Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-06-2015, 10:51 PM   #15
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Leveling jacks are one more thing to break. ;-) I'm happy not having them.

A couple of thoughts:

It depends partly on whether you want a tow vehicle or a vehicle to tow. If you buy either an A or C you will probably want a towed. If you want to keep a tow vehicle around anyway buy another used trailer.

If you decide to buy a MH C's start lower in price than A's. C's are also positioned as family vehicles so the sleep more folks. Front bunks also make good attics. ;-) You may be able to get a better C in your price class.

Some people cannot stand riding in the front of the bus because of the big window. Other folks love it. Keeping Momma happy may settle the issue.
C's also are arguably safer because of the steel cab and extra doors.

A's will often get you bigger tanks and a better layout because the driving area becomes part of the living space. They may also have a bigger towed capacity.
Have had leveling jacks on the last three Type A MH's and not once have I had to repair them, and going on 13 years with the present rig, still non issues.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 11:45 PM   #16
Ford Super Duty Owner
In my case we found a class A that we could afford and could park in our driveway - I didn't want to pay storage. But my 62 year old wife, more often than not the driver, couldn't get in from the driver's door (two artificial knees) and couldn't get into the driver's seat from inside. I'm 80 in a month and a half. A diesel pusher would have worked, but they're not affordable to us. We ended up getting a 24 foot 1987 class C for 5 grand. Another 5 grand for new tires (old ones looked very good, lots of tread, but I learned that 11 years was too old), fixed front suspension, clean fuel tank, and replace fuel sender. My wife and I are happy with what we have, and we can take the daughter's family of 4 for a long weekend. And have an excuse to not take them for longer. The kids ok, kids and their parents NO!

Sailsam and Susie
1987 24' Travelmaster
sailsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:45 PM   #17
The biggest difference I've noticed between a Class A and a Class C MH other than the obvious physical differences is, most Class A's are designed for two, where as most Class C's are designed to accommodate 6 or more people. Some of the newer Class C's on the MB chassis are designed for only two. Carrying and storage capacity is usually greater in a Class A also.
The biggest difference IMO is in the chassis. Most Class A's are on larger chassis such as the Ford F-53, and most Class C's are on 1 ton or 1-1/4 ton van chassis, E-350 or E-450 type.

Mike H
Mike & Debbie
2003 36' Monaco Cayman
2007 Saturn Vue "pusher"
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:43 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
Well I stopped to look a couple class A sitting there but they were on consignment and junk.They had been sitting a very long time. Covered with black stuff, headliners coming down, soft floors ect. He did however just get in a real nice 31 foot class C. Small dealership. They only handle used rvs and campers.If money were no object I would go for a decent sized new diesel pusher. For now i want to get the most bang for my buck. Gas milage is not a factor. I use to have an explorer then got a suburban. I would have to pull a little trailer to put our luggage in. Got anywayere from 8 to 14 mpg depending on the wind. I got rid of the suburban and trailer. Got this crew cab long box diesel pickup. Now I get 15 to 20mpg.
I have 6 kids ages from 18 to 1 1/2. They don't all travel with us at the same time. I live in northeastern Nebraska. We travel to southeastern Kentucky at least once a year sometimes 3 times. I don't trust my old 5er to make the trip.
A C-class will usually provide more sleeping accommodations for a family. One thing you should consider is the weight limits of the RV you choose, especially if you plan to pull a TOAD. With a family of 8 plus gear, you will need to find a vehicle with sufficient carrying capacity. Lots of things to consider... good luck.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:22 AM   #19
For a toad we have a 09 traverse. Owners manual said it can be towed flat 4 on the ground. Its front wheel drive. If we are in a campground like we will be most times the kids will sleep in tents. They like it. Its their own personal space like having their own room. Except for the baby of course.

guardrail53 thanks for the tip on rvt.com. Ive been searching ebay, PPL, Rvtrader, and camping world websites.
ITs too cold to go walking around lots right now, its -1 with -25 wind chill. There is a indoor Boat sports and travel show coming up in Omaha next month. We are planning on going.
93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:13 AM   #20
northermark, everything mechanical is "something else to break". That argument doesn't hold water.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:42 AM   #21
Someone said to buy the best quality I could afford over the newest one i can afford. Thats good advice. I find myself drawn to the fleetwood line. The bounder in particular. How are the fleetwoods in the quality scale High medium or low. Fleetwood has been around a very long time I would think they would be pretty good.
93 Jayco RK 325
Old 01-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #22
The question is how solid does it feel to you. Some folks assume quality by the level of trim and some by the number of gadgets. As you say, Fleetwood has been around and continues to be so they did something right. ;-) Floorplan counts more than anything else! If you are not comfortable pass it by.
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:31 AM   #23
Tiffin Owners Club
A class A will give you more floor space than a class C of the same length.
In my class C I gave up about 8-10 feet of it's length for the hood and cockpit.
In my class A I can turn the chairs around for extra seating and only give up about 2 feet from the back of the chair to the windshield.
I love having an awning that goes out with the touch of a button but when it's out it's just out. With the manual awning I could raise and lower it depending on where the sun was.
The levelers are great as long as they work (no problems yet).
It is hard to find a C with opposing slides. There are some but not too many.
And last I have taken them both through high winds. I found the wind has a bigger effect on the taller A than on the C.
Aubrey, Debbie a thoroughbread miniature jackass named Crockett. and Charlie Goodnight the Border Collie.
debrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:13 PM   #24
Monaco Owners Club
We started with a Class C because my wife was scared of a larger RV. She actually wanted a small (~24') Class C but I ended up buying a 31'. She ended up driving more then I did.

After ~11 years we bought a Class A ~40' long. IMHO it drives easier then the Class C. The Class A far out performed the Class C as how it handles in high winds but this has to do more with Chassis and weight. Ours is a heavy coach.

You mention that you have kids, our Class A only has seat belts for 4 people. Our Class C had capacity for 6 to travel in it.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:23 AM   #25
As far as seat belts I think it is different from coach to coach. I looked at a 05 Georgie Boy that had seat belts in the dining booth, the couch and the recliner.

We went to a big travel show last weekend There were several big RV dealers there. Camping world was a sponsor. Wife didn't like any of the class c except one. They were all too small anyway. I know they make bigger ones but we were able to decide they are not what we want. We must have crawled in and out of 50 campers. Found a few 5 ers we liked so now I am more confused than ever. We are decideing betweeen 5er and class A Thats like comparing apples and oranges. At least we know what we don't want.
93 Jayco RK 325
Old 01-21-2015, 06:19 AM   #26
Learning what you don't want is a major part of the decision making. ;-)

The problem with a fiver is that one is usually stuck with the large tow vehicle as the touring vehicle because most states don't allow a towed behind the trailer. Then one also loses the roof of the truck if one wants to haul any kind of cartop boat or similar.

nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote

class a, class c

« Old Movie | Canoe? »