Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #57

I have now read many posts on the Norcold and I think I'm going to give in and replace the so-callled POS. I had the re-call done, 6 months later last fall, the light came on the fridge went off. I quickly jumpered the appropriate wires back together as I could see nothing wrong... I'm thinking when the thing fails in the middle of the night what good is it to have a 2 watt LED go on behind the fridge?? How about an alarm and an extinguisher? Has anyone done anything like this, one could use the water pipe to the ice maker?

HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";1424576]

Thats interesting Steve we have been posting since 2007 with all the problems that Norcold has had with their refrigerators.
[B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/norcold-and-dometic-recalls-and-service-manuals-norcold-and-dometic-6962.html
All Norcolds since 1997 to present are on RECALL.[/URL] Both 2 door and the 4 door 1200 series.[/B]
I agree with 007, the Norcold recalls have been posted for years upon years.

All Norcold 4 door models EVER BUILT are included in the recall and there are a number of 2 door models inlcuded too.

I am sure that there are people driving/towing RV's that have these units in their RV's that have no clue as to recalls, problems, fires, etc.

It is the responsibility of each owner to stay educated and aware of problems and trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post

This last May we were camping at Maryhill SP in Wa and there were folks from about 8-10 rigs at our campfire one nite and the subject came up and one of the couples said they were driving a newer rig as their old one had burned up the last fall.The fire started at 2:00 AM and they went out the window and he was just able to get around to the front door in time to get the door open and the dogs out. She said that the coach was to the ground in less than 10 minutes. There was another couple there that said that the same thing had happened to them two years ago. Both couples had had all the recalls done and both of them had suits against Norcold and one of them was waiting on a settlement.
Neither of the couples had met before and were from different parts of the country.
And to think that there are members of iRV2.com who believe that RV fires happen because of many other causes versus refrigerators.

Those people have their heads in the sand and choose to ignore the facts.

No names needed. They know who they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Well had an extended conversation today with the party of this terrible tragedy only to find out that their refer was not on the recall list. The associate from Norcold after doing some extensive checking came back on the phone and told them that they should feel perfectly safe as they should have NO problems at all.

HMMM!
Then he told her what actually happened.
So the professional fire personnel have completed their investigation as to the actual cause for this fire and they have definitely concluded that it was the Norcold fridge versus what some people on this forum had speculated including professional NEWS people, that it was the RV heater.

So much for the authenticity of NEWS people.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 01-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #59
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
To repeat all Norcolds have been on recall since 1987 2 doors, original recall, long before the 1200's showed up.
I have a 1200 with first recall has always run good and if and when the time comes I will place a Amish cooling unit in it, because the Norcold box has no problem as far as I am concerned.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakethib View Post
Man that is scary
I'm always worried when we leave the RV for awhile as we have 4 cats. They would have no way out if the fridge caught the RV on fire. Burning to death has to be horrible. The RV is insured. You can't replaced loved pets that are family members.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";1424722]
I have a 1200 with first recall has always run good and if and when the time comes I will place a [B][URL="http://rvcoolingunit.com/Default.aspx
Amish cooling unit[/URL][/B] in it, because the Norcold box has no problem as far as I am concerned.
OMG! They start at $525 and go over $1,000. They must be made of gold.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:22 AM   #62

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
OMG! They start at $525 and go over $1,000. They must be made of gold.
Did you look at the prices for a new OEM unit? If you had you would note that the Amish unit is significantly lower priced. You could save a little money by buying a rebuilt OEM unit, but you'd still have the same cheap construction as the original, but with half the life.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
I'm always worried when we leave the RV for awhile as we have 4 cats. They would have no way out if the fridge caught the RV on fire. Burning to death has to be horrible. The RV is insured. You can't replaced loved pets that are family members.
That's why when we leave we don't lock the door. I can replace anything in the RV except my 2 little guys. In the 5 years we have been RVing we never had anyone break in. If there is a fire I would hope someone would hear the dogs and open the door. We also let the people next door know the door is open in case something happens.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
That's why when we leave we don't lock the door. I can replace anything in the RV except my 2 little guys. In the 5 years we have been RVing we never had anyone break in. If there is a fire I would hope someone would hear the dogs and open the door. We also let the people next door know the door is open in case something happens.
This is a practice I usually follow as well. We like taking the whole family when we go somewhere but sometimes you just can't. I always let the neighbors know that the door is open. We also received a sticker from the fire department which is on the door in regards to "pets on board". So far NO problem and hope we never have to face one.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote