Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
CLR and the Coffee Maker

Our Black and Decker Spacemaker coffee maker started to leak and would not make a full pot of coffee without pushing the on button several times during the process. After trying the vinegar method of cleaning it out with no luck, I decided to run CLR cleaner through the maker to see if it would help solve the problems. I mixed the solution as they recommended and ran it through several times.

Good news is the maker runs a full pot of water without stopping, and its fast now. I don't ever remember it doing that.

Bad news is the coffee taste awful. I have rinsed the maker with enough water to fill the Ohio River, I have used vinegar, baking soda, and I have used so much electricity trying the clean the taste I could have bought a new one for that cost, except they don't make this model Spacemaker any longer.

The company that makes the CLR said "your coffee maker should do fine using CLR". Then they said "what material is the carafe made from?" When I explained it's the maker and not the carafe she said "you should have followed the manufacture method of cleaning." I told her I had, and CLR was my last hope. Then I told her how about lemon juice and she said "can't hurt anymore than it is now".

Any ideas out there? I don't think the company is going to be any useful help.

Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use CLR all the time full strength no problem...

Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
Wow, CLR ? Dang you got more guts than I do, Hell i can't stand the taste after running the vinegar through it. Takes about 3 pots of water to clear out the vinegar after using it.
Good Luck, you could always replace the unit as well!
Doug & Darlene Morgan RVM96 & Abby Gabby(pooch)
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination"Hickory,NC
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Plain old vinegar works well and will not hare you.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Run several "pots" of viniger, then run one of baking soda and water, then run one of water and water, then try another pot of coffee.

Several is like 3-10.

You might want to slightly "overfill" and use the quick change method when you run the first few pots of vinegar

You can also alternate viniger and baking soda, One is acid, the other alkaline between the two not much is not history There really only about 3 types of cleaners, that's two, Organic Solivent (Alcohol) is #3..

I can and have, cleaned glass so clean water would NOT bead up on it.. Acid and Baking soda were two of the cleaners used (Alcohol is the 3rd)
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
Run the vinegar through until it starts to come out then shut off for 30 minutes, flush 3-4 times with water. They also have coffee pot cleaner that leave no taste, you can buy it on Amazon.
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:35 AM   #7
Thanks everyone. I wrote to the CLR company again on a Friday asking if vinegar and followed by baking soda would help. 3 days later I got a message that said "DO NOT USE BAKING SODA" in all caps and then went on to say "baking soda will react with the heating element and can set up like concrete." Then to answer my question about suggestions to rid the maker of the taste they said they didn't have any more suggestions other than not to use CLR if the taste was objectionable!
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:09 AM   #8
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Much to my amazement I find CLR actually recommends using it for coffee makers under certain restrictions, of course. Assuming you met the conditions correctly then something else may be contributing to your problem.

I remember well thinking the residue from the coffee left in my nasty old cup probably enhanced the flavor? Not a scientific conjecture to be sure but perhaps it has some truth. Sometimes we get used to how things taste and then play with the recipe a bit and it changes. You may well have forgotten how a cup of coffee taste from a very sterile pot?

Try changing brands of coffee or your recipe, more coffee etc, and see if it makes a difference.

In the future, which I hope contains your favorite coffee maker, perhaps cleaning more often is the key to preservation of the maker and its taste.

Is it time to shop? Plenty of space saving coffee makers on the market and lots of new methods for making coffee. Something to think about.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:30 PM   #9
Try putting distilled water in it and let it set for a couple of days. It would be better if it was Deionized water but is hard to find.

1990 28' Georgie Boy, 454, 4bbl, Thorley Headers, Recurved Distributor, 8.75 mpg. RVM 76
BA-in-Mich is offline   Reply With Quote