Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
OK guys. How about we drag this thing down to Curtis' place in Texas and tag team a major upgrade project?

Here is my list:
Upgrade the genset to a diesel.
Add Aquahot
Add 2 slides
Upgrade the interior, especially the bathroom.
Maybe some engine tweaks for a little more power.

Anything else?
Awesome! All those are must-do's.
As I've mentioned in previous threads, I'm thinking I need to retrofit in aquahot/motoraid for my own hot water and furnace (aux heat).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
TLGPE,
Welcome, you are only about 50 miles from me here in Brooksville.
Jay,
You forgot the killer paint job from bap.
Where would I find some examples of BAP's paint work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba1 View Post
Terry that Syclone is one sweet ride and would make for a very interesting toad. A new LS9 crate motor would slip right in there. Of course then the problem would be Not frying the rear tires! Of wait, that would b my problem if I had a ride like that.
Consider a Ford Explorer 8.8 rearend. It will come with 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern that will fit the Chebby wheels, and it's nearly as strong as a stock 9"...including 31 spline axle shafts, and it comes in stock flavor with rear discs and available 4.10's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
I can't hardly count the weird combos I've built, I once had a 4X4 Ford Pinto built on a 3/4 ton jeep PU frame. One of my first mud boggers.
My forum namesake. '87 Toyota 4Runner on 3/4T fullwidth axles, rear discs, 5.38's, welded rear/locked front, chromoly shafts, dual transfer cases and deeper t-case gears in the rear. Was auto and I swapped in a 5-speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba1 View Post
Uh Oh, there's rules? Now you tell me.
"Thou shall not buy what can be built!"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user44480_pic7853_1274723898.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	90978  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2015, 02:32 PM   #86

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Consider a Ford Explorer 8.8 rearend. It will come with 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern that will fit the Chebby wheels, and it's nearly as strong as a stock 9"...including 31 spline axle shafts, and it comes in stock flavor with rear discs and available 4.10's

Hi MT, I just happen to have two Explorer rears and a heavy Ranger rear, I'll have to check it out.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #87

I'm not sure what the heavy Ranger rear has--it may only have 28-spline axles or it may have 31spl, but probably has 4.10's. Guessing it won't have discs.

Buddies of mine have been grabbing Explorer rear axles and putting them under 5.9L ZJ Grand Cherokees, they have to move the spring perches and adapt the e-brake cables.

They then run XJ Cherokee front axles since they're high pinion, but have the same front link brackets as the low pinion factory ZJ axles.

With chromo RCV axles, they're running 37's.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:37 PM   #88

Winnebago Owners Club
I've been a motorhead my whole life and am always tinkering with wheeled vehicles. We recently bought an '06 Minnie Winnie and I am still going through the thing, fixing little issues, learning how thing work, where components are located ETC. I won't feel comfortible until I feel like I "know" the thing inside and out. I am a drag racer and I'm always trying to make the car quicker and faster. I also have a '66 Coronet convertible (used to be my dads) that I recently finished restoring the interior - took 3 years. This would describe my situation - " A man with too many possesions will become possesed"
theman440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:41 AM   #89

When I was a 20 something kid ,I had a Coronet that I put 340 heads on the 318 that was in it movin' little machine , put about 100k on it , did a rebuild , got another 20k out of it before the Coronet rusted away , set the motor in the backyard with the carb off a few more years .
Grabbed it during winter w/ the block full of water and ice , put it in the shed w/ a torpedo htr to thaw it out , squirted a mixture of every kind of oil I had in the shop in the plug holes , put a half inch breaker bar on the crank pulley , jumped on it till it started to turn , pulled the 4 barrel intake and replaced it w/a 2 barrel , dropped it in my Sweptline PU , dragged it down the road in 2nd gear w/the jeep to pump up the lifters ,fired right up (with a giant cloud of smoke!) still couldn't touch the pedal without leaving a couple thousand miles of rubber on the pavement got another 40k on that truck...
Took it out of that PU instead of fixing the rust and got another Sweptline , put it in that , got another 100k out of it traveling back and forth across the country , junked that truck and gave the motor to a buddy that had another Dodge. Just couldn't kill that mill !
If there wasn't so much salt on the roads here in Maine I'd probably still have the Coronet . But I miss the old Sweptlines more .
rvpopeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #90

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Awesome! All those are must-do's.
As I've mentioned in previous threads, I'm thinking I need to retrofit in aquahot/motoraid for my own hot water and furnace (aux heat).

Where would I find some examples of BAP's paint work?
He could show you faster than I could.

