Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2011, 12:19 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by She and I View Post
Hi All,
I use a paper towel soaked in cooking oil, rub on a hot grill 10 to 12 times until the grate turns dark almost black ..you have just coated your grill as if it was teflon coated won't stick and clean up is easy!
Richard
That's a great idea! Kind of like seasoning a cast iron skillet, before the manufacturers started offering them pre seasoned. I think I'll do just that, though I'll do it in the oven for more even heat. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by She and I View Post
Hi All,
I use a paper towel soaked in cooking oil, rub on a hot grill 10 to 12 times until the grate turns dark almost black ..you have just coated your grill as if it was teflon coated won't stick and clean up is easy!
Richard
Well I did it Richard. I must say, the grates sure aren't as pretty as they were, when they were spotless clean, but it looks like a good old well seasoned cast iron skillet now. A very dark brown, almost black. I coated it with oil and baked it in the oven, progressively increasing the temperature. The final temp was 500 for about 30 minutes, then I shut off the oven and let them cool. I scrubbed them lightly in warm water with no soap after they cooled. To get rid of the excess oil. I usually super heat the grates if I'm doing steaks, so the steaks sear immediately when they hit the grill. I hope super heating them works out. I'll put them to the test soon and report back.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
Well I did it Richard. I must say, the grates sure aren't as pretty as they were, when they were spotless clean, but it looks like a good old well seasoned cast iron skillet now. A very dark brown, almost black. I coated it with oil and baked it in the oven, progressively increasing the temperature. The final temp was 500 for about 30 minutes, then I shut off the oven and let them cool. I scrubbed them lightly in warm water with no soap after they cooled. To get rid of the excess oil. I usually super heat the grates if I'm doing steaks, so the steaks sear immediately when they hit the grill. I hope super heating them works out. I'll put them to the test soon and report back.
I like mine medium.
Richard
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Near as I can tell the Coleman grates are ceramic coated or coated in some kind of substance.

Oh, the reflector pan (the pan below the burners) that can get kind of messed up too.

I have an angle grinder.. Comes in handy for all sorts of thigns, I screw the cup brush on it (Cup shaped wire brush) and those reflector pans sparkle in short order. I don't care how well it's burned on.. That sucker cuts through the crud. Change "Wheels" to a cut off wheel and it slices shakel bolts on broken springs kind of nice too
Old 07-04-2011, 11:48 PM   #19

As long as it's not ceramic coated. Can't see it but I'm told the weber is

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:58 AM   #20

We have the Baby 'Q' and the grate doesn't seem to have any coating. I did season the the grate before first use. After I've finished taking the food off the grill, I turn it on high until I've finished eating (usually that doesn't take too long). I scrub the dickens out of the grate with a grill brush and turn it off. After it cools, I take the grate off and use the grill brush to clean down the insides. I then wipe it down with a couple paper towels and throw away the aluminum foil I lined the grease tray with along with the paper towels...done.

That works well during the season and at the end, I'll spray the insides of the grill with that non-fuming Easy Off Over Cleaner. Hose it down, dry and it's ready to go for the next time. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use the power brush only on the reflector pans.. I use hand tools on the grates, which do appear to be ceramic

A though comes to me... Regarding Easy Off, this uses HEAT to fully activate but it's not quiet up to the kind of heat a grill can generate.

How about a Cookie sheet shileld, And some screws (4 of them) and nuts Or better yet. THE OTHER BURNER

Remove the half grill on one side, Spray the remaining half grill with Easy Off, Turn on the burner without the grill and close lid, If you have a high temp thermomemter (one that will read to at least 500 degrees) stick the probe under the lid.. Let it get up to 400+ for a bit, turn off, open lid, let cool, clean that half with soap and water.

Do the other half. Same way.

I do not know if it will work. "Invented" the method AFTER I started this reply..
Old 07-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
I put water in the drip pan(there is a high water mark). This catches the drippings and no cleanup issues in the pan. I don't have sticking issues in mine, but I don't use any sugar based sauces.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After I grill, I leave the BBQ on high for about 15 minutes and that seems to burn off all the left over crud. I also have lined the bottom with foil so cleanup is easy.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
After I grill, I leave the BBQ on high for about 15 minutes and that seems to burn off all the left over crud. I also have lined the bottom with foil so cleanup is easy.
I do this too. DW worries about left-on food and grease. My reply? "If anything can live through that heat it deserves to live." Kinda like washing a cast-iron pot/skillet, useless.
OFf-topic; I remember when I was a kid, my Dad once washed Mom's cast iron skillets, scrubbed them shiny with a Brillo pad. When he proudly showed them to Mom I though she was gonna kill him with one.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow, you actually clean your grills between uses; novel concept!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post

I was thinking I was the only one who thought like this.

jack
Old 07-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
It's because I have a wife !!Nuff said
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #28

I use Rain-X car wash soap on ours; I buy it in gallon bottles to clean our TT and have found that it cleans up the grill remarkably well and with no heavy scrubbing required; in fact, I use a regular car wash brush. It averages about $12.00 per gallon, but will last you for a while.