Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2015, 08:32 AM   #183

Winnebago Owners Club
Bobby - my brother has a saying about issues like that "Just smile and nod your head".

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to keep peace in the family even though you know it is not the right thing to do.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2015, 09:02 AM   #184

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well the wife might not call you a CLACer but I will.

Brother that truck would have been VERY cool. Never even considered something like that. Love the Bonnie nose.

Shame about that pool and I can relate except I didn't have to ditch a project to make room for a KD Pool that I used more than anyone else, which wasn't much. Now it just sits in a storage box I made for it in the garage. Might set it up again at Liberty for the guys.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #185

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Evening Gang,
Well ordered the fuel pressure regulator today, and lined up a guy to help me and do it in his driveway. Also ordered the 5mm ball end long hex socket that I needed, no one had it locally, except Harbor Freight, but I need a good one so it doesn't round out the inside of the head. So hopefully, both will be here before next weekend.
Now DW wants to add storage underneath the dining room chairs , so after the truck I need to get that done. Of course the waterpump is acting up in the trailer, so I have to tear into that, also the electric dump valves are acting up, so will have to remove and try to free up and lubricate. Just like a house always something.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:19 PM   #186

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just for laughs I'm gonna show you another one I had to get rid of before it's time!It was my 1977 Goldwing I got off my buddy when he decided he liked Vodka more than riding. I was driving by a warehouse and saw the scissorlift hubs and tires in the garbage, seemed they only wanted the scissorlift section in the warehouse to lift stuff up to the second story! Had fun trying to get it together, think it would have been fun to have a hydralically driven Quad with articulating suspension and a big pump driven by the Wings 67bhp motor! Money got tight and my friend who managed to burn his race car fabrication shop , told me it would never work because it had too much unsprung weight, so I sold it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	96297   Click image for larger version

Name:	102.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	513.1 KB
ID:	96298  

Name:	104.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	96299   Click image for larger version

Name:	105.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	388.7 KB
ID:	96300  

Name:	P1010172.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	96302  
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:59 PM   #187

Some years back I chopped the top off a friends Black Trooper and built this Laura Craft Style Roll Cage.
(It was a cool truck until that 16 year old in the right seat started cutting it up to make a tube buggy out of it. Kid had no clue what he was doing. )

Then I cut the top off my White Trooper body to make a SUT.
But I never thought it was enough bed.

Eventually my friend traded his black Trooper to me for one of my Baja Buggy's, and I started planning to CLAC them more by combining them as this Photshop shows.

I already have a 16 foot body and frame jig to set the bodies on for cutting and re aligning them. This will all be one body, no seperate bed and cab. (look at the back doors)
And I have three good frames to make the stretched frame out of, so it will match the factory body mounts in the body. Should just have one splice per side in the frame when I'm done.

And, there is the second fuel tank that will be under there.

The best part is I have a good running 2.2L turbo diesel for this project and a brand spanking new, MUA5 5 transmission with Tera Lows already in the T case for this build

Now if you know anything about Isuzu's, you'll be scratching your head about that TD to MUA5 combo. Those two won't bolt together normally. But, I have one of the worlds few front diesel transmission cases halves that will bolt to the Diesel Engine and replace the front gasser transmission case half. Think "Bell Housing" with the front half of the gear box case built in.
(I have two of these cases) (One new and one used!)

Yea, it's a good thing I have a big shop cuz I got parts I've collected for years to build this truck. (I like new stuff, for some reason!)
I even have a spare motor!

My plan is to use this stretched Trooper as my Toad with a full "Wilderness" roof rack above the body for carrying the kayak and bicycle on. Then add a bike rail in the bed to haul my motorcycle. The diffs have lockers in them and I'll be converting the back one to Full FLoater, so I can flat tow with out spinning the diff, driveshafts or transmissions.
It will have a paint job that will match my Motorhome and the Diesel powered Motorcycle that will be carried in the bed.

I've got everything I need for this project but time! I figure about 4 weeks once I start splicing the frames and bodies. Did I tell you guys I hate body work???? Then about 4 months to build in the rest of it to have a finished truck.

Well, let's see if this will post!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jerry driving Air Trooper 2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	96320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trooper SUT 3.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	96321  

Name:	Stretched Trooper.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	96322  
Old 06-06-2015, 04:05 AM   #188

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Curtis, if Sally ever "REALLY" throws me out, you might see a guy wandering around your neighborhood in a Dodge Dakota Convertible pickup, pulling another one with matching trailer all of them loaded with tools,welders and stuff looking for a home! I love doing bodywork! Looks like your shop could keep projects out of the rain,lol! Bobby
Old 06-06-2015, 05:39 AM   #189

Bobby, if Sally runs you off, come on down. I have a guest house! We could stay in trouble out in my shop. I'd love to have someone here who actually likes body work. I can cut them apart, weld them together straight and get them running. But when it comes to sanding, bondo, and paint I send it out.

