Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2015, 09:39 PM   #169

Nice 66 Stepside Rail, got a soft spot for step sides.

I've built a few trucks in my day. One was a 74 short wide bed 1/2 ton GMC slammed 5 inches with a 350 horse 350 and a GTO 4 speed Muncie transmission. The fun part was I made a removable hard top convertible out of it and made the front and bed electric tilt. What a hoot to stop for gas.

And the other a 58 step side Chevy with a 6:71 blower and 2 - 650 cfm spread bore 4 barrel carb's. About 1000 HP at the wheels. Was a bear to drive.
When I get time I'll dig out the pictures and scan them for ya'll to scratch your heads over.
But that was when I had more money than sense!

My best friend is running a 3.5 Isuzu Trooper with a 4:71 Eaton Blower on it. He uses it to pull his Casita Camper in the mountains. A total sleeper.

Speaking of Sleeper, I gotta call it a night. Got a big day tomorrow.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #170

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Well guys, so this thread stays current, Last night the fold down counter extension fell on the floor, the 3/4" screws just pulled out from the cabinet. I put it back together using the plastic inserts, didn't like how it felt, so this morning drilled all the way trough the side of the cabinet, enlarged the holes in the bracket and 4 - 1/4" x11/2"bolts with flat washers and nuts. Not the same as changing motors, but it won't fall off again.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:22 PM   #171

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Well guys, so this thread stays current, Last night the fold down counter extension fell on the floor, the 3/4" screws just pulled out from the cabinet. I put it back together using the plastic inserts, didn't like how it felt, so this morning drilled all the way trough the side of the cabinet, enlarged the holes in the bracket and 4 - 1/4" x11/2"bolts with flat washers and nuts. Not the same as changing motors, but it won't fall off again.
Frank
I'm with you, as in, I'm a woodworker and not so great at engines or metal work. But, believe me, still not leaving things alone. Right now, I'm putting in a shelf behind the J-Couch. It'll be covered with vinyl to match the leather seats. I needed a place for the remotes and to hold drinks & snacks.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:11 PM   #172

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Well a friend of mine bought a Toy Hauler and CLACed it, I helped by welding the spring perches, he is flipping the axles. Here's a pic with the axles removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0522151229.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	629.1 KB
ID:	95023  
Old 05-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #173
YC1

Can I join the group. The wife makes me keep the band aids in the shop. She said she was tired of me bleeding on the carpet!

And because I just can't come up with any useful mods on the RV due to the approximately 200 already done I just changed a perfectly good steering box out for a new TRW one. Out with the Sheppard, in with the TRW. Easy enough mod but heavy for one old guy. Amazing what you can do with a floor jack. It even makes a great breaker bar if you prop a 4x4 lengthwise against a long wrench.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:39 PM   #174

Did a few last minute things to Lynne Coach just so it would be mostly ready to go. Replaced the broken clearance light up on the front cap. That was interesting. Not hard, just a lot of thinking to do on the best way for a one man job. Tube TV had to be dropped out to get behind the cap.

Gonna miss having the MH here to play with.

Yesterday while it was raining to hard to work on the MH I decided to make a different luggage rack for my KLR. Wanted a bigger one an the ability to carry an extra can of gas and my panniers. Had just enough 3/4 inch .85 wall tubing to build it too.

Need to clean up a few welds, then shoot some powder and bake it. Thought about doing this mod for years. The old rack just limited what stuff I could tie on to the bike. Was always stacking stuff on top of each other. Going to be a big difference now. So much more versatile and still quick release like the others.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:10 PM   #175

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Welcome YC1. 200 mods? WHEW!! Yeah, I think you might fit in.

Terry nice work. Rebuilding your own TH and you take the time to help another CLACer. Well done sir.

Curtis times up. You will have to get your own to play with now.

Time to get the new lawn in. What was I thinking?
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:30 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
Welcome YC1. 200 mods? WHEW!! Yeah, I think you might fit in.

Curtis times up. You will have to get your own to play with now.

