Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #29

I must back-up a bit and confess I do have one issue with the way some people write on the internet. Using letters to replace words when writing while on the internet. I understand why they do when texting (not really a word); the number buttons are way to small for real typing and it takes too long for impatient people. It boils down to being lazy, as a previous reply stated.
I do the best I can at the time, and hope what I read is the best from other people.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:20 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I must back-up a bit and confess I do have one issue with the way some people write on the internet. Using letters to replace words when writing while on the internet.
I spent 10 years plus sending message to dispatch on a Qualcomm system. Essentially, no vowels (like the Old Testament!) and lots of abbreviations. Drove me crazy. On a regular basis, we'd get a message back from dispatch: "What???" And, on a regular basis, we'd have to send them a message like that.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:34 AM   #31

I too am surprised by the people that have a difficult time using the word, "brakes/breaks" when describing how to stop a vehicle. Another one the I am amazed by is the use of the word "vacuum". I've seen that word spelled, I don't know how many ways.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:47 AM   #32

to, too, two
their, there
descent, decent
you're, your
expecially instead of especially
mine, mines
ask, axed
brakes, breaks

Especially annoying is the addition of an extra "d" in contractions such as couldn't being pronounced "coulddunt" by the younger generation.

With the huge use of twitter, texting, etc., the English language will be without vowels in the not too distant future. I guess it won't be important because spanish will be the preferred language in most of the country.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
A BIG equalizer would be a tiny application that you can download that works wonders here. The one thing it does not check is grammar.

Open an Edit/Quote/Post Reply session; Click on the √ABC directly above the "smilies" and install an application called ieSpell Check! (Internet Explorer Spell Check)

You can also click on the link above.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #34

misspell, roommate
Steve48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #35

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
I, like Ken got an education in engineering. I don't have a clue if that should be I or me and quite frankly could care less.
This is not actually a misspelling, and I don't know why it bugs me so much, but it does. What the author means here is that he cares so little that he couldn't care less. However, it is very common to say that you could care less, which actually means that you care.

While we're at it, (and these are big pet peeves also) not misspellings, but common mispronunciations:

It's Library, not Liberry
It's Nuclear, not Nucular
and for the love of god, it's Wash, not Worsh.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Go RVing and stop correcting papers my elitest friends. If I spell anything incorrectly, I meant to.

I still think you are all great anyweigh !!!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Go RVing and stop correcting papers my elitest friends. If I spell anything incorrectly, I meant to.
I try to spell things properly and to use correct grammar. Being and engineer and from Texas does not help. My wife is a language major and drives me bonkers finding words spelled incorrectly of used in the wrong context.

I agree....Let's go RVing and enjoy life.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm not sure if I could or couldn't but it don't make no difference cause I'm just a reck now but I think I'll go rving eventho I probably couldn't. Thanks for the info Ken, I ain't gonna ever talk around Susan ever agin and I mean every.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:14 AM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
An important thing to remember about spelling!

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
idenphones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:40 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by idenphones View Post
An important thing to remember about spelling!

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Interesting

I read the whole thing and didn't miss a word

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I before E except after C. Weird! Their all spelling it wrong.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I still think you are all great anyweigh !!!!
I think you mean "grate"

My pet peeve is using " 's " to form a plural. I don't know why, but it just bugs the heck out of me.