Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
ground guide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
I do relate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Backing into our site was tight and I was paying too much attention to a rather large rock on the left and missed seeing a sturdy looking tree on the right...literally and barely. I jumped out to see what I needed to do to avoid any damage. The tree was less than two inches from the side of the MH and I couldn't get my finger between the tree and the backside of the outside mirror. Pucker factor was a solid 10!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
We arrived after dark, the office showed us our site and left. My wife was ground guide and does a good job. We got our 5er parked, and while I was unhooking I happened to look up, what did I see but a large tree limb about 12-14"dia. overhanging the site, and about 4" from the corner of the roof.
More great info posts.

My DW is my (new) ground guide. We have walkie-talkies. She keeps her radio keyed up and gives me directions on which way she wants the 5er to go. I still look like a 'bobble head' checking mirrors, but, I put my trust in my 'ground guide'. She does a great job.

Driving Commercial vehicles since 94, It has been a habit to get out of the cab and survey the area before backing. Day and night.

The Company I work for, for the past 10 years, has a policy of having a 'ground guide'. I think that is priceless to have a second set of eyes to help with maneuvering a trailer, no matter how big or small the trailer is.

Scenic Route, I agree how nerve-racking that could be to have more than one obstacle to navigate through, especially without a 'ground guide'.

Ray, IN, night-time backing is very 'trying' on patience. It is for me, at least. Glad you got in there without any damages.
__03 15' Klamath SS w/30hp
r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo5er View Post
The "rv park" had 2 permanent trailers and us. "Dueling Banjos"

Quote:
Moral to the story....Pull the truck completely away from the the trailer before using auto-level. Yep, set her down right on the bed rails of the new pick-up. DW starts yelling and I hit the off button, then got it raised up off the bed rails. No damage to the rails of the truck or the 5er.
Quote:
Got inside the trailer, locked the deadbolt, cocked the 45, and listened for banjo music.
Quote:
Next morning pulled out of the mud with another rv lesson well learned.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Lots of info to reference from your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I'm not sure ours was really a close call, but it sure got our attention and made us move pretty quickly to break camp.

A couple of years ago, we were on an 8300 mile trip through 22 states and 5 provinces. Seeing the Bay of Fundy in Nova Scotia was on my bucket list so we planned to spend a week there at a CG my DW had found located on a small "island" in the bay.

The "island" turned out to be not much more than a spit of gravel out in the bay but it was a great location to watch the 60' tides rush in and out. The front of our coach was right at the water line at high tide. My avatar picture shows our coach set up in this site.

Well, one night a predicted storm moved in and pounded us pretty good all night long and was forecast to continue for at least another 24 hrs. When the sun came up, we were horrified to see that, not only was it approaching high tide, but the storm had whipped the bay into a frenzy and waves were crashing right in front of our coach.

We were afraid that if either the tide came in anymore or the winds got any worse, we would be in danger of that little "island" washing away from under us. We broke camp in record time and beat it out of there... although this CG was VERY remote and we had a white knuckle day of driving through the storm just to get back to civilization.

Rick
Man. Scary. Sounds like a beautiful place minus the storm and high tide. Someone will definitely benefit from your post.
Thanks for your input, Rick.
__03 15' Klamath SS w/30hp
r___r is offline   Reply With Quote