Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2015, 10:19 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Contaminated LP

Just had an expensive repair as a result of getting contaminated LP. Regulator full of oil and shut down. Needed a new regulator. All LP appliances had to be tested to ensure they weren't damaged, including, the generator. Lines had to be blown and LP tank removed and cleaned. Service mechanic suggested to buy LP from a supplier who has a lot of activity. Got the contaminated LP from Camping World. Anyone have the same problems and any other suggestions to prevent this from reoccurring.
rivolivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivolivia View Post
Just had an expensive repair as a result of getting contaminated LP. Regulator full of oil and shut down. Needed a new regulator. All LP appliances had to be tested to ensure they weren't damaged, including, the generator. Lines had to be blown and LP tank removed and cleaned. Service mechanic suggested to buy LP from a supplier who has a lot of activity. Got the contaminated LP from Camping World. Anyone have the same problems and any other suggestions to prevent this from reoccurring.
rivolivia
None.
(Other than never buy anything from Camping World that you can get anywhere else)!
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:18 PM   #3

Who provided this diagnosis?

While anything is possible, it should be noted that the tube providing LP vapor to the regulator is located near the top of the tank. One would assume that liquid reaching the regulator would have come from a tank full of something (who knows what). Also, that something would would have to be freeze resistant down to a pretty low temp to move within a tank of LP.

In my experience, 19 years both filling LP tanks and RV tech in a largish RV dealership, I've never heard of such a thing happening.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Who provided this diagnosis?
While anything is possible, it should be noted that the tube providing LP vapor to the regulator is located near the top of the tank. One would assume that liquid reaching the regulator would have come from a tank full of something (who knows what). Also, that something would would have to be freeze resistant down to a pretty low temp to move within a tank of LP.
In my experience, 19 years both filling LP tanks and RV tech in a largish RV dealership, I've never heard of such a thing happening.
ahicks
It happened to me when my coach was 12 years old but only the 2 stage LP regulator was gunked up with a thick yellow oily liquid.
I replaced the regulator and the propane system has been fine since.
See also: RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Oil in LP line
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-11-2015, 01:39 PM   #5

My guess is that you're talking about something that happens after a LOT of LP gas has passed through a regulator. That "perfume" they put in the gas will occasionally settle out - but not to the point an entire system is contaminated.

Generally the regulator is written off and replaced, and you go on about your business.

Calling the cause of this issue contaminated fuel would be a stretch. - My opinion.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
paz

LP (liquid petroleum) gas is a byproduct of oil refining. There is sometimes dark brown residue left in the propane from the refining process. Usually, it settles to the bottom of the tank where is doesn't do any harm; but if there is enough of it, it can get out into the regulator, which necessitates replacement of the regulator.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:29 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
If I recall correctly, the coach regulator is a sacrificial part and it is recommended that it be replaced every couple of years. I replaced mine shortly after I bought this coach, a couple of years ago. Over the years I have replaced many.

On a earlier coach with a propane generator I had a regulator problem. The tech replaced the regulator and dumped oil out of the old one. I noticed a button on the side of the new regulator. One day the generator would not start. I reached up into the dark, deep reassesses over the generator where the regulator was located, found the button and pushed it. Goop came out. The genny started and ran fine after that.

I think someone needed work and your money. Sorry for being so blunt. That is what I think happened to me also.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 07-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
If I recall correctly, the coach regulator is a sacrificial part and it is recommended that it be replaced every couple of years. I replaced mine shortly after I bought this coach, a couple of years ago. Over the years I have replaced many.
On a earlier coach with a propane generator I had a regulator problem. The tech replaced the regulator and dumped oil out of the old one. I noticed a button on the side of the new regulator. One day the generator would not start. I reached up into the dark, deep reassesses over the generator where the regulator was located, found the button and pushed it. Goop came out. The genny started and ran fine after that.
I think someone needed work and your money. Sorry for being so blunt. That is what I think happened to me also.
Happy trails,
Rick Y
jerichorick
See #5 of these: "9 Things You Need To Know About Your RV Propane Regulator".
Your RV Propane Regulator: 9 Things You Need To Know
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-12-2015, 09:20 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
jerichorick
See #5 of these: "9 Things You Need To Know About Your RV Propane Regulator".
Your RV Propane Regulator: 9 Things You Need To Know
Mel
'96 Safari
Interesting article but I do recall seeing some information someplace about every 2 years. Must have been a dealer wanting to sell more regulators.

I have had a life time of exposure to propane usage. (I'm so old that I remember when God was planting rock seeds. That means I'm NOT as old as dirt. ) I have seen regulators last for many years in stick home usage and a season in gas grill applications. This is my third DP in about 10 years. Each was used. Each had the regulator fail long before the 15 year mark. Good article, true, but subject to real RV life.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 07-19-2015, 07:43 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Last year my propane generator became hard to start. Required several attempts. I checked the fuel valve with external 12 volts and it would give a dull thunk but not every time the voltage was applied. Replaced the fuel valve and the fuel filter. (Located together) The filter was covered with a dark brown paste. The new fuel valve made a sharp snap when power was applied and the starting problems resolved. There is a substance in with the propane that will effect regulators. filters and fuel valves.
Below- The brown goop is leaking from my regulator, it needed to be replaced. At about 14 years....
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote