Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
COE rules

An incident happened today that I would like to get your take on. Here's the scenario.

A friend of mine wanted to get a site at a local COE CG. He went out this morning and found a camper that was leaving today. He was at the gatehouse waiting to pay for the site as soon as the other guy left.

Here's the rub. The gate attendant told him that another camper on another site had asked to move to this one when it was available, and that my friend could not have it.

The official rule at COE CG's is that unless the site is reserved it is available on a first-come first-served basis only. To me that means that if someone is standing there ready to pay when another camper vacates the site and leaves the CG, then he has the site!

There was a big squabble over this, even getting the COE regional office involved, but they sided with the gate attendant. They did say that this issue would be discussed and the rule clearly defined at their next meeting.

What's your feeling on this?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, my first reaction is that the other camper had already requested to move to the site, and was therefore "first" in "first come first served".
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Seems to me like the camper on-site had "reserved it" by their request to move. They were in the campground first, and (I assume) had already paid at least a deposit to be there.

I do agree that the "first come, first serve" rule needs some clarification for this very reason.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Well, my first reaction is that the other camper had already requested to move to the site, and was therefore "first" in "first come first served".
Agree.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I tend to agree with the others. Remember too that at a COE the gate attendants are (in my experience) campers there at the campground. That begs some "good ol' boy" stuff and I am not completely opposed to that as it generally is a good thing. COE camps have a very different feel for us than State Parks - they seem to have a lot of "long term" campers even though the rules are for x number of days.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why would your friend not just take the site that the other camper would be vacating
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Why would your friend not just take the site that the other camper would be vacating

It was not a sewer site, the one he wanted was.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #8

I'm afraid I'd have to side with the ones that were already there. They asked for it first....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #9

Pardon my ignorance, but what is COE?
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #10

Army Corps of Engineers Park.

I side with the Gate Attendant. The prior camper had requested that site, it was offered to them upon the occupant's departure. Therefore, a prior verbal reservation was made.

I don't think your friend has a valid argument, The Gate Attendant was the local authority on this topic; it should be respected.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Joe,
I have to agree with the others, the camper that was already in the park put in a verbal reservation for the site, so he should be the one that gets it.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I too, think the campers who already had spoken for the spot should have it. We have actually done that in the past. Travelling makes one flexible, and I would hope your friends have the flexibility to take the other site until one with sewer service opens up.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all of you for your comments!

I have to say I'm surprised at the response, although I certainly respect your opinions. My thinking is that this is a government CG with set rules that should be fair to everyone, not bent to accommodate a buddy. If it was a private CG, then I think I would feel differently about it.

Anyway, I think after this incident that the COE regional office will decide exactly how this rule is to be applied and hopefully this will never happen again.

Now as Paul Harvey would way, the rest of the story. It turns out that the guy who wanted the site decided to go home so my friend got the site after all! All's well that ends well I guess!
Old 05-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5pht View Post
I tend to agree with the others. Remember too that at a COE the gate attendants are (in my experience) campers there at the campground. That begs some "good ol' boy" stuff and I am not completely opposed to that as it generally is a good thing. COE camps have a very different feel for us than State Parks - they seem to have a lot of "long term" campers even though the rules are for x number of days.

Gary, the COE CG's here strictly enforce the length of stay rules. They have "prime sites" which are primarily sewer sites and sites that overlook the river. You can only stay 14 days on those sites. At the end of the 14 days you have the option to move to a "non-prime" site for another 14 days. At the end of 28 days you have to leave the CG for 7 days before beginning the cycle again. a Park Ranger drives through the CG several times a day checking the tags.