Quote:
My forum namesake. '87 Toyota 4Runner on 3/4T fullwidth axles, rear discs, 5.38's, welded rear/locked front, chromoly shafts, dual transfer cases and deeper t-case gears in the rear. Was auto and I swapped in a 5-speed.
"Thou shall not buy what can be built!"
That is one cool Yoda! Have I seen pix of that on some off-road forums? Have some friends that are really into those. They try to break them, then re engineer what breaks so it wont. I'll have to try and get some pix. Exocages are common in our group. So are dual transfer cases. I'm planning Dana 6's for my WJ Jeep. Current suspension (Clayton Long Arm) shown in photo. Will attempt dual transfer case (no one has yet pulled it off with a QudraDrive) and my exo-cage design is similar to the Landcruiser in this photo (I do cleaner work, his first welding job) using the factory sheet metal to fill in the spaces, after I turn it into a 4 door pickup (think Avalanche).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yoda.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	91048   Click image for larger version

Name:	wj.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	91049  

1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 01:18 PM   #91

Pirate4x4.com ring a bell?

That's probably the only place I've widely posted pics.

I built a Formula Toyota (tube chassis on Toy frame with all Toy running gear) in late 2008.
I parted out the 4Runner back in Apr 2013.

Spending some time hiking and mtn biking, but the girls are getting interested in driving, so what better way than with compound low!?

Sounds like a good challenge doing duals on that Quadradrive. Using a 231 t-case with a 2nd 231 (Rock Lobster?)
Old 04-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #92

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:

I built a Formula Toyota (tube chassis on Toy frame with all Toy running gear) in late 2008.

Spending some time hiking and mtn biking, but the girls are getting interested in driving, so what better way than with compound low!?

Sounds like a good challenge doing duals on that Quadradrive. Using a 231 t-case with a 2nd 231 (Rock Lobster?)

Been to that site, yes.
Yes to rock lobster. Moab is heaven on earth to me.

99 WJ Quadra-Drive (NV-247 transfer case with Vari-Lok axles) utilizes a gerotor coupling in the Quadra-Trac II transfer case and in the Vari-Lok front and rear progressive axles to send torque to the front driveshaft and/or from side-to-side within each axle when wheel slippage occurs; includes low-range (2:72:1) single-lever transfer case mode operation.

In high range the gerotor is used to send torque to the front axle, in low it mechanically locks. To lock in high, the progressive coupler (gerotor pump/clutch pack) would have to be bypassed. The 247 was not designed to let that happen. That would be a complexity that would have a very high cost/benefit ratio. Something to consider. I'm a K.I.S.S. guy when possible.

There is no 2wd option on that case either. I'd prefer the combination of 2H, 4H, N, 4L, which the 231 has. More compact too without the gerotor package. Maybe a foot over all when connected? Already will cause the front driveline to grow, rear to shrink without adding adding another foot to the T-case outputs. Could cause the need for two piece driveline(s) due to pinion angle. Really have to get into the engineering stage to work out the practicality of it and what would work best. Now if I had tooling to create a custom single t-case..... Who has a cnc mill in there shop I can borrow?
Old 04-10-2015, 03:16 PM   #93

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Interesting Dana build here
Old 04-10-2015, 03:34 PM   #94

Quote:

Hey MT4runner, I don't do as much on pirate anymore. Got into my motorhome, with work, and spend more time over now.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
Been to that site, yes.
Yes to rock lobster. Moab is heaven on earth to me.

99 WJ Quadra-Drive (NV-247 transfer case with Vari-Lok axles) utilizes a gerotor coupling in the Quadra-Trac II transfer case and in the Vari-Lok front and rear progressive axles to send torque to the front driveshaft and/or from side-to-side within each axle when wheel slippage occurs; includes low-range (2:72:1) single-lever transfer case mode operation.

In high range the gerotor is used to send torque to the front axle, in low it mechanically locks. To lock in high, the progressive coupler (gerotor pump/clutch pack) would have to be bypassed. The 247 was not designed to let that happen. That would be a complexity that would have a very high cost/benefit ratio. Something to consider. I'm a K.I.S.S. guy when possible.

There is no 2wd option on that case either. I'd prefer the combination of 2H, 4H, N, 4L, which the 231 has. More compact too without the gerotor package. Maybe a foot over all when connected? Already will cause the front driveline to grow, rear to shrink without adding adding another foot to the T-case outputs. Could cause the need for two piece driveline(s) due to pinion angle. Really have to get into the engineering stage to work out the practicality of it and what would work best. Now if I had tooling to create a custom single t-case..... Who has a cnc mill in there shop I can borrow?

I think I'd swap to a manual AX15 or whatever slushbox the XJ's used in front of the 231.

If TJ's can get their already short rear drivelines to work with a doubler, it should be quite doable in a WJ/ZJ!

I knew your username looked familiar, John. Curtis outed himself, too. :laughing:
Old 04-10-2015, 11:02 PM   #96

Yep I'm one of the Sickos too.
Short list:
93 Isuzu Rodeo with 3.2l very Stock v6 motor believe it or not. But the rest of the truck has been Frankensteined. 8 point internal cage ect...
95 Tacoma the 5 speed behind Isuzu motor, Marlin dual the cases. 20 forward 4 reverses in two wheel or four wheel drive. High Angle matching long slide rock crawler driveshafts. (interchangeable BTY)

Isuzu Dana 44 rear differential geared 4: 88's with ARB and full floater axles. ( I machined to convert the axle for the FF.) Manual hubs on rear so I can dial out running gear to flat tow being MH. Or drive it to California on one rear axle should axle seal rupture. BTDT.

