Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #15

I am glad no one was hurt. We are just starting to find our Class A MH and this brought up a question. Do any of the MH's include egress windows in the bedrooms? How would you get from a back bedroom, past a burning refrigerator to the door?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
I am glad no one was hurt. We are just starting to find our Class A MH and this brought up a question. Do any of the MH's include egress windows in the bedrooms? How would you get from a back bedroom, past a burning refrigerator to the door?
Every MH that I have had has had an egress window. Our back BR window is hinged at the top with quick-release latches.

I'm really glad they made it out okay.

RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They both exited out the front door. Fortunately his wife was up and sitting in the living area when it happened and awakened him right away.

I believe every mfr. has an egress in the bedroom area. I know I just took a look at ours, then looked at myself, then looked at the window again and although I don't consider myself that big I hope I never have to try and get out that window.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arby View Post
I am curious if this Nevercold was running on electric or propane at the time of the fire? I may be wrong but it seems to me there might be less of a chance of a fire on ac due to the absense of an actual flame to ignite. Any studies on this?
I am making a guess here: I would say that is was running on electric, why do I think that, When plugged into shore power paying a nightly,weekly,monthly fee I would think everyone would run on electric side. Articles state more fires when running on electric due to my thought. If it was running on propane and a leak happened the end result would be the same.
My norcold runs all summer from april till november on #2 setting (1-5) I never defrosted it once this summer and had hard ice cream. I am lucky mine is not on the recall list.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
I wonder if the recall had been performed.

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #20

Mine is a small 821 from 2011. The 821 was not one that burns. The recalls for the 821 were for 1999 and 2000. It works wonderfully!
I dont think I should be concerned. Right?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
It doesn't matter whether the fridge had all of the recalls or not. There have been documented Norcold fires where the owner had all of the recalls performed. The recalls are a poorly designed and engineered Band-aid by Norcold to satisfy the RVIA and other automotive organizations that oversee automotive safety standards.

The only way to eliminate a fire possibility with the current POS Norcold cooling units is to install an Amish cooling unit or remove the entire unit and install a residential fridge.

I chose the latter for many reasons and benefits.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
"There have been documented Norcold fires where the owner had all of the recalls performed".

Dr4Film - I'm sorry, I didn't know that was the case. Do you know where I could find this documentation? I would like to show it to my extended warranty folks. TIA.

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzocfi View Post
"There have been documented Norcold fires where the owner had all of the recalls performed".

Dr4Film - I'm sorry, I didn't know that was the case. Do you know where I could find this documentation? I would like to show it to my extended warranty folks. TIA.
I appreciate that!

As I said:
Mine is a small 821 from 2011. The 821 was not one that burns. The recalls for the 821 were for 1999 and 2000. It works wonderfully!

Mine has never had a documented issue or recall.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Look on the refrigerator thread, someone on there saw on the news it was the furnace. RV fire, and everyone jumps to the conclusion it was the refer. I would be willing to bet that more RV fires each year are caused by cheap space heaters, furnaces, or stoves. Of course I have nothing to back this up, but it makes a good justification to get a residential. I wonder if inverters cause more fires than refrigerators.

The side of my RV bulges slightly and if you push on it hard enough, you can make it move. The section is directly covering my refrigerator area, and I would be willing to bet the excessive heat from the old cooling unit caused it to do that. Yes, the defective cooling unit can and does cause fires. How many?, I haven't seen the figures.
I feel with the replacement of a Amish unit, you would be very safe. I think, most dry campers would agree.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #25

Quote:

I agree!! I have had BOTH recalls done, and I would love to see specifics on fires where both recalls had been performed. This info would be helpful to a whole bunch of us. Thanks!

Re alternative refer, would sure appreciate some additional info from those that have replaced their Norcolds. Don't need excessive detail...."Reader's Digest" format would be great. Curious about refers available, approximate unit cost and whether you did the install or had it done. Any info would be greatly appreciated....Thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #26

Man that is scary
Old 12-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

I will have to do some searching to find out at what web site it was where I had read that the coach owner had all recalls done but the Norcold had caught fire anyway. I will post that info or cut & paste it once I have found it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeapBigEngin View Post
I agree!! I have had BOTH recalls done, and I would love to see specifics on fires where both recalls had been performed. This info would be helpful to a whole bunch of us. Thanks!

Re alternative refer, would sure appreciate some additional info from those that have replaced their Norcolds. Don't need excessive detail...."Reader's Digest" format would be great. Curious about refers available, approximate unit cost and whether you did the install or had it done. Any info would be greatly appreciated....Thanks!
See this thread, post #3, where I have included a documentary of my installation of a Samsung RF197 residential fridge.

Norcold Replacement 08 Revolution LE

Another good resource to look for a possible candidate that would fit into your coach is

Refrigerators and Freezers | AJ Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Look on the refrigerator thread, someone on there saw on the news it was the furnace. RV fire, and everyone jumps to the conclusion it was the refer. I would be willing to bet that more RV fires each year are caused by cheap space heaters, furnaces, or stoves. Of course I have nothing to back this up, but it makes a good justification to get a residential. I wonder if inverters cause more fires than refrigerators.
Dave,

After reading so many stories written in the newspaper and viewing TV news stories where the information being reported was bogus compared to the actual events, I will never believe anything I read or see on the TV about what truly happened. Eyewitnesses from people that were actually there are far more reliable than the newspaper or TV. When I was a teenager, I had a news article written about an event that had happened to me. The details that were written were about 30% accurate and I still have the article to prove it.

BTW, you will be very happy with the Amish cooling unit you now have in your coach versus the Norcold POS cooling unit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, to answer the question asked above by Bonzocfi, HeapBigEngin and by many others who haven't previously posted to the thread listed below. Check out the thread, and read through all of the posts where there are links to the documented information about RV fridge fires.

Refrigerators

If you do enough Googling and research on the Web, you will eventually find the information you need.

I use the Internet FIRST to find out about anything I need to know. It has more information than any complete encyclopedia could ever dream about.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Has the actual cause of the fire been determined?

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote