Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #71

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
Oh man could I bore you guys with Motorcycle builds!

But I'll save most of them for later.

Since we are talking CLAC I thought I'd post up a shot of my Motorcoach back when I did the conversion.

Here I am right after I pulled the EFI460 Ford motor.

The 2nd photo is the old engine as seen from the drivers seat.

And 3rdly Out with the old, in with the New!

Oh and this was all done by myself (alone) outside, in the Summer, before I built my Shop.
Nice Curtis. That will get you over the hump a lot better I'm sure. Wait till he tells you about the bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Grew up on a farm, and dad was a mechanic, so we fixed everything, no taking anything to the shop. Lived in a 100 year old farm house and we jacked the house up to put new walls in, it had the old clay tile blocks and it was only about 5' tall, we used an elevator (like you used to put hay into the loft) to take the block out of the basement so we didn't have to throw it up. Then worked in the maintenance shop in a strip steel mill were you didn't always have new parts to keep the machinery running. What I am trying to say, is I learned from some of the best old timers around about how to tear things apart and fix things without any prints or manuals, just seat of the pants.
Frank
There was a time when that was a common way to learn and the way people lived. It's rare now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post
Now I also have a Class A. Ya know those fabric valances that look like a 1950s granny designed them? Tore it all out. New wooden valances and new curtains. And it didn't really need fix'n but I did it anyway. And there's a lot more that doesn't need fix'n that I'm gonna be fix'n.

If I'd wait for something to need fix'n I wouldn't have anything to fix. Does that qualify me as a Can't Leave it Alone kinda guy?
Falcon you certainly belong here. Not waiting til it's broke goes to the heart of CLAC. Agreed about modern tv's. Put a lot of guys out of business too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba1 View Post
Uh Oh, there's rules? Now you tell me.

Mike H
Just enough to keep the riff raff out Mike. If we really followed the rules we would never get anything done. Of course all iRV2 rules must be observed so our friend John doesn't have to get out the whip.

1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #72

There are rules...

Then there are laws...

Rules are often seen as guidelines...

Rule stating to not go over speed limit...

Law of gravity difficult to ignore

Old 04-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #73

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well DW has given me the greenlight to find an older class a pusher as a project. Says I have to make it resalable and keep to a budget that makes that work. She knows I will be impossible to live with if I dont have something to overhaul.

She watched me as two of our vehicles loaded up I the transport for parts elsewhere. Told me I should use the money form those and the other 2 that are leaving us and order a shop building. I had to promise we would still spend a lot of time on the road the 1st two years and even went so far as to say she is going and I'm welcome to join her. So unless I plan to live in the shop, I guess I better go with her. On the upside who knows what I will drag home from that.

So I guess my new shop in Oklahoma will go up sooner rather than later. Wont cost much more to add pads and hookups for any of you that want to stop in and get your hands dirty since I already have to put one in for ours. Can also serve as a place to service your own rigs if you have the need as you're passing by, not that the place is anywhere close to a major highway.

This is close to what I'm thinking I will put up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shop.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	90793  
Old 04-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #74

A building is my biggest hurdle right now. Only being back to South Dakota in the winter makes outdoor projects a little rough.

My biggest tinker toy right now is the coach. I have several threads in the Newmar section for my mods. If I had my own shop it would grow from there, fast.

I'm now thinking about making front seats into massage seats, with ventilation.

Here's a few past projects.

My last bike

Name:	misc 001.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	90802

A few past customer cars

Name:	misc 013.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	90803

Name:	misc 029.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	90804

Name:	misc 031.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	90805

The project I can't seem to be home long enough to finish. Custom axles, transfer case and small block Chevy swap.

Name:	0123091256.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	90806

What I do now. Start with this:

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	90807

And make it look like this with no paint or filler. All metal work.

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	90808
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #75

Gulf Streamers Club
Love the Studebaker station wagon.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #76

I had a little over 800 hours in just body and paint.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #77

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
There are rules...

Then there are laws...

Rules are often seen as guidelines...

Rule stating to not go over speed limit...

Law of gravity difficult to ignore
That one cost me a speeding ticket in CA. Only one in about 25 years too. New rig and just not used to the smoothness and let the speed build too much going down a hill. Over a month ago and I still don't have word from the court on the amount owed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:22 PM   #78

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nice rigs John. Love the Studebaker.

I hear ya re shop space. Darn cold winters up your way. Driven through them a few times. Brrrrrr.

Our S&B is in a development so had to buy some property down the road a bit to put up a shop. A normal 2 car garage just wasn't practical. No place to store the toys or restore them. Sold that already but the new owner has been kind enough to let me store some things there until the end of summer. Most of it is in a 20ft container that will soon leave for OK. The last 2 cars should be gone soon.

I've had one so long now I can't imagine life without one even if I was clear across the country from it 1/2 the time. I'm ecstatic DW is no longer resisting putting up the shop sooner rather than later. Especially since I wasn't nudging her when she decided and told me. OK, maybe I was when I looked so pitiful as some toys were being loaded on the transport.

Anyway, there will be a bulldozer grading some ground for three 1.5 acre greenhouses (thats another long story) late summer, may as well have him do the shop space and RV pad area too while he's at it. Then there will be someplace to drop ship my shop package

So maybe it will be up before winter this year.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:32 PM   #79

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jay,
That's my kind of shop, had one that was 36 x 68 with 2 12x12 doors with a man door between, If I had it to do over again, the doors would be 14' high, both my 5ers were over 12, so had to leave them outside. Miss the old girl when I am working on something, but then I remember how much it cost to run the 300,000 btu Reaznor heater and its all better.

John,
nice projects, you do great work.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:48 PM   #80
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
16' high walls, 20X14' doors, 8" insulation in the walls and I think 12" in the ceiling, 2 upper and 2 lower double pained windows on one wall, and four upper and four lower double pained windows on the other wall at 60 degrees it costs less to heat the garage than the house right next to it.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:11 AM   #81

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Nice John,
I like the 80* weather down here in Florida, You don't mind doing things outside.

Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:11 AM   #82

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Heating a shop in a cold climate can be costly. Now WA is not exactly cold, nothing like the guys that live in MI or NY or the Dakotas, but it does stay cool for a good bit of the year. Good insulation goes a long way.

I have/had two methods of heating. I acquired a furnace that burns used motor oil from an old auto repair shop that closed down. I put in an oil recycle station (bar sink with a drain to my holding tank) and all my friends and a few neighbors, the DIY folks anyway, dumped their used oil there. We do a lot of hot-wings parties and also fry several turkeys each year and always dumped the used peanut oil in there as well. But we didnt always have enough used oil for the system.

The second method is a pellet stove. You would be amazed at how cheap they are to run and how well they work. From a cold start it can take a while to be "warm" in the shop. Between my friends and myself there was almost always someone in there working on something so it was rare the heat was not on for more than a day or two and the oil furnace was set @ 55 when no one was there. Everyone chipped in for pellets which we would buy by the pallet. I'm going to miss that group of guys.

I will be using similar methods at the new shop. Gets a bit cooler in the winter in OK. So you guys and gals will have to drop by and do your oil changes and keep the tank full. Of course most of the year the bay doors will be wide open because I have no plans to put AC in there. Might be a while, if ever, before I put in a lift big enough to lift a 45 ft bus, so a drive over pit will have to do.

On another note, this guy certainly has a set of skills. The look is not my cup of tea, but the project on the whole is amazing. There are some stills here.

I watched "Tiny House Nation" for the first season in hopes of seeing multipurpose space saving ideas like this and sadly saw very little that was impressive on that show. I also kept yelling "get a used class a or 5er and save some money" at the TV all the time. I stopped watching in disappointment as well as being sick of the made up drama these reality shows always have, especially the phoney time deadlines where the whole project is doomed if not finished before 5pm Friday. The camera crew has to leave so we have to hurry and finish.

Anyway too bad the guy who built that rig is "Down Under" i would love to see it and have a beer while exchanging ideas.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:26 AM   #83

Oklahoma Boomers Club
So poking around the threads as usual last night and up pops this one

As if I don't already have enough tools, this guy pops up with a reminder about another one I want to acquire. Right now I'm trying to talk myself down. You have no room until you move, you have no room until you move, you have no room until you move. DW is chanting with me but...
Old 04-09-2015, 09:37 AM   #84

Melissa just walked into my office with a waste basket made of screen and asked me if I could use it.

My very first thought was, Hey, the chimney on my Office's Ben Franklin Stove needs a new cap, and that screen basket along with that new large stainless steel dog bowl I bought the other day, would make a good chimney cap."

Then I stupidly tried to explain it to her.

She rolled her eyes and me, shook her head, then out of the Office!

And today!
Waiting in the Brown Truck today with the parts I need to get another project going.

And on the other hand!
I just bought a table on EBAY for $74 that has sink cast into it with a single hose faucet. I Was going to build a table with a stainless sink in it for cooking outside the MH when camping. Just the cost of the sink I WAS going to buy was more than this entire table. One less project down.

And I've got this neat storage space in the Motorhome to carry it too!

Our Church is having a camp out next weekend and we have one guy bringing the trailer mounted BBQ grill (A Texan requirement for camp outs) and another a camping stove and monster Ice Chest. I told them I'd bring a table with a sink for cooking and cleanups.

Now I don't have to built it!

[Forest Gump]One less thing![/Forest Gump]

Tags
cant leave it alone, clac, projects, tinkerers