I built a 74 GMC short wide bed into a convertible back in the 80's.loved that truck.

I'd post up a picture but I'm on my phone and about to ride to meet the guys for breakfast.
Curtis in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #190

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
Bobby, if Sally runs you off, come on down. I have a guest house! We could stay in trouble out in my shop. I'd love to have someone here who actually likes body work. I can cut them apart, weld them together straight and get them running. But when it comes to sanding, bondo, and paint I send it out.

I built a 74 GMC short wide bed into a convertible back in the 80's.loved that truck.

I'd post up a picture but I'm on my phone and about to ride to meet the guys for breakfast.
The 2 Dakota convertible pickups are "Factory", well lets say supposed to be . They were built under contract with American Sunroof Company in 1989 (2200 units), 1990 (990 units) and 1991 (8 units to finish the contract). She bought hers, mine now in 1991 brand new. I bought my 1989 from PA on ebay and bought a regular pickup with a 8' bed and cap locally from a junkyard my friend owns and made a trailer out of it. I saw a 1991 on ebay but she nixed that, would have been cool to have triplets!Here are a few pics of hers/mine before and after it got in it's one and only accident parked, minding it's own business! Bobby
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	168.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	492.4 KB
ID:	96374   Click image for larger version

Name:	170.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	535.8 KB
ID:	96375  

Name:	164 (2).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	429.6 KB
ID:	96376   Click image for larger version

Name:	073.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	96377  

Name:	P1010103.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	96378   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010107.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	96379  

Name:	P1010110a.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	96380   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010104.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	96381  

Old 06-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #191

I just HAVE to comment , that last pic looks way too much like the robot Klatuu on that old sci fi flick..(The Day The Earth Stood Still?)

I wish I knew how to do stuff like that !
Old 06-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #192

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's a dirty job, someone has to do it! Someday i'll breakdown and get a air supplied respirator, hopefully before I get silicosis! Now if I was by Curtis , might have to get a 40' open top container, lay it over on it's side and build a storefront with big bifold doors so I could blast a whole car/truck in relative comfort!!! Yay that would be cool! Bobby
Old 06-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #193

Bobby
Get that respirator sooner rather than later.
I had a good friend that did body work for many years , then quit cause it was starting to bother him. Too late ,collapsed lung , didn't live long after that.......miss him bad. Don't be him!
Old 06-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #194

I second what Popeye said. Silica is not user friendly.
I have 3 good quality masks. Mainly because I have asthma and must really be careful what I breath.

I use them for metall grinding too. I taped a small magnet to the mask once to see just how much dust was passing into my lungs if I had not had the mask on.

No way do I want all that metal dust in my lungs so it can start rusting.
I use my mask when I mow my yard too.

They are Banks brand with replaceable filters. Not cheap but a lot cheaper than a funeral or a lung transplant. I like the Banks over the paper filter mask because I can wash them and replace any part on them if it breaks or wears out. Plus I can add special media filters for just about any thing I want to spray.

And I hate painting. Unless it Powder Coating.

And good eye goggles will save your sight. Speaking of sight here is a trick I use religiously.

If you guys ever get any metal in your eye, before you rub it take a small magnetic pen with a tissue over the magnet and pass that as close to your eye as you can.

The tissue will allow you to accidentally touch your eye without damage and let you see if the magnet has gotten any thing. Lashes are notorious for holding metal slivers. The magnet trick is great for catching those before they get in the eye and do damage.

My shop trick for the day.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:55 AM   #195

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I like that magnet tip Curtis. I have several mag on a stick probes that would be perfect for that. I'll make sure I have one handy when grinding/cutting metal in the future. Stuff does get past the safety glasses/goggles. I'm liking that Zu project. Just one more reason I need to stop by your place this summer. Gotta see all those projects/toys and that shop.

Bobby get a good mask brother. That project is looking good.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:23 PM   #196

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jay that truck is back together, we use it a couple times a week as we are in the process of fixing up a house Sally inherited from her ex. We sold the other house he left her as she had 1/2 interest in it and his nephew who had the other 1/2 didn't want to clean it out or do anything with it , they were hoarders and are in a nursing home so Sally and I had to clear like 50 years of hoarding out to sell it. That lil truck hauled like 75 loads to the town dump! I hope I can clear out my garage, might get one of those POD things so I can lay some paint on it this summer, it took me years to finally find a company in Canada that repro'd the fading stripes on the sides! I use a p95 cartidge filter when blasting now after doing that frame, but am looking for a air supplied respirator to do it in the future and to paint. Painted a friends chevy years ago with Dupont Centauri with the hardener in it and took a break in my garage and found the p95 was clogged , didn't have xtra catridges and put the final coats on with nothing and ended up coughing up red metallic paint for 2 weeks , never again! Hey Curtis, what do you think of my idea of a container for a whole car blast booth? Heck we could figure out a vacuum system and make it double as a whole car Powdercoat Oven! LOL! Bobby

Tags
cant leave it alone, clac, projects, tinkerers