Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 12:32 PM   #1

Coins Coins Coins

WE just found a old shoe box with a lot of old coins from my newspaper delivery days and from other sources. I hate just having them sitting around gathering dust, so I'm looking for someway to dispose of them. One of them is a dollar and half gold coin that is the size of a dime. I didn't even know they ever made one and half coins! Several foreign coins one from Liberia, one and half cent piece, that was apparently minted here in the USA.

Anyone have any good ideas where or what is the best way to dispose of these where they will be appreciated?

Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #2

List on Ebay. Find a coin shop and get opinions.

We have a big bag of coins. We get them out about once in two years and just look at them and talk about them.

Should you find that the coins are not worth marketing, and you have no one nearby that wants them, send a PM for my address!

Matt B

Old 02-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #3

I would begin by googling each coin, I know it will be laborious, but you need to get an idea of value first. My guess is the Liberian ones won't be worth anything. Secondly you could sell each one on eBay but that means pictures and shipping is involved with each one or each lot you create. Or you could find a reputable coin shop, but be prepared to take a big hit on the value. Silver and Gold are both down marketwise, any gold coins hold the most value. This of course is only my opinion.

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 1 gallon jar that all of the change goes in. When it gets full I take it to the grocery store that has a coinstar machine. If you choose to get bills back they will charge you $.09 on the dollar, they offer several different gift card options also. I get an Amazon gift code and you get the full value of what you put in. As for your foreign coins a pawn shop might do, or an antique dealer depending on age.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:10 PM   #5

Bigd9, you might be surprised at what you have. Good luck.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 02-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Use the link below to find the closest Numismatic location to you. They helped my wifey sort thru a bunch of coins passed down to her. Very interesting, and not as boring as I thought it would be.

Bruce

https://www.money.org/
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:32 PM   #7

You may be sitting on quite a bit of money depending on what some of the older coins are. It would be worth it to see what they are worth before disposal.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Try a Gold and Silver place. Lots of coins are worth more as metal... don't let go of anything too soon but that's a great starting place. Ask me how I know.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:31 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends, if all you are asking is face value.. Any bank

If you want collectors value or a reasonable fraction there of it depends on how much work you wish to do.

Option 1 (Above) Research and list on line, In addition to E-Bay there are some "Coin collector" web sites.

Option 2: Coin dealer.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:16 PM   #10

Coin dealer first.

They can give a quick general value and maybe make an offer just like pawn stars or american pickers.

You also can check ebay completed sales to see if sny are selling and for how much.

Then seek out an antique store that does consignment and see what they can do.

Often for small things they just charge percentage and toss them in a case.

They can mail you a check when they are sold.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:59 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Link 1 will give ya an idea of what "junk silver" and coins are usually worth. Condition is the key and most "drawer money" is close to junk - as rare, mint, coins are and usually were rare to begin with. Usually is broad - and you can gauge your rarity pretty quickly. And yes a coin shop is a good idea. But you should pick up a magazine or the red book and look for yourself first.

Link 2. is better than junk but you're still looking at silver not collectible coins.

Link 3. I had a load of it - thought I was rich.

1. http://m.ebay.com/itm/181674945869

2. http://m.ebay.com/itm/191521819102

3. http://m.ebay.com/itm/381170487859

The gold coinage you have may be something - but at a minimum it's GOLD....

Foreign coins are a crap shoot. Often not gold or silver - and usually not rare. Again, usually is broad and general - but if it didn't come from a couple hundred feet under the sea... well..

Good luck - it's fun to research this and you don't need to hurry. Take your time and enjoy it. This is one case where junk ain't chump change.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:35 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like many folks, I toss my pocket change in a jug nightly and periodically cash it in at the supermarket machine. But now I quickly look through them manually before cashing in.

About a year ago I took a hefty jug to the store and fed the machine. The counter rejects some coins in the process, often 5 or 10. They're usually Canada coins, or damaged. I toss them in my pocket for retail spending.

This day I saw an odd penny, with an indian head. Stuck it in my pocket to check later.

When I sat down to check it out, I spent about a half hour tracking it down! The size of a penny. Not copper, but gold! Full headdress indian head on one side, standing eagle on the other. It was a 1926 gold 2-1/2 dollar coin, in surprisingly good condition. My checking seemed to indicate a value of about $250 or more. It sits in DW's jewelry box.

Look through those coins.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:24 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
John.. that's a great find. Less than 500k minted. Watch for the 1911. Less than 60k minted. Think of the odds. That's a sign to buy a lottery ticket. :thumbup: Also one of those oddball little gold coins that collector value exceeds gold price.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #14

Appears that the seller is making a little on the sale but the real money is in the shipping.