Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2008, 03:52 AM   #15

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We got smart polticans here in North Carolina, they not been caught yet !!
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:23 AM   #16

Finally our corrupt state of Louisiana isn't at the top or bottom of a list. After electing a clean fresh face to the Governor's office, who just happened to immediately PO most of both houses, we now have some effective ethics legislation. Of course now the RNC says that anyone who can do that in this state has got to be some sort of Superman and are touting him for much greater things nationally.

And the biggie is that the esteemed a US Congressman who is under indictment along with 4 or 5 of his immediate family was voted out of office 2 wks ago, beaten by a relative unknown Vietnamese immigrant.
Yes there is a Santa Claus.
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:19 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
After electing a clean fresh face to the Governor's office
Wonder when this is going to work its way down to New Orleans.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:01 AM   #18

historyljc
The Esteemed US Congressman mentioned was from New Orleans, none other than $$Bill Jefferson. His district had only 11% Republicans but the apathy of his constituants let them fail to vote.
As far as the rest of the Big Easy, almost all of the former mayors inner circle are either in prison or under indictment and if the incoming President's admin. will let US Atty. Jim Letten stay he will bring down the former mayor and also hopefully before he's appointed to a big federal post. Figure the odds on that.
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:04 PM   #19

I think Texas may still have a standing record back in the day in Duval and Parr counties where more dead people voted than alive ones.
Glen41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:36 AM   #20

That list is invalid...Massachusetts & Rhode Island are not on it.

1993 International Genesis conversion
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:56 PM   #21

When we first started our business in a small town (under 10,000 people), we were shocked to be asked for a bribe of $2,000 to not have to install a fire sprinkler system. Just right out of the blue. We declined and spent the next 10 years fighting the system. We ended up spending probably about 10 times the amount of the bribe over the years and had a lot of sleepless nights. The corruption was rampant and we were very stupid in thinking it was just one official. They were smart and are still doing it after we sold our business. I do have a clear conscious, but am about $20,000 short. I think that corruption is just as bad or worse in small towns as in large towns and states. It is rampant and even sworn police officers were right in there with their hand out.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:25 AM   #22

I had a contractor tell me once that the most lucrative city/county government position is being on the P&Z commission. He said if you begin in that position with a net worth of $250,000, you should have over $1,000,000 in a few years!
lawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:09 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
We lived one year in Kentucky, and it was so rampant it was laughable, something right out of Tennessee Williams. When I first arrived, the local banker took me to lunch, explained he was also the county prosecutor, plus some official involvement in county government. He made me aware that as long as I kept all my "peoples' politics in order, no need to worry about minor issues like building permits, zoning restrictions, etc.,. . ." His office was in the county seat, a "town" of about three buildings, but connected to the Interstate by a mile and a half four-lane freeway.

One year was a hoot; two would have been depressing.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:40 AM   #24

The average time for an elected official who is going to clean it up to become a crook himself is about 2 weeks.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:23 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Some are in a state of corruption.
Others are in a state of confusion.

Either way we lose.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #26
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
The average time for an elected official who is going to clean it up to become a crook himself is about 2 weeks.
Goodness!! We are in the first week of the new administration in Washington. Look out for the first week in February!
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally posted by lawdude:
I had a contractor tell me once that the most lucrative city/county government position is being on the P&Z commission. He said if you begin in that position with a net worth of $250,000, you should have over $1,000,000 in a few years!
Obviously I'm in the wrong city. I was on the Board of Zoning Adjustment for 3 years and the Planning Commission for 5 more. I never asked for, nor was I ever offered, a bribe of any sort. Maybe it was just obvious that I wouldn't have tolerated anything of the sort.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:36 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by doc:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The average time for an elected official who is going to clean it up to become a crook himself is about 2 weeks.
Goodness!! We are in the first week of the new administration in Washington. Look out for the first week in February! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No need to wait. Being from Chicago, they've had decades of example and practice.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote