV'ing for over 20 years and so far we haven't found many rotten apples up close and personal, they mostly hide behind the anonymity of the computer screen. We're going out this weekend and just hibernate, no phone, no computer, just us and our puppies.
dapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Mama always said "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all." I enjoy coming to the site and passing time reading all I can from all the people here. Some true RV Savants on this forum. Just read a Newmar slide thread and crazy how smart and knowledgable some people are. There are the few that hate just to hate. Having an issue with a brand or model because of issue you have is understandable. Just keep it professional and respectful.
Bdhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #8

+1 on what Lori said. I'm a member of many forums and was an admin of a non-RV forum for two years. I've seen a lot. This forum is one of the MOST civil and friendly forums I've experienced.

One suggestion that I made in my forum that takes a lot of tension out of posts is to remove the word "you" when disagreeing with someone. The word "you" immediately makes your writing personal. If it's a positive comment, that's great. If it's a negative comment, it's perceived as an attack. For example...

Suppose you disagree with someones opinion. Here are some options:

"You're a moron!" - This is obviously a personal attack. 'Nuff said.

"You're wrong!" - A little better, but it will probably be perceived as an attack regardless of your intention.

"Your opinion is wrong!" - Now it's getting more indirect. It's still pretty aggressive, but it focuses on the person's opinion and not the person. Person is good; opinion is not.

"I disagree with your opinion." - Even better because it's not saying that the person is wrong, but just that you disagree. Now you can present your case.

"Thanks for the info. Interesting point. Here's another side to it..." - Completely removes the "you" from the equation. It's now two (or more) people recognizing the value of each other, but still maintaining the space to present their own facts and opinions.

In my opinion, the vast majority of posts in irv2 use the last two styles of posting. This makes it a nice place to hang out.

Thanks,

Dan.

p.s. I've been in some forums where many of the posts start with "You're an idiot". You might get some help and information, but it's NOT a nice place to hang out.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #9

I've noticed that the malcontents and "misbehavers" at the campgrounds that cause problems for the CG and the neighbors at the CG usually are at the CG 1) as non-RVing guests of RVers, 2) as a part of a larger group of friends that for this one and only time are concentrating of "celebrating" (aka drinking) than they are about enjoying the experience of the great outdoors, or 3) as a small group that are majorly involved in a different activity (fishing, a sports event, reunion, etc) and are at a CG rather than a more expensive hotel.

As stated by others, most everyone who enjoys camping in a tent, pop-up, trailer, 5er, Class C, or Class A seem to arrive at the CG ready to "mellow out" and quietly enjoy the weekend or the week. Most are annoyed, as we are, by the 3 groups of yeahwhos mentioned above.

I've camped in our tent, pop-up, 5er, and Class A and find all noticeably well managed CG to be a wonderful experience. Owners that are afraid to evict are part of the problem. The internet "trash talkers" are quickly weeded out on iRV2. Their (the trash talkers) ill mannered attitudes don't cut it on iRV2. Good job MODS!!!
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #10

We started tent camping in the early 70's, graduated to a partially modified van in the early 90's, then moved to a Class A which was more than we wanted so moved down slightly to a Class C. I've never felt unsafe anywhere and can't say I've ever come across any uncivilized campers. The only place I was a little leery was tent camping in the middle of the woods in North Jersey and we had a mid-sized black bear for a neighbor.
dapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A Learning Opportunity

Ditto on what Lori and Cliff said...
...The staff appreciates member help finding offending posts

So just to help, below is a picture of which "button" is used to "Report" a post (using the OP as an example), if a member thinks the post needs staff attention.

Plus the link to iRV2's Community Rules is at the bottom.

Safe travels

Click image for larger version

Name:	Report Post.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	72834

http://www.irv2.com/forums/misc.php?...ork&page=rules
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:48 PM   #12

Excellent forum you have here. It's a pleasure reading and responding here. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post

I left another forum for that very reason. There were folks on there that were downright vicious! I have found that 98% of the people on IRV2 are very courteous and respectful of the feelings of others. Of course, there will always be those few that we could do without!

Another thing I have noticed about IRV2 is that the Moderators are always fair and respectful. I don't always agree with their decisions, but I realize they have a tough (and sometimes thankless) job of keeping us all in line. I have never see one of them get rude or nasty with a member. You sure don't find that everywhere!

It all comes back to the Golden Rule (my interpretation). "Treat others the way you want to be treated".

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:05 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_public View Post
+1 on what Lori said. I'm a member of many forums and was an admin of a non-RV forum for two years. I've seen a lot. This forum is one of the MOST civil and friendly forums I've experienced.

One suggestion that I made in my forum that takes a lot of tension out of posts is to remove the word "you" when disagreeing with someone. The word "you" immediately makes your writing personal. If it's a positive comment, that's great. If it's a negative comment, it's perceived as an attack. For example...

Suppose you disagree with someones opinion. Here are some options:

"You're a moron!" - This is obviously a personal attack. 'Nuff said.

"You're wrong!" - A little better, but it will probably be perceived as an attack regardless of your intention.

"Your opinion is wrong!" - Now it's getting more indirect. It's still pretty aggressive, but it focuses on the person's opinion and not the person. Person is good; opinion is not.

"I disagree with your opinion." - Even better because it's not saying that the person is wrong, but just that you disagree. Now you can present your case.

"Thanks for the info. Interesting point. Here's another side to it..." - Completely removes the "you" from the equation. It's now two (or more) people recognizing the value of each other, but still maintaining the space to present their own facts and opinions.

In my opinion, the vast majority of posts in irv2 use the last two styles of posting. This makes it a nice place to hang out.

Thanks,

Dan.

p.s. I've been in some forums where many of the posts start with "You're an idiot". You might get some help and information, but it's NOT a nice place to hang out.

Agree completely!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote