Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2015, 07:04 AM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpopeye View Post
Curtis
If you make a third one , will you get 2 vises or 2 grinders ???
When I make the third one I'll mount my bead roller to it. Right now I have it clamped in a vice one the tool carts. Some pieces are hard to work because the cart gets in the way.

Actually I have 4 vices now in various places in the shop. Don't want to wear myself out walking across the shop just because I need to clamp something down to work on it. Only my biggest one is broken and I use it as an anvil to beat stuff into submission.

The cleanup is coming together slowly. After I finish this I'm going to take in the Cartport. Then move my wood working tools into the front part of it for Melissa to butcher some wood in and not get sawdust everywhere. Sawdust is like gunpowder in a fire. And I like to weld stuff so the possibility of a flash fire is a real possibility.

Yes, before you guys ask, I do have two big fire extinguishers in the shop.

For the record: I got into the habit of having two of everything back when I was building cars. I hated to have to shut down just because a tool broke or burned out while I was fighting a time crunch to finish a parts build. Because of my day job I did a lot of my work late into the night, and needed to get things built before race day. And running to the harware or tool store after nidnight for a replacement was not an optiion. So the habit stuck with me all these years. Plus when I had someone working with me on their part of the project while I was on the other end of the car I didn't have time to wait on them to finish with the tools I needed.
Yea, what can I say? I'm obessive! You ought to see my collection of drill bits!!!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2015, 03:30 AM   #212

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Curtis, I went to a auction one time and bought a whole wall on this guys garage, for 17 dls. It had shelves floor to the ceiling, with all these old coffee cans, filled to the top with nuts, bolts, screws, all labeled with the contents! There was a whole hardware store of stuff in those old coffee cans! It was so much, it totally filled the bed of my old 66 chevy pickup full! Now most guys, when they scored something like this would get home, and their better half would give them hell, and say (What are we going to do with all this crap!) Not Mine, she was so happy just like me! You see, we had a 110 year old Victorian farm house, that I called ( "never done acres" ) And running to town to the hardware store was a 2 hour deal, every time! So when we would run out of something, we would look at each other, and grin, check the "hardware store" we called it! and 90% of the time, it would be there! I still had some of those old coffee cans, when I sold out! And gave them to my son, with a smile, and said you never know when you might need something! He has them in his garage now!!!
Rail!

Old 06-28-2015, 05:48 AM   #213

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WeGotNoSpare

Hello CLAC,

There is a new member who is having some serious engine issues and he needs help. He has several threads with pictures. Bought an older RV and has totally redone the inside and then had an engine fire.

Please look up his posts and see if you can help him. He is young but seems to be pretty knowledgeable but he needs some more experienced advice.

Please see what you can do to help them. Thank, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:56 AM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Curtis, I went to a auction one time and bought a whole wall on this guys garage, for 17 dls. It had shelves floor to the ceiling, with all these old coffee cans, filled to the top with nuts, bolts, screws, all labeled with the contents! There was a whole hardware store of stuff in those old coffee cans! It was so much, it totally filled the bed of my old 66 chevy pickup full! Now most guys, when they scored something like this would get home, and their better half would give them hell, and say (What are we going to do with all this crap!) Not Mine, she was so happy just like me! You see, we had a 110 year old Victorian farm house, that I called ( "never done acres" ) And running to town to the hardware store was a 2 hour deal, every time! So when we would run out of something, we would look at each other, and grin, check the "hardware store" we called it! and 90% of the time, it would be there! I still had some of those old coffee cans, when I sold out! And gave them to my son, with a smile, and said you never know when you might need something! He has them in his garage now!!!
Rail!
One can never have too many bolts unless you are on a small boat.

I have wooden & plastic slide out boxes on shelves under my work benches that I keep all my loose bolts, washers & nuts in. They are catorigized by metric & sae. Stud, hex or Allen head. Not real organized but it works for me. Those bolts I buy in the same size, in bulk, get the individual plastic organizer trays in a special rack made for those plastic trays.

And in case you are wondering I won't buy just one bolt or nut. If I need one bolt I'll buy 2. Need 6 I buy 10. If I need two bolts I buy 4.

Mainly to keep up the stock of the ones I use the most of. It's a long way to town. Although we did get an ACE Hardware 8 miles down the road thus Spring.

Most bulk buys I get from a place called Arrow Bolt and Supply. Why pay 50 cents for one bolt at ACE when I can get 100 for $5?

Like I say, " It only cost a little more to go first class, I just can't stay as long, with my budget!"
Old 06-28-2015, 07:31 AM   #215

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Curtis,
I had a metal bolt bin with individual compartments, I would go to Fastenal and buy each size and length , then a box of flat washers and nuts, had from 1/4" up to 1/2" and length up to 2 1/2". Before I left, I put 4 of each length in a divided container with a box of each size flat washers and nuts to bring with me. Didn't do much with metric, so I only had a few odds and ends.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:13 AM   #216

Freightliner Owners Club
Lynne,
Do you have his screen name or a link to one of his threads, I looked and didn't find one. I will try to help him out if I can find one of his threads.
Frank
Old 06-28-2015, 08:19 AM   #217

Gulf Streamers Club
WeGotNoSpare

That is his user name. You can search that and find his threads.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:51 AM   #218

Boy it took me long enough to find this thread.... LOL
Some of you may recognize me from a few other threads here..

I'm only 62 years young, but have learned a lot of lessons the hard way. Good thing is that I'm generally smart enough to not make the same mistake twice. I learned a lot from watching my Grampa and Dad. Both men were handy types who would no sooner pay someone else to do a job than they would cut off their own hands. The difference was that Grampa was slow and methodical - Dad was more along the lines of rushing through the job so he could get back to taking a nap with the ball game going on the radio. So for Dad, he often found himself doing the same job over and over again, because there was never enough time or money to do the job right the first time.
Both men were role models in the early days of my handy-man education. I'd like to think that I followed my Grampa more than Dad. I lost Grampa when I was 11 years old and Dad when I was 50 but they're both with me in every project I take on.

I'm a Technologist and Fabricator by vocation.. I am still working for Corporate America during the long days of the week but get out into my shop in the back yard as often and as long as I can on the weekends. It's not a huge shop by any stretch of the imagination at 1,000 SF, but it suits me fine. I was considering expanding, but thought it would be better to just work at reducing some of the clutter and making better use of what I have.

Along with a number of benches and tool boxes, I have a couple of drill presses (one of which was Grampa's old Craftsman-150 which I do not use but lay hands on it every time I am out there for just a moment).. I have a low buck but functional chinese combination Mill-Lathe, Hobart Beta Meg-251 MIG welder, Miller Dynasty -200DX TIG welder, Pro-Tools Rollbar bender, a couple of home made sheet metal brakes, bead roller, 3/4 HP grinder and quite a collection of hand held power tools...

I had to chuckle a bit about the story of the collection of coffee cans with nuts and bolts.. This is something that I too have and thank both my Dad and Grampa for that habit.. I finally spent some time sorting into bins, I still have a couple of five gallon pails that sometimes get dumped over onto an old bath towel in order to dig through them... Still, having the nut-and-bolt bins has saved me many trips into town to the hardware store, or the long 35 mile trek to Menards or Fleet Farm.

I've spent many years building and driving racecars both professionally and semi-professionally. I'm now retired from wheel to wheel competition but I still work on the cars and other projects. Currently building my dream car (replica) when time permits and making a number of repairs and improvements (Can't Leave it Alone) to our 40' Toy Hauler.
I will be retiring from Corporate America in a few months and then spending time out in my shop in the spring-summer-fall, then wintering with my wife Darlene in our Camper down in AZ or TX. My biggest quandary now is - how much of my shop can I fit into the 12' garage of the Toy Hauler!!

Well, sorry for the long introduction... Just thought I would put in my $.02 worth....

Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #219

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
I learned a lot from watching my Grampa and Dad. Both men were handy types who would no sooner pay someone else to do a job than they would cut off their own hands. Both men were role models in the early days of my handy-man education. I'd like to think that I followed my Grampa more than Dad. I lost Grampa when I was 11 years old and Dad when I was 50 but they're both with me in every project I take on.

I had to chuckle a bit about the story of the collection of coffee cans with nuts and bolts.. This is something that I too have and thank both my Dad and Grampa for that habit.. I finally spent some time sorting into bins, I still have a couple of five gallon pails that sometimes get dumped over onto an old bath towel in order to dig through them... Still, having the nut-and-bolt bins has saved me many trips into town to the hardware store, or the long 35 mile trek to Menards or Fleet Farm.

Well, sorry for the long introduction... Just thought I would put in my $.02 worth....
I have to chuckle too! My dad had a way of rephrasing expressions. He said, "Whatever the mind of man can conceive, the mind of man can repair... if he's willing to learn how!" I've spent a lifetime trying to learn how.

I still, much to my wife's chagrin, have a major problem calling a repairman to do something I know I can do. It has nothing to do with the money, and everything to do with pride!

And I too have bins of things I've saved since I was ten years old. Some say that's hoarding. I say it's practical.

I've always been self employed. I'm a nice guy but I don't like being told what to do. I owned an antique restoration shop way way back in the 70's. Woodworking is my thing ("If it doesn't fit then use a bigger hammer!"). Then I changed professions and was able to retire at 55, ten years ago.

You're fortunate. I never met either of my Grand Dads. But every project I do, my dad (who I lost in 2002) is right there beside me, helping me figure it out.

Thanks for posting your story!!
Old 06-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #220

Rail
"Never Done Acres"

I downsized my shop a long time ago but I did buy 6 of those clear fish tackle trays with the movable dividers (about 10x18) and put an assortment of hardware in them to take in the moho.
Then gave all 12 metal cases with plastic trays , still mostly full to a friend that has a handyman business.

I confess to also buying extra stuff any time I'm at the hardware store. Lots of stainless now for rig repairs and my "creations".

It has been referred to as "popeye's hardware" many many times........and has saved my butt , and the butts of others many more times !

I never had dad or grandpa around but did have one of my mom's friend's husband that was a total old school mechanic by trade and hobby that took me under his wing when both of his son's had zero interest in that stuff. Their loss , my gain !!! He was the slow and methodical type. "Do it right ,,,,period".
Old 06-29-2015, 06:46 AM   #221

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Ronspradley, I will see if I can help
Frank
Old 06-29-2015, 08:45 PM   #222

Hi All! Well I finally got around to checking out my electric steps, looked like they were in sea water for 27 years! Took them apart and needlescaled them then coated them in POR 15, they look great but I am bolting a piece of 1/8" aluminum diamond plate on the step to cover some rust through. Motor and control box are shot and not interested in spending $276 bucks to replace them. Found some 12v 4" stroke linear actuators on ebay for $37.00 will try to get one of them hooked up to make it all work off a switch. Otherwise I was informed by Sally that we have gotten along with the fold up aluminum step fine so she doesn't care if I just get rid of the other ones, and no she will not let me spend $400 for a new one, LOL! I love that POR 15 stuff, really makes easy work of rusty frame stuff and is sandable an paintable, will be ordering a gallon to do the whole chassis on the MH. Have to do a little at a time though, neighbors don't appreciate me doing the needlescaling , I try to be nice to them , but they need to put up with me too a little! They wouldn't want me going on strike helping them with their cars, lawn equipment and snowblowing the whole damn neighborhood! LOL! Bobby
Old 06-29-2015, 09:12 PM   #223

Gotta be careful with that POR15. If you get it on you - well - you gotta wear it until your skin sloughs it off....

Funny story was told on an automotive forum I was visiting...

Seems this young fella was out in his garage painting the bottom side of his Mustang with POR15 while having beers with his buddies.. It was well after dark and he needed to relieve himself.. Wife and kids were sleeping in the house and he knew he'd wake them if he went in...
He was wearing the rubber gloves to protect his hands and he remembered to remove them as he stepped out into the darkness around the backside of the garage.. He got his relief, put the equipment away and went back to work with another pair of the blue gloves... Finished up in the wee hours of the morning and was about bombed out of his gourd...

Staggering into the house, he flops down on the sofa to sleep it off...

The next morning he discovered how good the gloves didn't work as his unit was glued to his Fruit Of The Looms!!!!

I'll spare you the rest of the story... LOL

Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-29-2015, 09:32 PM   #224

Freightliner Owners Club
Big-Foot,
That is funny, goes to show that mixing beer and paint doesn't work well.

Bobby,
Glad that you found out why the steps won't work, if there is enough reach on the actuator, I don't see why that won't work off the switches that the original motor worked off of. That way when the switch is in the correct position, the steps go down when the door is opened and fold up when the door is closed. Also the switch that closes the steps automatically retract when the chassis is put in gear should also work.
Frank

Tags
cant leave it alone, clac, projects, tinkerers