Funny you should say that Jay. I just picked up a 1500 BTU Roof Top AC for my 17 foot cargo trailer. Been planning on converting it into a short Toy Hauler/ Camper. It's already a toy hauler (Adventure Bikes), but now I can get serious about the Camper part.

I've got these retired friends who still like to ride dirt bikes and we have this habit of taking the dual sports to Moab UT, or the Davis Mountains TX and riding them around sight seeing. A few of these guys are retired professional motorcycle racers so a Mosey down the road is not always the best way to describe their pace.

Anyway. We have these friends in these choice riding places who let us park our Trailers/Toy Haulers in their yard. The Group is getting big and tent camping space is kinda hard to find. Hence the Toy Hauler Cargo Trailer.

Plus Melissa loves to ride motorcycles on the back roads in Red River NM, but hates tent camping. (She'll do it, but would rather 5 Star Hotel it if she has a choice.) (OR MH)

I should add, we don't always take the Big Motorhome for any trips less than a week. And just so you know, if I took my Motorhome to the rides, I've have a Coach full of dirty Riders all trying to take a shower, sit on the couch and eat my food while soaking up my AC. But no one donating for the fuel to get it there.

Yea, I learned the hard way! I like the guys, but it's not my job to make all of them comfortable at my expense.

Welcome YC1! My wife makes sure I have a quart bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide in my cabinet in the shop bathroom. Right next to my Trauma First Aid Kit.

I am NOT ALLOWED to BLEED in the House!
(Off White Carpet)

Well, I'm off to Ace Hardware. Broke a hole saw bit late last night!
Old 06-03-2015, 06:48 AM   #177

Curtis, do you guys ever ride the Temple Mountain trails N of Hanksville, UT?
Old 06-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #178

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I hear ya on being the "Host" for trips without anyone chipping in now and then. Friend of mine used to host some awesome football parties at his place. He and I would cook up some amazing grub themed on the opposing teams city favs. Cost us about $300-500/week to do. We're not talking chips and dips here.

When we would play New Orleans the menu would be something like this:

Shrimp Etouffee
Chicken Sauce Piquant
Blackened Catfish
Dirty Rice
Muffulettas
Beignets
Paired with some really good draft micro beer and wine.

In the beginning everyone pitched $20/person and it covered the menu for the most part. Then came the habit of "Oh I'll make it up next week" which became almost no one chipping in at all. We love our friends, but we ain't paying for meals like that for everyone every week. Once & a while sure. Where else can you get a meal like that and all the beer/wine you want for $20? People just take others for granted sometimes.

Chris is now a chef and owns his own place. We have made some amazing food together over the years. I miss it.

As for tent camping, just cant do it anymore. Body wont take it. I'm a glamper now days. But will gladly go beat myself up on a bike, dune-buggy or 4x4.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:09 AM   #179

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Terry's TH rebuild is coming along well. Take a look http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/total...ml#post2587207
Old 06-04-2015, 07:44 PM   #180

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Guys and Gals, Sally calls me lots of things but CLACR isn't one of them! Here is one project I started but never got to finish as she HAD to buy her Granddaughter a 12x20 above ground pool and told me I had to clear the yard out to make room for it! I was sick having to junk it as it would have been cool. And I only had $75.00 in the truck and $20.00 into the donor car! Truck was a 1956 Chevy 3100/Car a 1966 Bonneville with the old 8-lug wheels, had it all hooked up and running, steel tilt nose but alas it wasn't to be. Worst part was her granddaughter went in the pool 2 times and never did again. Just took the pool down last year, got tired of me being the only one to use it , and that was just to clean it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scan0004.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	96217   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0003.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	96218  

Name:	scan0002.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	96219   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	96220  

Name:	scan0005.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	96221   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0006.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	96222  

Name:	scan0007.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	96223  
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #181

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Bobby,
That was a unique look, too bad you didn't have a chance to finish it.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:23 AM   #182

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The worst part was no one used the damn pool! Just spent tons of money on chemicals and electricity for nothing! Just saw a set of those 8-lug Pontiac wheels they were listed for $2500 bucks, i'm sick! Bobby
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cant leave it alone, clac, projects, tinkerers