Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2015, 06:24 AM   #1

Class A vs. Class C

Ive been stopping at dealers here and there and talking with sales abut different campers and what they cost. I was told by one that I would be better off in a class C than a A because they have less problems. I would need the big class C with the bed in back. Price range is between 20 to 30K closer to 20 the better no less than 30ft. What are the pros and cons comparing class C to class A?
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 06:51 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
This is a hard one to call for you. I see you now have a P/UP and 5th wheel, so a class C is more like driving your P/up. with 5th wheel except you have no bend in the middle! You want the bed in the back, so the C will be confining compared to what you are used to space wise! So the class A, IMHO will give you the room that you are used to! There are a lot of used class A's, in your price range, and you will have to determine what floor plan you like the best! Then you will have to decide the manufacture you like the best, Gas or diesel? A lot of choices! But in the end, you and your DW will have to make that decision on your own! Go to a big RV dealer, and look at both, see what you both like? Me, I'm a retired semi driver, so the class A was just fine for me! I found the class C's just to small for my taste, plus you can see so much better out of the class A's! Enjoy your search! Take them both out and drive them, see what you think!
Rail!
guardrail53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:59 AM   #3

My other truck is a Kenworth LOL so class A should not be a problem. Yea we are just going to have to spend some time at a large dealership. I was just thrown off guard when the last dealer said the C has less problems.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:16 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
My other truck is a Kenworth LOL so class A should not be a problem. Yea we are just going to have to spend some time at a large dealership. I was just thrown off guard when the last dealer said the C has less problems.
I could be wrong...been known to do that often and frequently but...I think the salesperson was wrong. Certainly there is always the debate about diesel vs gas and maintenance costs but on house systems should be fairly similar. That would be especially true with a Class C that had slides.

Maybe the salesperson didn't have an Class As you showed any interest in?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:35 AM   #5

Well I stopped to look a couple class A sitting there but they were on consignment and junk.They had been sitting a very long time. Covered with black stuff, headliners coming down, soft floors ect. He did however just get in a real nice 31 foot class C. Small dealership. They only handle used rvs and campers.If money were no object I would go for a decent sized new diesel pusher. For now i want to get the most bang for my buck. Gas milage is not a factor. I use to have an explorer then got a suburban. I would have to pull a little trailer to put our luggage in. Got anywayere from 8 to 14 mpg depending on the wind. I got rid of the suburban and trailer. Got this crew cab long box diesel pickup. Now I get 15 to 20mpg.
I have 6 kids ages from 18 to 1 1/2. They don't all travel with us at the same time. I live in northeastern Nebraska. We travel to southeastern Kentucky at least once a year sometimes 3 times. I don't trust my old 5er to make the trip.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I've owned a Class C but now own a Class A. Both have problems however the Class is more complex. In both cases I can usually solve whatever problem crops up.

My preference was to go to the Class A for more room and amenities. I lucked out and got a very nice coach that was a repo, got a heck of a deal that I couldn't pass up.

I would recommend you spend some time looking at both as there are advantages and disadvantages to both. With a Class C you should have the bunk above the driver that ~3 of your children could sleep in, the dinette usually big enough for 2 more and possibly a sleeper couch. With the Class A probably dinette and sleeper couch. You could look for a rig with bunk beds, these are in both Class A & C's.

I think you should go to larger RV sales so you can look at more selections. Sounds like Floor Plan will be a deciding factor. Consider what will work for you, sleeping capacity, storage capacity, towing capacity.

Any rig you buy has the potential for problems, if the previous owner was negligent in taking care of it, lack of maintenance, then it could have more problems. A thorough inspection would be wise by a professional.

Good Luck
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
A to C to A

We had a 34' A for years and loved it. The DW wanted a C that she could drive. After 2 years she wanted to go back to an A. So we now have a new A. The new A fits us perfectly, FOR NOW.
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:53 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do not buy an RV where most units are junky. For an inexperienced buyer, go to a large dealership where he has very little or no junk units. If you are anywhere near or east of Atlanta, I highly recommend Grayson Motor Co. in Grayson, Ga.
Smaller dealer, but only good stuff.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #9

For $30k you can get an early too mid 90's Beaver, Country Coach, or Monaco. Much better than damn near any Class C rig! It's what I'm doing... 😜👍
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:03 PM   #10

We just purchased a used 29' class c. Coachmen Leprechaun. We were very open minded while looking with a rear bedroom as about the only must have.
In the end we found the 2005 Leprechaun with 2 slides. 29000 miles and very clean and well maintained. Wasn't going to pass it up at $25000.
Most class a's we looked at in that price range were older and showed considerable more wear. So for us it wasn't as much as a class a vs. class c as it was getting the most bang for our buck which I feel we did.
Had we found a class a at a similar deal we would have gone that route.

I would say keep a open mind and don't restrict yourself too much. Take your time and look at as many class a and class c's as you can find. You will know when you find whats right for you!
Best of luck in your search
Old 01-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #11

Keep in mind a class C in that year probably will not have leveling jacks, meaning you'll still have to carry around your leveling boards, pads, etc
A class A comes with leveling jacks installed, just push a button and it levels very easily, although with limitations for amount off level.
Sure there are more things to fail and require repairs/replacement in a Class A, you have both your power unit and house/living quarters in one unit. Same may be said for a Class C - leveling jacks.
Not to sway you one way or another, but some mfgrs websites, for instance Winnebago, has schematics for virtually every part of the MH,and you may download free for personal use.
IMO buy the highest quality MH you can afford, instead of the newest you can buy for the same money.
I agree with unclebilly;
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
For $30k you can get an early too mid 90's Beaver, Country Coach, or Monaco. Much better than damn near any Class C rig! It's what I'm doing... ����
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:35 PM   #12

Leveling jacks are one more thing to break. ;-) I'm happy not having them.

A couple of thoughts:

It depends partly on whether you want a tow vehicle or a vehicle to tow. If you buy either an A or C you will probably want a towed. If you want to keep a tow vehicle around anyway buy another used trailer.

If you decide to buy a MH C's start lower in price than A's. C's are also positioned as family vehicles so the sleep more folks. Front bunks also make good attics. ;-) You may be able to get a better C in your price class.

Some people cannot stand riding in the front of the bus because of the big window. Other folks love it. Keeping Momma happy may settle the issue.
C's also are arguably safer because of the steel cab and extra doors.

A's will often get you bigger tanks and a better layout because the driving area becomes part of the living space. They may also have a bigger towed capacity.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:40 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
For $30k you can get an early too mid 90's Beaver, Country Coach, or Monaco. Much better than damn near any Class C rig! It's what I'm doing... ����
X-2, on Rvt.com there is one of the nicest CC Intrigue MH's i have seen in a long time, and if i were in the market to buy? It is in Peoria, Az. It is 1997, looks new, 82,000 mi., Gillig chassis, great shape! 28,000dls, I think? By owner.
Rail!
guardrail53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:49 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Really no difference in the repairs needed between the different types! It's more the uck of the draw as to what fails.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, class c

« Old Movie | Canoe? »