Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2016, 05:22 PM   #1

Confused on hitch weight

Greetings all, new member here.

I have a 19' light weight dual axle Fleetwood Prowler. I'm buying a second hand ML350 diesel to haul it, but am confused about tongue weight limits.

Dry, the trailer hitch is 250 lbs, but once you add propane tanks, battery, luggage in the storage, water etc it's going to be 600 lbs! For a light weight trailer (2500lbs dry) that's quite high?

At first I thought a class 3 hitch would work, but I'm thinking I'm way off! What monstrous hitch do I need to pull a "light weight" trailer!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated..

Heavy tongued Tom Hudson
TomHudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2016, 05:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHudson View Post
Greetings all, new member here.

I have a 19' light weight dual axle Fleetwood Prowler. I'm buying a second hand ML350 diesel to haul it, but am confused about tongue weight limits.

Dry, the trailer hitch is 250 lbs, but once you add propane tanks, battery, luggage in the storage, water etc it's going to be 600 lbs! For a light weight trailer (2500lbs dry) that's quite high?

At first I thought a class 3 hitch would work, but I'm thinking I'm way off! What monstrous hitch do I need to pull a "light weight" trailer!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated..

Heavy tongued Tom Hudson
whats your worry???
Class 3 hitch rating
  • Hauls a gross trailer weightof up to 8,000 pounds
  • Handles a tongue weight of up to 800 pounds
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #3

Thank you for a very quick response..

I think I'm confused on the internet postings of hitch limits..
I thought 600 was the limit on these class 3 hitches..
Always wondering if I toss a generator or coolers in there...

Tom

Ps

I hope I posted this in the correct section..
Old 12-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHudson View Post
Thank you for a very quick response..

I think I'm confused on the internet postings of hitch limits..
I thought 600 was the limit on these class 3 hitches..
Always wondering if I toss a generator or coolers in there...

Tom

Ps

I hope I posted this in the correct section..
I doubt a little 19 foot tandum axle trailer will have that much tongue weight
Old 12-14-2016, 06:50 PM   #5

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
I doubt a little 19 foot tandum axle trailer will have that much tongue weight
So was I.

The front really extends out past the axles. Tongue weight is 250lbs

Water tank etc all adds up!

I was confused that a light weight trailer would require a heavy duty hitch.

For clarification I have a class 3 on my Caravan and towed that trailer last year without issue. The new Ml350 was just to replace for towing ease and day to day lifestyle requirements!

I just want to do it right
Old 12-14-2016, 08:21 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
It all depends on where you get your info from.

From Joe blow website...
Class III

These versatile trailer hitch receivers are typically installed on pickup trucks, minivans, and full-size SUVs. Class III hitches use a 2" x 2" receiver tube for the ball mount, and they are rated for towing a gross trailer weight ranging from 3,500 to 6,000 lbs and a tongue weight ranging from 350 to 600 lbs. These are usually used for towing mid-sized campers, utility trailers, and mid-sized boats.
Opening Sizes - GTW - Tongue Weight Capacity
2" - 3,500-6,000 lbs - 350-600 lbs

Different manufacture's are going to have different standards.
As well as websites.
So your best option is go to the manufacturer of your hitch to get their weight rating for their product.

From Reese website...
Class III - Larger trailers and accessories
  1. Class III hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 6000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a 600 lbs. maximum trailer tongue weight (TW).
  2. Class III hitches used for weight distributing are rated up to 10,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a 1000 lbs. maximum trailer tongue weight (TW)
  3. Class III hitches are weight carrying (WC) and also are weight distributing (WD) depending on the vehicle and hitch specifications.
  4. Not all Class III hitches are rated to be both. See the specific hitch for that information.
  5. A Class III hitch usually has a 2" square receiver opening.
  6. A higher class ball mount does not increase the towing capacity of the hitch. To use this class of hitch for weight distribution requires a weight distribution system.
  7. Class III hitches attach to the vehicle frame only.
82ndCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #7

class 111 for ml350
Gross Trailer Weight: 5000 lbs.
Tongue Weight: 500 lbs.

your in good shape with the 19 ft trailer fully loaded
Old 12-15-2016, 06:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
class 111 for ml350
Gross Trailer Weight: 5000 lbs.
Tongue Weight: 500 lbs.

your in good shape with the 19 ft trailer fully loaded
Cheers,

After I pick up the ML, I'll hit Action and see what they have..

Looking forward heading out to Mosport without a worry..

Old 12-18-2016, 08:48 AM   #9

Tom, I struggle with your tongue weight estimate as well. Keep in mind that when you add weight in back of the ball, part of that weight will be supported by the trailer's axles. The further back, the higher percentage of the weight placed on the axles. For example (No clue of specifics of course), but that water tank on a 19' trailer could be half way between the trailer ball and the axles. That would mean that the weight of any water in that tank would be split between/equally supported by the hitch and the axles.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:23 AM   #10

Thank you,

I would agree as well that the weight of the water tank as it goes back towards. the centerpoint, is reduced in tongue weight.
I believe that my concerns are alleviated that even with the extra weight, the class III hitch will be plenty to ease my concerns.

I have a large deep cycle battery, because I use the solar panels to supply any electrical needs, two propane tanks, and of course odds and ends tucked away in the cubbies.

I appreciate all the feedback, it allows me time to get everything prepared properly for the spring.

TomHudson

Tags
fuse, weight