Up front is 84 Toyota front straight axle with high steer and ARB, geared 4:88 as well. (Currently needing dental work.) Super Longfield axles and Marfield Birf's. Manual Hubs up front too. Revalved Zu steering box.

Darlington front bumper, Ramsey 8k front winch, rear winch 5k receiver hitch setup.

I built most of it in my machine shop other than Marlins transmissions.

My rear bumper is a Ridiculous "Equipment Custom" creation with storage inside bumper for tow straps and chains.

The only thing I wish I had, but don't, is beadlocks.
Just updated my lighting exterior and interior to LED's.
Light bars front rear and sides.

I have an addiction. Too many toys, not enough money. But I'm retired so I get to play all day in the shop now!!!

And yes that's the short list. I have 5 Troopers plus the motorcycles and the big MH too! None are stock either!

Moab is my favorite playground too.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:56 AM   #97

A little resume from my past.
Not my first build but thought I'd start here for some reason.

Once put a FI Corvette 327 in my 68 Chevy van back in the 70's. 2 speed Powerglide behind it to keep the front wheels on the ground. Fun to blow the doors off of the kids who thought they had fast cars. Built it to drag my race car trailer with.

Kid I sold it to, blew up the motor trying to kill the Powerglide. His brother was PO'ED when he told me the news. My response was "Didn't you tell him you can't kill a Powerglide?" He said, I tried to tell him!!!! That van was all tricked out inside, but a total SLEEPER on the outside. .I have always liked sleepers.
That was my first Motorhome!

Once a buddy and I put a Honda Accord 1800cc motor and auto tyranny in the back seat of a 74 Civic. We left the 1300cc 5 speed in the front and synchronized the throttles. Talk about a Corvette killer! But only up to 115 mph. After that we ran out of gears. Another sleeper!
Man that was a neck snapper. Whole car didn't weigh 1500 lbs. Shift the rear engine into drive and row through the front gears and you'd better be on your game because it accelerated like a banshee.
All four tires just boiling smoke.

Then there was the Corvette powered Healy...
The BB 68 Chevy Pickup.
The slammed 72 Chevy pickup convertable with 400 hp SB and Muncie 4 speed. Tilt front end and tilt bed. NO sleeper on that one. It got stolen and I haven't seen it since.

My daily driver was a 72 BB Malibu SS back in the 70's. First wife killed it driving it with the oil light on for 30 miles.

Built a Porsha powered 66 VW in the 80' s. Kid I sold it to ground looped it into a bridge abutment.
What a fun car that one was to drive. Cornered like it was on rails. At least until the 16 year that bought it got ahold of it.

And those were just some of the street cars.
Built a butt load of race cars....

When I get home I'll post up some pictures of the some of the builds.
Threw a LOT of Money at cars back then...
You Guys know the feeling I'm sure!

Kids are up, gotta go!
Old 04-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #98

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpopeye View Post
When I was a 20 something kid ,I had a Coronet that I put 340 heads on the 318 that was in it movin' little machine , put about 100k on it , did a rebuild , got another 20k out of it before the Coronet rusted away , set the motor in the backyard with the carb off a few more years .
Grabbed it during winter w/ the block full of water and ice , put it in the shed w/ a torpedo htr to thaw it out , squirted a mixture of every kind of oil I had in the shop in the plug holes , put a half inch breaker bar on the crank pulley , jumped on it till it started to turn , pulled the 4 barrel intake and replaced it w/a 2 barrel , dropped it in my Sweptline PU , dragged it down the road in 2nd gear w/the jeep to pump up the lifters ,fired right up (with a giant cloud of smoke!) still couldn't touch the pedal without leaving a couple thousand miles of rubber on the pavement got another 40k on that truck...
Took it out of that PU instead of fixing the rust and got another Sweptline , put it in that , got another 100k out of it traveling back and forth across the country , junked that truck and gave the motor to a buddy that had another Dodge. Just couldn't kill that mill !
If there wasn't so much salt on the roads here in Maine I'd probably still have the Coronet . But I miss the old Sweptlines more .
Old school MOPAR's were tough. Run the hell out of them and they outlast the vehicle you put them in. Nothing like the junk they build now.

My first car was a 68 Road Runner. 440 Magnum. I bought it when I was 14 and spent the next 2 years rebuilding it. Was a beauty and darn fast in a straight line. There was a guy with a Camaro that was pretty fast too. We went back and forth for the title of fastest care at school. Life was so simple back when my biggest concern was beating Steve in a drag race on Friday night. Wish I had never let it go. Someone offered me what I thought was stupid money for it and I took it.

Bought a Camaro RS/SS convertible and started all over again. Drove that for about 2 years before it was stolen, never to be seen again. After that I never had a car without an engine disabler. It was so heartbreaking. The insurance company paid me pennies on the dollar compared to what I had into it. That taught me to document my investment in my toys and send updates to my insurance agent.

Tags
cant leave it alone, clac, projects, tinkerers