Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #197

Hey Curtis just read this thread and noticed you mentioned red river nm ....what rv park do you stay at?? DW and I went up there back in March to visit some friends lovely place we want to take the 5th wheel up there in September and just curious on a place to camp...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #198

Gonna need to be a small car. Most booth are 12 to 16 wide just to be able to walk down the side without brushing up against wet paint.

If I get desperate I can use my brothers paint booth in his shop. But I usually take my vehicles to my cousins husband to paint. He's got this Mexican painter in his body shop that is a genius with paint.

Like I said I hate body work. And although I like a nice paint job I just don't have the patience to do it right.

I know a guy who uses clear plastic sheeting, & pvc conduit as a temporary paint booth in his shop. He tapes air conditioning filters to the plastic and a box fan on the other side to maintain a clean air Draft in the booth. He uses plastic bread bags filled of sand to hold the seal at the floor level sheeting. It's pretty slick and breaks down for storage.

I've seen him pull of some amazing paint jobs in it.

As for powder coating in a shipping container it's gonna take a LOT of heat to get it done right and my little 30" X 30" X 58" oven eats up the electricity, so I can't imagine it would save a DIY"er anything over paying the pro's to do something big. I can do bike frames and off road bumpers in mine so that's all I needed. Plus mine is insulated to hold in the heat. A non insulated shipping container would be dangerous at 350 degrees.

Just thinking out loud!

Speaking of PCing I've built a new rack for my trail bike and after I get it sanded down I'm going to powdercoat it today. This one is a lot bigger than my last one.
I built it for deer hunting. It even has a place to carry my deer rifle.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:37 PM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohler30 View Post
Hey Curtis just read this thread and noticed you mentioned red river nm ....what rv park do you stay at?? DW and I went up there back in March to visit some friends lovely place we want to take the 5th wheel up there in September and just curious on a place to camp...
I'll have to look at my notes. It's the State Park to the west . Just on the road next to the river about 2 miles outside of town. It has a few hookups and lots of tent spaces within feet of the water. And an outhouse.
We use the first RV campground on the west side of town for showers. I think the shower is $6 a person and includes fresh towels.

We usually take a motorcycle as our transportation because it's easier to park and will run up into the mountains to the lake north of town.

Melissa will know. I'll ask her in the morning.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:49 AM   #200

I know that river ranch rv park host a biker rally every memorial day weekend. One of the managing couples are best friends they quit their jobs and went full time about four years ago and love it. When and if you get back that way if you meet mark or sherry tell them that you know mike and jean from huntsville.....they are great people.....
Old 06-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #201

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Firing up an oven the size of a shipping container, even an insulated one, would only be practical if you were doing a lot of parts at once. You could do a car as long as it fits in an 8' wide space and you coat it before you wheeled it into the booth on a trolley/cart.

I can only do parts that will fit in a kitchen oven. Have one that was in my shop for doing smaller parts. Wheels fit. I will be looking to make/buy something bigger when we get the shop set up in OK.

Love the durability of powdercoat. Also looking into hydrographic transfer. Pretty cool tech for sure.

Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:30 AM   #202

I did some research today as I am in the Glass Business, when I said to roll a open top container on it's side to make a whole car blast booth I wasn't thinking about DIY, I was thinking of the boost in temps that a all steel container would gain in say 100 degree solar heat and putting a Aluminum/glass addition on it to paint and powdercoat! With movable divider walls, you could make it whatever size you needed, and with zoned gas burners you could get the heat where you needed it. Just was made in conversation as I don't have the room to put it in my backyard! But Curtis does, LOL! Bobby
Old 06-12-2015, 12:38 AM   #203

Hell with all the scrap mirror I have in my shop I could get that container up to 400 degrees with Curtis' sun in like an hour! They have solar storage units that use mirrors to concentrate the sun to a tower that heats salt filled water to store enough energy to make steam to run generators!Bobby
Old 06-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #204

Oklahoma Boomers Club
You need a bigger place Bobby. But not in property tax heavy NE USA.

Yeah, I've seen those solar plants with the mirrors & sodium. Well, on TV anyway.

I have done a bit of research on various types of geothermal and solar heating systems for the greenhouses at Liberty Farms which lead to sodium storage. Geotube systems can be used for cooling as well. Crazy stuff.

Did you check out that graphics video? How crazy is that?
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old 06-17-2015, 08:58 PM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
You need a bigger place Bobby. But not in property tax heavy NE USA.

Yeah, I've seen those solar plants with the mirrors & sodium. Well, on TV anyway.

I have done a bit of research on various types of geothermal and solar heating systems for the greenhouses at Liberty Farms which lead to sodium storage. Geotube systems can be used for cooling as well. Crazy stuff.

Did you check out that graphics video? How crazy is that?
That was amazing! But can they smooth the wrinkles out I saw on the MC tanks? Yes I need more space! Really would love to do something with all the scrap glass and mirror I have, seems silly to put it in the landfills! Gotta do some research on how they make glass beads. The DOT in NYC did the Belt Parkway up here with crushed glass in the asphalt man that was terrible on the eyes at night, millions of little flashes off the headlights! I would have thought it would make a excellent base for a road , but not the topcoat. Bobby
Old 06-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #206

Oklahoma Boomers Club
You cant smooth out the wrinkles, but the sheet is cheap. Just base coat & redip. The trick is to slowly dip while keeping the pattern pulling in toward your part. You will get some warping as it goes around curves. First time I saw the process was on Wheeler Dealers on Velocity channel.

I have an idea for a glass crusher. i will try and post it tomorrow morning
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old 06-26-2015, 09:08 AM   #207

Finally got around to doing something I've thought of years ago.

So for the last 5 days I've been cleaning and purging junk from my shop. ( my shop is slightly larger than normal) Still only 1/2 way through it.

I was given all the parts I needed to build some vice and grinder stands. You know the type where you have a post mounted on a heavy base with a steel plate welded to the top of the post that the vice or grinder bolts to.

I was given three new Dodge rear brake rotors that a guy had that he'd bought by mistake at his auto parts business. He wanted 3/4 ton but ordered 1 ton drums. These suckers are heavy.

I did a front bearing job on my Dodge Pickup about two years ago and saved the bearing hubs. (You have to buy the hubs with the bearings in them and just swap out hubs rather than press out the bearings which is convenient but expensive.)

A friend gave me a 12 foot long 3 inch round metal basket ball post about 15 years ago that I've been chopping pieces off it for various projects. I was down to about 6 feet of it left. So I cut two 26.5 inch long pieces off it for the post on these stands.

Then I had some 6 inch square 3/8 inch plates left over from my shop build from 12 years ago.

In my shop clean up I ran across all the pieces in various nooks and crannies an drug them out and piled them all together. Then one night, late in the day, I decided to go ahead and weld them up. It was only midnight after all!

Talk about a first class set up. I put the hubs in backwards in the drums so I could use lug nuts to bolt the hubs to the drums. Then welded the post to the backside of the hubs like a trailer axles. And lastly welded the plates to the other end of the post.

Now all I have to do is buy a new vice for one post and a new grinder for the other one.

Funny but I just remembered Lynne accused me of having two of everything. And not that I think about it she's right.

Total cost for this project, $8 for 4 new lug nuts to bolt the hubs to the drums. They turned out great!

If I can dig up another hub I'll build the third one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1435328916297.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	98392  
Old 06-26-2015, 09:13 PM   #208

Curtis
If you make a third one , will you get 2 vises or 2 grinders ???
Old 06-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #209

Excellent Job Curtis! Like to have them here. Tired of kneeling on concrete chasing the grinder around, lol! Bobby
Old 06-27-2015, 05:07 AM   #210

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Curtis,
Nice job, they look great.
Frank

Franka548 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cant leave it alone, clac, projects, tinkerers