Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2015, 07:43 AM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
Gotta be careful with that POR15. If you get it on you - well - you gotta wear it until your skin sloughs it off....

Funny story was told on an automotive forum I was visiting...

Seems this young fella was out in his garage painting the bottom side of his Mustang with POR15 while having beers with his buddies.

Randy
I'm a member of that Forum Randy. I read that when he first posted it.
Poor Guy didn't get any sympathy from us.

We still laugh about that.

The Tech and BS are exceptional on that Forum. You gotta have tough skin to be a member there!

My membership # is only 4 digits, so I've been there a while!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2015, 08:32 AM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGlassMan View Post
Hi All! Well I finally got around to checking out my electric steps, looked like they were in sea water for 27 years! Took them apart and needlescaled them then coated them in POR 15, they look great but I am bolting a piece of 1/8" aluminum diamond plate on the step to cover some rust through. Motor and control box are shot and not interested in spending $276 bucks to replace them. Found some 12v 4" stroke linear actuators on ebay for $37.00 will try to get one of them hooked up to make it all work off a switch.

Bobby
I rebuilt my RV's steps 2 years ago and found that Fleetwood bolted them to the plywood steps that were only held together by wood screws. Better than nails by >< much. As you can imagine, over the years the wood steps pulled apart and sagged from the fulcrum of the weight of people using the steps.

I reinforced the step corners with angle iron and screwed them back together. Then I built a frame out of square tubing and welded it to the Coach Body frame. Then I bolted my steps frame to the new box frame I made.

I weigh 235 lbs and my steps do not give an inch when I use them now.

I had gotten so attuned to the sag they normally had in them, that it has taken me 2 years to re-learn just how high to raise my foot to hit the top of that first step. I tripped over that first step more than I want to count.
And having it sag two or three inches as soon as my weight was on it was just part of what I'd learned to accept. But now it's solid! It's still un nerving that it dosesn't buge when I step on them.

As for the actuators, if you are not in a big hurry they will work fine if you just use an in and out winch relay type control and forget the automatic feature.

I would make sure you have a "Steps are Extended" Light on the dash that is activated by the ignition key so you don't drive off with them out. A simple push type limit switch would be all you need.

Most accuators are SLOW compared to the Factory Step Drive Motors. Even the fast ones are slow.

I have several I use on several different applications.
Bell crank timing is pretty simple to figure.

And if you want to get real fancy, use a remote control winch system.
You can pick them up cheap at Tractor Supply. I've had good luck with the ones I bought there. That way you can put some velcro on it's back and stick it next to the door when parked or near the dash when driving off to work it.
Theirs are more robust and larger than the ones you get at Harbor Freight. Plus they are affordable!

Since this is CLAC!
I have an off road trailer that uses a 225 lb 4 inch stroke accuator to steer the wheels. Going around trees and big rocks in tight corners off roading is a non issue now. All I need is a back up camera on the trailer to see where it's going.

I know you're going to ask. The frame and suspension are made from an small IFS Isuzu pickup someone gave me years ago.

The trailer has it's own battery, (Lawn Mower Battery) that is charged by the tow vehicle through the RV Type trailer plug, to opperate the steering ram. With the remote contol I can steer it with any vehicle I tow it with from the cab of my truck. And I have a steering lock for when I don't want it steering. I used an emergency brake handle mounted on the trailer tounge to unclock the latch. The EB handle has a safety switch that prevents the steering ram from operating when the steering catch is locked in.

It's a pretty cool system, I just haven't built the body for the trailer yet.
Planning on a Tear Drop type box.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:56 AM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
I'm a member of that Forum Randy. I read that when he first posted it.
Poor Guy didn't get any sympathy from us.

We still laugh about that.

The Tech and BS are exceptional on that Forum. You gotta have tough skin to be a member there!

My membership # is only 4 digits, so I've been there a while!
Mine is only 5 digits! I was a pre-Wenzelite (March instead of Nov 2005) newbie. :laughing:

I think most of the CLAC crew would fit in there. :fo2:

POR-15 is some awesome stuff. Don't be fooled seeing how glossy it is thinking that it's a topcoat. UV resistance is probably the one thing it really doesn't do well (and it says so in the literature, so it's not like they're trying to fool anyone). Amazing how well it penetrates and wicks. Kind of unreal how it applies like a very thin paint, but covers like a much thicker product.

I've also used POR's HardNose colored paint and Glisten PC clear coat for raft frames--and used some pearl flake in the clear. It looks really good, even brushed on!
Old 06-30-2015, 04:02 PM   #228

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The attached pix was a labor of love when I was 20 years old.
I made one complete car from two cars. I had a 1971 Chevelle 4 speed 350 v8 270hp. Got in an accident and bought it from my insurance adjuster thru the salvage auction. I bought an automatic version of my original car and turned the automatic into a 4 speed with the drive train from my first car. Had the original 350 4bbl balanced and blueprinted, 10:1 pistons, 3 angle valve job and turned that weak 350 into a healthy 400+ hp fun thing to drive! I put about $6,500 into it total and sold it 26 years later for $12,000. I sure miss that car ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CFAC Car Show.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	98785  
sikorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #229

I graduated HS in '71 , that was everybody's dream car.......well , except for us mopar heads ! The Charger w/440 was one mean m,,,,,,,
Years later I finally got my 440 ,,,but it was wrapped in a 29' class A ! Still sounded like the General Lee when I put my foot in it , just wouldn't fly
Old 07-02-2015, 09:02 AM   #230

I had a 72 Malibu just like that one with a 350 4 bbl and 4 speed on the floor in Orange with white interior. Loved that car. Let my 1 st wife drive it to work for about a year until one day the oil pressure sending unit failed and blew oil everywhere. She said the red light came on and decided to let me know about it when she got home. It was only 36 miles to the house after all. Well, the car made it to the driveway and once she shut it off it never started again.

