Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2015, 06:49 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coleman gas lanterns and stoves

Anybody here collect old Coleman gas lanterns and stoves?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2015, 06:51 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have my grandfather's J.C. Higgins (a Sears brand) camp stove from the 1960s.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:06 PM   #3

I ran into Dad's old Coleman white gas pump up lantern just the other day. He modified it to attract shrimp...it really is amazing how bright those mantles get. There's an old camp stove somewhere as well. Lots of childhood camping/shrimping memories in those units.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:20 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep, they were great. Nowadays they'd probably be classified as IEDs, but a lot of good childhood memories growing up, the hiss of the lantern, the smell of fresh cooked bacon in the morning on the Coleman stove.
The ones my parents had disappeared in the 80's, but I bought a couple lanterns, one at an Arizona flea market for $10 including the metal carrying case and accessories, one on eBay for $20, and just the other day picked up a stove at a flea market for $14 bucks.
Kids today go camping with flourescent and LED battery lanterns and propane canister stoves. Not the same.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-15-2015, 07:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Kids today go camping with flourescent and LED battery lanterns and propane canister stoves. Not the same.
Well, I can't cast any stones there...I don't even know if you can buy 'white gas' anymore.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Well, I can't cast any stones there...I don't even know if you can buy 'white gas' anymore.
Yep you sure can some large stores carry it like Meijer in Michigan and Indiana, you can even find it at some Walmarts, and of course CW. I still use my Coleman stove and its 38 years old.
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJeep View Post
Yep you sure can some large stores carry it like Meijer in Michigan and Indiana, you can even find it at some Walmarts, and of course CW. I still use my Coleman stove and its 38 years old.
I've got a couple of lanterns two stoves and a heater. I have used unleaded gas for years in them.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:00 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I could be wrong but I think "white gas" and unleaded are the same thing. In the 50's,60's and 70's, gas had lead in it, unleaded didn't come into play until late 70's.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-15-2015, 08:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I could be wrong but I think "white gas" and unleaded are the same thing. In the 50's,60's and 70's, gas had lead in it, unleaded didn't come into play until late 70's.
Not exactly! Unleaded gasoline contains a bunch of additives that make it suitable as motor fuel that you really don't want burning around your dinner.

Coleman fuel From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

White gas, exemplified by Coleman Camp Fuel, is a common naphtha-based fuel used in many lanterns and torchesColeman fuel is a petroleum naphtha product marketed by The Coleman Company. Historically called white gas (not White spirit), it is a liquid petroleum fuel (100% light hydrotreated distillate) sold in one gallon cans.[1] It is used primarily for fueling lanterns and camp stoves. Originally, it was simply casing-head gas or drip gas which has similar properties. Drip gas was sold commercially at gas stations and hardware stores in North America until the early 1950's. The White gas sold today is a similar product but is produced at refineries with the benzene removed.[2]

Coleman fuel is a mixture of cyclohexane, nonane, octane, heptane, and pentane.[3]

Though Coleman fuel has an octane rating of 50 to 55 and a flammability similar to gasoline, it has none of the additives found in modern gasoline and cannot be used as a substitute for gasoline, kerosene or diesel fuel in modern engines.[4] Its high heat of combustion and lack of octane boosting additives like tetra-ethyl lead will destroy engine valves, and its low octane rating would produce knocking.[4]

Look around on YouTube and you'll find videos on how to distill white gas from unleaded gasoline. If you really want to try it, please let your neighbors know in advance so they can get a restraining order against you!
Old 04-15-2015, 09:24 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I recently saw Coleman white gas for sale at a local Big 5 sporting goods store.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:46 AM   #11

[QUOTE=baraff;2513536]Yep, they were great. Nowadays they'd probably be classified as IEDs, but a lot of good childhood memories growing up, the hiss of the lantern, the smell of fresh cooked bacon in the morning on the Coleman stove.

Yeah it's funny how a smell like bacon frying will trigger memories. I remember when my father figured I was old enough to light the lantern. I never paid a whole lot of attention when he did it. So there I was pumping away and it's getting darker & darker, and he finally says, "put your thumb over the whole son and keep it there while you tighten up the pump".
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:38 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tossed my Coleman Stove (Appeared it was dangerous so I played safe..Old,Well rusted.. Used it many times in days of old)

Still use lantern.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Tossed my Coleman Stove (Appeared it was dangerous so I played safe..Old,Well rusted.. Used it many times in days of old)

Still use lantern.
Its to late now, but you do know there are Coleman Collectors groups out there and you can get replacement parts as well. My son found his great grandfather's stove, its so old it had the yellow instead of the red tank, and it still works !!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coleman lanterns

Don't throw out those Coleman Lanterns!! Couple of years ago at a campground I had an old one on my table ..a guy went by , stopped , looked at it and told me it was worth some big bucks!
I could not believe it ..but there are collectors out there...

Tags
gas