Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #29
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Intresting discussion, seems slanted toward using the RV on a full time basis. No doubt some do average forty dollars per night, I do not think this would be the average cost for the part time or vacationing RV'r.

dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #30
Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
Yes indeed there are ways to reduce costs and many approaches towards that goal are provided in this discussion.

For brevity sake, I have omitted qouting most of your posting here, recognizing that a reader can see the full context in your posting.

Again, I think we are in unison on wanting to give the OP and anyone interested a fair opinion of what they might encounter as RV site fees. While I certainly do not want to set them up for unpleasant surprises of being underbudgeted, neither do I want to scare them away before they have a chance by overstating their potential costs.

You cite two examples to support the approximate $40/night argument.

First of all, I would say that I know of no one who full-times that pays "full retail" nightly rates as these examples suggest. Simply by staying a week or month at a time in most parks, or using discounts such as Passport America, one can greatly reduce full retail price and still have the necessary services and reasonable amenities.

I cannot get your link to Ft McMurray Alberta to work, nor can I find what seems to be your target by Googling. So, I don't know what that link would have told me. But even from your comments, $40 is the high end of your qouted range, and that is a nightly rate. I will presume that even they offer substantial discounts for weekly or monthly stays. If not, I personally would immediately scratch them from my prospect list.

The calculation of multiplying the nightly rate times 30 or 31 to get a monthly rate is ludicrous. Virtually any commercial park, other than possibly KOA's which are a certain and absolute NO-NO for RV'ers with only a small amount of experience, will offer a monthly rate of approximately 65% of the nightly rate.

Your second citation (budsmith) is one person's theoretical calculation. You qoute a part of his comments, but let's expand that......."I made a check on cost of Florida parks...There is approximatally 360 parks in Fla...I took the highest cost listed from each park..and averaged them out...If I stay in each park one night the average cost would be $41.27".

The key ingredients there....(1) "in Fla", one of the highest states in the nation for camping fees (2) "highest cost for each", (3) "stay one night in each".

Again, simply ludicrous that anyone with any intelligence and concern for cost would commit the triple-play of those factors!!!!!

Trust me, as a career CPA and lifetime proponent of a very high standard of personal financial management, you will not find anyone who is a stronger advocate of responsible financial living.

You will find that issue discussed throughout my journal. I am not mentioning my journal to promote it, but only to offer it as one of many sources from which a prospect can see the actual experience of someone who has full-timed for awhile.

Finally, I am not sure what you mean by "take care to keep the ruffled feathers to a minimum". I don't know if you meant that to me, but I personally have no ruffled feathers except when I see sensationalism published as the supposed norm which has the risk of scaring people away from enjoying this great life of seeing our great nation.

Gary Watts
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 36 QSH, 2002 Jeep Wrangler
MHingFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
On long trips the DW and I will boondock for a night or two and then full-service for the night to recharge batteries and get Internetted again.

I find that I can get to be away from the amenities a few days longer but the DW needs to have the creature comforts more often.

If you pay one in three nights it cuts the costs of staying by two thirds for the not moving part. Now to figure out the two thirds cost cutting for while on the move.
Denise and Dennis Dalla-Vicenza Co-pilot Mizzie
Gracie a Winnebago 29 RQ +
George a Suzuki Toad
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #32
Newmar Owners Club
Time with my wife, our dog, and visiting the country in our own home:........ PRICELESS.
Tom & Kelly
'02 Mt. Aire DP 4095
a10koaksfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #33
Fleetwood Owners Club

Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
The 30 amp 120v RV service is for smaller RV's while the 50a/240 service is for larger ones. -- a lifestyle choice.
My class A 34' with one slide must be a small one to you.
And the 50 AMP RV's are also 120V on both legs.
Hooking to a 240V is a NO NO
Originally Posted by Conquest102 View Post
The 30 or 50 amp is based on the size of the rig the easy way to tell is if you have one or two A/C units 2 of them and your 50 amp.
They are many 30 AMP rigs with 2 A/C units that both A/C units can run at the same time with a EMS installed on only 30 AMP. I have one of those.

Then there are many more that have 2 A/C units with 30 AMP that can only run one A/C at a time.

So if they are 2 A/C on the roof doesn't mean the RV has a 50 AMP service.
mythplaced ; some of your cost seem kind of high to me 100-350 a month for maintance. At 10000 a year depreciation my rig would be worth nothing.
By NADA your MH was around $52,535 when new and low retail today is $7,820. So it has depreciated $2,981 a year.
And if you include tires and any repairs in the maintenance cost.
mythplaced..Isn't far off

Mine Full Time for 106 months maintenance average is $121.87 a month. Including repair/replace of House items.
Includes A/C fan motor, TV's, jack motor, headlights, fogged window etc.

For OP, campground cost when full time. Weekly or monthly cost can keep the $40 a night way down.
Also when traveling 1 or 2 overnight stops using Passport America can keep it below $40
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #34
iRV2 No Limits Club
6 tires every 5 years means
You will buy 2 sets @ an average of $500ea =
$3K every 5 years or $6K/10years =
$600/year or $50/month JUST in tires!

Your still looking at Class A my class C tires are 155.00 each out the door. It only has 2 batteries one house one coach. You are making me more happy I went to a C my cost have gone WAY down. I just put 8 new tires on for 1200.00. Thats barely 4 on your rig.

Where does this myth about having to get new tires every 5 years come from!!!!?
Even the tire manufacturers don't say that!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #35
Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
I could accept 10% depreciation based on a percentage of the previous year's value. For instance, a $200,000 rig would be worth $180,000 ($200,000 - $20,000) at the end of year one. At the end of year two, it would be worth $162,000 ($180,000 - $18,000). At this rate the rig would be worth $69,700 at the end of year ten. But this is all just playing with numbers. The idea is to enjoy the rig and not worry about resale.

And my apologies to the OP. We have gone way off topic here.
BINGO! We have a winner!
Michael (Home base Northern CO)
USED TO HAVE; 03 Alpine 40MDTS Now RVless
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #36
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post

Where does this myth about having to get new tires every 5 years come from!!!!?
Even the tire manufacturers don't say that!
For me, it is not a myth or something driven by the manufacturers. I've had passenger car tires fail in 5 years, the last one just sitting. It is my personal choice because I'm worried about the fact that our RV does not get constant use and the moisture build up can rust out the steel belts. I have not found any tire shop that I would trust to do an unmount and inspection - with my family's lives hanging in the balance of their opinion. All tire makers recommend unmounted inspections (which have costs) after 5 years. Just one blow out could cause more damage to the RV than the entire set of tires. It is simply my choice and since I'm the one who takes the risks and pays the consequences of them, it is my preference.

I have tracked every penny that we've spent in every category on our RV since we've owned it. We've had a high of 50 days of camping in a year and a low of 32 days. We are not full timers or even part times but typically use the RV on one long trip per year and lots of camping weekends and rallies.
1. When we bought the RV, I wrote it off. I expect it to be worth nearly nothing by the time we are done with it. Since I never intend to sell it, I don't consider the depreciation.
2. Because of the way that we travel, fuel is by far the next largest expense. One trip was 4,400 miles in 22 days when diesel was as high as $4.599. Using the RV was still cheaper with $1,600 in diesel costs than any other way we could have done it. We parked in the driveways of relatives with zero camping costs those nights, though there were a couple of $40 per night campgrounds on that trip, too.
3. Meal costs can more than offset others. Because DW is diabetic, we rarely eat out. Cooking mostly all of our meals and shopping for groceries in places that we visit is part of the charm of RVing for us. We did 18 days in Yellowstone/Grand Tetons and ate one meal outside of the RV.
3. Maintenance costs can be quite a range. I now do all of my own preventive work and most of the repairs. I have extended life coolant in the radiator and Transyd in the transmission so the frequency is down for those items. Supply costs are way up but overall we've spent $17K over 7 years. Some years, it has been $3-4K while others it has been $1K-1,500. On the years where I have to replace the air brake canister or tires, it is more. In the beginning, the costs were much higher because I took the RV to "professionals." The last two years were $800 and $1,500. I'm not counting this year yet. I am a maintenance nut and adhere as closely as I can to the manufacturer's recommendations.

I view RVing as I do many other things. Most of the costs come down to personal decisions that you make, not norms based on the experience of others. I will say that the way that we use the RV now is not what I ever imagined. The years have taught us ways to keep the costs down and still be able to experience the enjoyment that we were seeking. There is nothing like cooking a steak in your site - while watching the sunset over Devil's Tower.
2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP
2005 Saturn Vue toad
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #37
I fulltime in a old fiver and an old truck. How can I get in on the rebates for depreciation? I cud use a few extra thou. I spend 4.00 a day for parking. Most of the cost is absorbed by drydocking. Boondocking is a thing for the lefties out west, not for the rest of the u.s.

I hve the same tires on my fiver that were on it in 2002 and they are in perfect shape. The truck tires , I put on in dec 05 and they are still half used.

I do my own maintenace and spend about 20 bucks a month on oil/filter. I put brakes on my truck in Nov 04.

If I drove 20000 miles a year, it might be different. So when figuring out what it cost, figure out what you are gonna do, doing it.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #38
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
You can spend a lot less than $40/night if you look in to State, BLM, COE, or National Parks, get passes (Senior Pass for National if you are 62), even many municipal parks are $10-$15. State and National will vary, but $20-$30 is the norm we have found.

What are "BLM, COE" parks.

Do municipal parks have hookups?
jemma112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #39
Originally Posted by Glassalley52 View Post
I for one like the quiet ones on the bank of a river or pond that don't have much more than water, electric and a nice clean bathhouse.
Sounds like heaven.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #40
Can anyone tell me if it is illegal to stay overnight at a rest area along the highway?
Old 06-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #41
Thanks so much for all the info.

Another question I have is how long do the batteries hold out without being plugged in and how long does the water last. I see many have 6 gal. tanks. I don't think that would last for a shower?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #42
Originally Posted by jemma112 View Post
Can anyone tell me if it is illegal to stay overnight at a rest area along the highway?
The rules vary state to state, some yes, some no, some with qualifications. If you Google or Bing "interstate highway overnight parking rules", you will get a plethora of links, many of which are to comprehensive books you can buy or individual states' rules to help answer your question.

Gary Watts
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 36 QSH, 2002 Jeep Wrangler
MHingFun is offline   Reply With Quote