Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Cleaning your grill

We have a dedicated coleman roadmate grill for our motorhome, as I'm sure many others do as well. On our last camping trip I cooked some marinated chicken breast and grilled pineapple slices with a brown sugar glaze. Holy cow what a mess it made of the grill. I always spray the grill surfaces with vegetable oil to make clean up easier, but the sugars from the glaze and marinate melted to the hot surfaces. I cleaned the grill itself with a pot of boiled water and a soup laddle. For the grates, I soaked them in the sink with a pot of boiled water then scraped them off a bit. The final cleaning was done by putting the grates in the oven in the house and putting the oven on a self clean cycle. Everything on the grates turned to ash and they cleaned up litteraly like new.

Just thought I'd share that in case anyone has never tried it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #2

Soak such messes in a strong solution of hot water and dishwasher detergent for a few hours or overnight. It does a very good job but cleaning in a self cleaning oven can not be beat.

ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does your Coleman have the aluminum grills?

Very clever---never thought of it---my problem however is I am gone for about four months at a time and my oven with the cleaning cycle is two thousand miles away.

Next time you make that chicken-------lets us know we will be right over---sounds wonderful. I'll help clean up---can I use your oven?

Thanks for sharing another great idea.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I clean my grates by putting them between a dozen or so newspaper pages for two days, keep them wet and most of the gunk will come off.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The best way to eliminate the problem is to use non-stick Reynolds Foil on the grill, works great.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #6

We do the same with the Weber Baby-Q after Teriyaki glaze that just won't come off any other way. Rinse the ash and ready to go.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Use of Grill-Mate foil from Reynolds is a good way to prevent/reduce mess.

The grills on the Road Mates are ceramic coated if I'm not mistaken, You can use a wire brush, Heat the grill for at least 10 minutes on high first to burn as much to dust as you can.

I have a "Grill-Daddy" or some such, it is a wire brush the dispenses water as it brushes. Kind of hokey, don't really recommend it but it does a good job of getting rid of most of the stuff on the grill.

That and good old fashion elbow grease and a good scraper for the real bad stuff.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Does your Coleman have the aluminum grills?

Very clever---never thought of it---my problem however is I am gone for about four months at a time and my oven with the cleaning cycle is two thousand miles away.

Next time you make that chicken-------lets us know we will be right over---sounds wonderful. I'll help clean up---can I use your oven?

Thanks for sharing another great idea.
Yes it has the aluminum grates. Good ideas about the foil. I think I'll do that the next time I'm grilling something that's been marinated or is being basted. Come on over for the chicken! We'll be at Meeks Bay resort on Lake Tahoe in July.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #9

I messed up our grill cooking steaks this week big time with a sauce I put on them. The DW wouldn't let me put the grill away like that until we got home. She went to the CG store and bought oven cleaner. I sprayed the grill inside and the grate with it, let it sit about an hour and it all rinsed off with little scrubbing. Now we will carry a can of oven cleaner.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Well now......

I have a Weber BabyQ (the small one) and I oil or spray the cast iron grill prior to grilling and as soon as whatever I cook on it is done I wire brush the grill when it is still hot. In the spring I dismantel the unit and take it to the car wash that has the wand and used to (a loooong time ago) cost $.25.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #11

Just a note: Sugar will turn black when used on a grill. Honey doesn't!! Substitute if possible.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #12

I spray the whole unit with Easy Off, let it sit, hose it off, turn it on, dry it up.....
Old 07-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisZ View Post
The best way to eliminate the problem is to use non-stick Reynolds Foil on the grill, works great.

Dennis
x2. The only problem I have with doing it this way is that if there is any accumulated juices, etc., from the last time it takes a while for them to burn off before I can start grilling again. But the aluminum foil works great. I also line the inside of my grill with aluminium foil to make cleaning it easier.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi All,
I use a paper towel soaked in cooking oil, rub on a hot grill 10 to 12 times until the grate turns dark almost black ..you have just coated your grill as if it was teflon coated won't stick and clean up is easy!
Richard

She and I is offline   Reply With Quote