Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2015, 05:40 PM   #29

OK, you guys are basically talking my native language (sort of). I retired two years ago, but worked my entire career as a mechanical engineer, specializing in machine design. I got my P.E., but mostly worked in industrial jobs.

During nearly all of that time, I designed it, then built it. I felt like I should have been on Home Depot's payroll, since I spent so much time there. It turned out that whatever I need to put together needed a slightly different fit or connection, so I had to modify and adapt what somebody else was selling.

Now that I have a motor home, I'm doing the same stuff. Don't get paid for it, but I don't have to pay someone else, either. Hats off to people like Curtis and Frank; I don't get into the really heavy stuff any more. The biggest project I've tackled here was replacing the NOCOLD with a Samsung.

Still, it's ongoing, so this is my now career now.

It's like my mom used to say "Bless his little heart, he can take anything apart!"

Tom

TLGPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2015, 05:50 PM   #30

After joining the Cant Leave it alone club--might I suggest two others: the "fix one, break two" club; and the "let perfect become the enemy of the good" club....

Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #31

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I guess that I've spent most of my life taking things apart and fixing them. Erector set - remember those? Bicycles, appliances, furniture, cars, apartment buildings. My last 20 years in the Marine Corps were in bomb disposal (EOD for the acronym-afflicted) trying to stop things from working.

Now retired, I am the King of Projectland I never get tired of it. Just can't leave things alone...
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:24 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why not girls, I want to start on the furniture and I know how to recover and paint. I'm also pretty good at caulking!

Give me the manuals and I can fix quite a bit. I read them. Anal about that stuff.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:08 PM   #33

Wow, you guys have some really mad mechanical, technical skills. Just read threw Terry's "Total Rebuild" thread and you guy's, Terry, Curtis, Frank, Jay and others what y'all have accomplished is amazing, you guys rock. I thought I was pretty handy until I read what y'all have done. I'm envious of Curtis and Terry's shops, I have one side of our two car garage...occasionally when the DW has appropriated it for "storage." The DW just hates it when I go to fix something and it isn't broke, yet.

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:12 PM   #34

can you just sign up , or do you have to get voted in...
Old 04-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #35

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Welcome to all the new people. Glad to see this attract some new folks.

Lynne - The ladies are welcome as far as I'm concerned. If ya have skills and just can't let "OK" be good enough and you love tinkering you will fit right in.

This forum is for sharing what you have already done or for projects you would like to do, general conversation about tinkering, improving, rebuilding etc. If you already have it posted elsewhere, just share the link(s).

Here was my project suggestion for the gang of us that had talked about getting together. I think we can put some of those makeover/rebuilder folks on TV to shame with the skill set in this group. Lynne if you want the upholstery/fabrics portion.....

Knock this thing out as fast as Foose does an overhaul? Maybe.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:40 PM   #36

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
can you just sign up , or do you have to get voted in...
Just participate and you're in.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #37

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
TLGPE,
Welcome, you are only about 50 miles from me here in Brooksville.
Jay,
You forgot the killer paint job from bap.
And I also welcome all the newcomers, we got started giving suggestions to Terry on his build, and everyone has something useful to add no matter what the skill level, so no one should be afraid to share your thoughts on any of our projects.
Lynne,
You fit right in with this bunch, you always have good insight on things.

The decals are starting to peel on my 5er, I am thinking of removing the bad ones and using a 2" touch up roller to paint them on rather than spray, because of the proximity of expensive MH's near by won't be until we get up to Ohio in June before I start, if I can wait that long, lol.

Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:59 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Looking for a project. Lets go big! This would be unique.

Neoplan N4421 Articulated Bus,Diesel,Lhd (91629) - Buy Neoplan Product on Alibaba.com
Old 04-04-2015, 08:54 AM   #39

Manuals are for back up when you can't get it right by guessing at it.

Especially when your buddy doesn't have a clue how to fix it either.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:00 AM   #40

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Gordon - Seen a few of those on RVT. A while back I posted about one on Total Rebuild and told Terry that should be his next project. He wants to go play for a while with his TH. We tried to talk him into it. He wasn't going for it.

One of those would make an interesting project for sure. Not sure what the resale of it would be like if we planned to build it and sell it on. For that matter it could be made into one heck of a mobile shop. The Guild of RV Overhaulers? (like the firm on Restoration Garage but mobile) Hmmmm.

Wait wait wait, aren't we supposed to be thinking about sitting in the easy chair and enjoying our retirement? Ha!! Can't really see any of you folks just sitting around with now project at all. Otherwise you wouldn't be here that's for sure.

Frank - While I had paint on the mind I forgot to add it and I agree, BAP should be lead on the paint job. His DW does nice work on the interior stuff as well. Imagine her and Lynne working together on this one. Zmotorsports would be great with any suspension/frame items/issues. Curtis is the powerplant swap king. Not meaning to leave anyone out here, there are so many skills in this group it would take all day to list them all.

Bubba1 - I'm sure most of us have at one time or another had DW take over part of the garage. Mine is gaga about holiday decorations. One whole wall of our 2 car attached garage is lined with shelves of tubs for all of those decorations and while I wish it was a workbench instead, keeping her happy is how I get away with dragging home projects. Nearly all of it is going up for sale soon because we wont have a house or shop to store it all in since we are about to go FT and the property we have in OK does not yet have a shop or home on it.

As for the mad skills, some of acquired them from our work lives, others from their hobbies and passions. But between us I suspect there isn't a thing we couldn't do when it comes to something on wheels. If you have the tinker gene you'll fit in here nicely.

I really look forward to tossing around all these projects and idea with you guys & gals every day. All my project focus lately has been on getting things tuned up on the S&B and getting ready to sell it. Just not the same as working on something with wheels which has been a life long passion for me. So being on here and seeing your projects at least I can live it through you while I don't have a project in the works. Bonus that you are all a great group of people beyond the projects.

Since we are selling our current base of operations, including my shop about 10 miles from our S&B and there is nothing but power and a well on our ranch in OK, it will be at least a year or two before I have someplace to start another wheeled project of my own. We are however building this on the ranch. Construction begins this summer. We did a $1/yr ten year lease of part of the ranch to the nonprofit we started to help disabled vets become independant.

Ranch photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ranch 2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	90531  
Old 04-04-2015, 01:46 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Okay, here is a project that I have to do over, (again) its a GMC Syclone converted to a small block Chevy w/turbo 400 and a panel truck conversion (pulled the windows and welded in panels in place) unfortunately a deer got in my sons way at 55mph and did in the windshield and pass door, when I get the chance I am redoing it w/a new SB upgraded suspension and a ford 9 inch for a rear, also tubbing it to keep the tires under it. I think it will make a neat toad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0404151406.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	736.4 KB
ID:	90540   Click image for larger version

Name:	0404151406a.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	711.7 KB
ID:	90541  

93 Monaco Dynasty 300HP (for now)
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:33 PM   #42

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I like it Terry.

I'm hoping my next car project I can take on the idea of pushrod suspension. The way those function they really keep the car flat in the corners. A hot rod that can corner like a supercar? Oh yeah. Especially in something that doesn't really look like it would go and drive like that. Thought about doing that in one of the spiders with all wheel drive and about 350hp.

Tags
cant leave it alone, clac, projects, tinkerers