Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2010, 11:04 PM   #57

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I enjoyed every post above and respect every poster's right to their opinion. A very effective technique for proof-reading a document is to read it aloud to yourself (or to simply "mouth" the words if reading aloud would disturb anyone). It seems that the additional mechanical and auditory elements of this practice will allow one to detect many errors. When you labor over a document such as a resume' you become "immune" to your simple errors through familiarity with the document. Reading it aloud really does help. Meanwhile, the informality of this venue in the true pursuit of helping one another does not compell the strictist atenshun to spleling and gammer! Happy Trails!

Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2010, 01:04 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have a silly question that I want your opinions on, please.

What is the plural of 'deer?' I had a mild but funny argument with a teacher a while back as she kept saying deers. She claims the old way of calling a single animal or a herd 'deer' is passÚ and that the new correct way is deers if you mean more than one. Now either I am a fossil or we are graduating way too many under educated professionals.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:13 AM   #59

A word misused in the south is cent. I hear it all the time. "An order of fries is 40 cent extra." I always thought a cent was one penny and more than one penny was cents.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:08 AM   #60
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post

What is the plural of 'deer?' I had a mild but funny argument with a teacher a while back as she kept saying deers. She claims the old way of calling a single animal or a herd 'deer' is passÚ and that the new correct way is deers if you mean more than one. Now either I am a fossil or we are graduating way too many under educated professionals.
Deer.

Quote:
deer

 /dɪər/ Show Spelled[deer] Show IPA
ľnoun, plural deer, ( occasionally ) deers. 1. any of several ruminants of the family Cervidae, most of the males of which have solid, deciduous antlers.

2. any of the smaller species of this family, as distinguished from the moose, elk, etc.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #61

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
I, like Ken got an education in engineering. I don't have a clue if that should be I or me and quite frankly could care less. I don't think any more or less of you if you don't know how to solve E=MC squared. There are many forums for the improvement of writing styles, techniques and spelling but as I understand iRV2 is about rving

Heck, some of us just learned to type the other day and already you expect grammatically correct sentence. Lower the bar.
I agree, some type with both hands and some type with 1 or 2 fingertips, either way, the job gets done. Some will take this personally and may not post any comments in the future , sad because some of them really know what is going on with our rv's and have a lot to share, and some are just humorous and make my day. I am pleased to be a part of such a group of people, down to earth, helpful, funny, and some are very serious (some are too serious).
yesterday is gone, can't change anything we did or said, today is a gift, (present) tomorrow is not guaranteed, but we need to expect and plan just in case we are one of the fortunate ones that get a 'tomorrow'
Have a blessed day!

"Travlin with a song and prayer"
Me n Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #62

Ha! After seeing some the responses it appears a few take this subject matter a bit too seriously. The intent was for some funny conversation about pet peeves in the grammatical world - faux pas that we're all guilty of. Perhaps some just don't have a sense of humor anymore? lol?

If someone chooses not to post for fear of grammatical ridicule by the nice folks on here then they have more serious issues with which nobody here can help with! haha
Old 08-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #63

Well...maybe yes, maybe no.

Until Dr. Johnson, there was no such thing as a dictionary. He invented it.

And what was the effect?

It standardized spelling and pronunciation. Before his time, traveling out of London could be a harrowing experience, since, for all practical purposes, the language changed in each village you came to. The same was true all over the world.

The New World was settled by people from various countries who were widespread in their colonies. Without some way to standardize their language, there was no way of writing letters, not to mention contracts, invoices, etc.

So, the purpose of standardization is not to beat others over the head with arcane rules, but rather to be sure that what we write is well understood.

I heard this author on "Talk of the Nation" on NPR. He traveled around the country, correcting typos on signs.

The Great Typo Hunt | Available in bookstores everywhere!
Old 08-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #64

Texas Boomers Club
A big sign in our lobby yesterday had "ACOUNTABILITY"(sic) prominately displayed on it. Nobody noticed until this morning then it came down at lunchtime. O' course me, I don't spel two guud anyhows.
& 2014 Jeep Sahara Unlimited Toad
"Get It While You Can"
jwomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #65

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post

deers is correct. As in "Ja seen deers on dat guys head?"
& 2014 Jeep Sahara Unlimited Toad
"Get It While You Can"
jwomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwomack View Post
deers is correct. As in "Ja seen deers on dat guys head?"
Sounds a tad Youperish to me!
Old 08-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #67

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
does the dear have any dough, year! too bucks, I sea the lite. What?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
damdannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:02 AM   #68

I object to the wrong information given,not the way the answer was spelled.
BOB
Old 08-19-2010, 05:06 AM   #69

It is really confusing as deers looks right but is incorrect
Other examples of the singular and plural being the same such as moose, sheep, bison, salmon, pike, trout, fish, swine
Old 08-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkyJordan View Post
It is really confusing as deers looks right but is incorrect
Other examples of the singular and plural being the same such as moose, sheep, bison, salmon, pike, trout, fish, swine
And the reason is that we got many of the words that don't have a discernible plural from very old English words, mainly. This is also the reason many old English measurements are not given as plurals, such as, "He weighs 12 stone."