She did the same thing to the 4WD Subaru Wagon I replaced it with. Only this time the radiator got a rock through it and it got hot. I Slick 50'ed that motor about a year prior to that and would you believe that after I repaired the radiator, filled it with water again it fired up, and never burned a drop of oil. That was one tough little car.

I replaced 6 cars she killed in the 17 years I was married to her. She was high maintenance. She kept wanting a Mercedes, but there was no way I was going to spend that much money on a car she was going to destroy out of ignorance. (Her new husband just gave her a New Corvette! I'm taking bets on how long it last!) (He travels a lot and is not a mechanical type at all. But he's rich!)

Was talking about the stearable trailer I recently built, and finally got some pictures of it to share. It uses the same wheels as most of my vehicles, so it will never need new tires. Notice the angle of the wheels. I turned them for the pictures! Once I get the body built it should be very unique!

Like I said, "I can't Leave It Alone".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02210.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	472.6 KB
ID:	98952   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02212.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	528.6 KB
ID:	98955  

Old 07-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #231

Trailer is way cool !
Old 07-03-2015, 08:31 AM   #232

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Curtis,
I agree with rvpopeye, way cool. Is that a fuel tank I see between the frame rails?
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:06 AM   #233

Winnebago Owners Club
Sure looks like a fuel tank. Add a small pump and you have a fueling station.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:03 AM   #234

Yes it's a 26 gallon Rodeo tank complete with skid plate. It is plumbed and wired to the tongue. It has a boat connector at the tongue that will allow me to transfer fuel with an electric fuel pump to my 4WD truck via another shorter jumper hose plumbed into the filler neck of the Rodeo with another boat fuel connector set up at the rear bumper. Or pump fuel to another vehicle with a longer fuel hose and a shut off nozzle like at the gas stations.

I dislike gas cans because they can be stolen too easy. I'll have one small one "empty" in case I want to fuel a PWC boat or something I can't get parked next to the trailer. Like say, someone out of gas on the side of the road or a heavy generator I don't feel like moving.

My plan is to build a tear drop clam shell body for the trailer that I can load a trail bike in the rear of the trailer door or sleep inside with a drop down bed frame off the side wall inside while the bike is unloaded. Closed the claim shell will reduce the overall height of the trailer box to reduce drag aerodynamically. It will have canvas sides, when raised, for headroom when in camper mode.

The coolest thing I built into it, since it's a torsion bar suspension, is I added 12 volt electric actuators to the torsion bar mounts at the frame so I can adjust the torsion rate of the suspension depending on load or terrain. And the shocks are OEM.

Should be able to fit any one of my Adventure Bikes inside once I get the body built. And the will be a kitchen box inside that will slide out and hang on the outside wall. Complete with sink and propane stove. The propane tank is mounted to the left rear corner out side the box. It has a very strong cage around it.

There will be another spare tire, once the body is done, on the right side that will be in the same spot as the one on the left now, only this one will be on a swing out arm like on the back of an off road truck.

In addition, the tire will rotate 90 degrees on the arm or flip up if you want to call it, and make a table area. The spare tire cover will have a round hard side that will be the table top when the tire is horizontal.

I've already built the swing out arm. It will cover the side entry door to the box when traveling. A few light weight folding bar stools and I'm set.

Oh and I already have the large awning for the right side of the trailer..

This has been a work in progress over the last few years as I get time, money and ideas.

Yes it will be heavy when done. Compared to a straight axle non steerable trailer. I will drag it to be a base camp and unhook it and go play with the 4WD Truck or ADV bike.

The Rodeo has so much done to it you wouldn't believe it. Even more tricked out than this trailer will be.

Why Be Normal?
Normal is BORING!

CLAC

Almost forgot to add the trailer steers using a 225 lb 12 volt actuator to push /pull the steering tie bar and is remote control from the tow vehicle. There is a battery box built into the floor for a lawn mower size battery to run it and the fuel pump. It will charge from the tow vehicle just like a trailer electric breakaway brake battery using an RV Style hook up plug.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #235

For those of you that like POR, here is another paint to try:

Miracle Paint Rust Killer-hirschauto.com

I have used it with great results.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:05 AM   #236

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Nice Curtis, you have put a lot of thought into that trailer and it shows. It will be a wonderful trailer when you finish it.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #237

Curtis ,,,,,a row a deze.

Another one of your wonder creations.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:55 PM   #238

When all said and done it will be very close to looking like one of these.

Tags
cant leave it alone, clac, projects, tinkerers