Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #29

Gulf Streamers Club
If people don't like the crowds, don't shop there. Let Costco know and maybe they'll build a bigger store, put in more check out lanes, etc. All the complaining about it being CANADIANS, and the added off thread comments about Mexicans, well that's just nonsense. Money is money, if people are buying, that's good for business.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
New CostCo opened today in Sarasota,Fl. It is connected to a mall so business should be good. Naturally, the opening days are crowded but if you relax it's not bad. Got one of their enormous hot dogs and a 20oz drink for a buck fifty. Might be my new lunch place.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Last spring, Costco opened a new store in Pharr Texas just across the border from Reynosa Mex.
It was built to support the Locals, Winter Texans, and the large shopping assembly from Mexico.
Last ear the wealthy from Monterrey Mex.(Mex. Richest city) charted jets to the RGV for Christmas shopping. And they were not the Cartels, they are the businessmen, workers, and owners of the factories, of all the stuff we buy in the states. GM, Ford, Carrier,John Deer and many other large factories are in Mex. So it is great that they bring some of that money back and spend it in the USA.
Costco and I welcome it!
That's odd. There are two Costco stores in Monterrey.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
That's odd. There are two Costco stores in Monterrey.
It was all over the news in the valley. Maybe it is not safe to shop in Mexico.

[South Texas:]More Mexicans visit Valley via air to avoid violence
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishseeker View Post
I'm here to tell you that place is a ZOO!! Shopped there a few times and gave up. Some of the RUDEST people I have ever seen. Eas Indians or Canaisans will run their cart over you to get to where they want to go. My wife carrys an O2 tank and its obvious she not healthy. Don't matter to them. We would drive 40 miles south to Burlington, Much SAINER there. Let me say I'm NOT a Bigot, I just hate rude people no matter where their from! They do pump alot into the economy though, and are welcomed with open arms by buisnes.
No lies here! I was just there this afternoon, 45 minutes in the gas line because all the Canadians were filling their jerry cans to haul gas across the border. It wouldn't be bad if they only filled one but most have four 5 gallon cans which they put in the trunk right next to their 20 gallons of milk! It will take a huge fire ball on the freeway to put this to a halt. The gas prices here are artificially high because the Canadians are willing to pay whatever as long as it is cheaper than what they would pay at home. It would seem that with all the free stuff they get from their government, they would want to spend at home to support their free medical.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishseeker View Post
I'm here to tell you that place is a ZOO!! Shopped there a few times and gave up. Some of the RUDEST people I have ever seen. Eas Indians or Canaisans will run their cart over you to get to where they want to go. My wife carrys an O2 tank and its obvious she not healthy. Don't matter to them. We would drive 40 miles south to Burlington, Much SAINER there. Let me say I'm NOT a Bigot, I just hate rude people no matter where their from! They do pump alot into the economy though, and are welcomed with open arms by buisnes.
Whats an Eas Indians and a Canaisans?...........and what does SAINER mean?......Bigots always start out by saying "I'm not a biggot...but.."
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Costco likes very busy stores. In areas where the crowds are manageable, they mull over closing them. I have a friend who works at the busiest one in our local market. It is across from the least expensive grocery store in the area that is also a madhouse. Folks do a 1-2 punch.

As for Bellingham, I used to live there. The retail is outsized for the size of market it is. The Canadian business is very important, ESP with an economy that no longer has timber and fishing industries for the most part.

Folks arrive with empty suitcases, stay overnight in hotels, shop for clothing during the day, pull the tags and bring the cases back full, often without declaring items. Or at least that was common practice when I lived there.

When the exchange rate was reversed, many places were suffering.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
No lies here! I was just there this afternoon, 45 minutes in the gas line because all the Canadians were filling their jerry cans to haul gas across the border. It wouldn't be bad if they only filled one but most have four 5 gallon cans which they put in the trunk right next to their 20 gallons of milk! It will take a huge fire ball on the freeway to put this to a halt. The gas prices here are artificially high because the Canadians are willing to pay whatever as long as it is cheaper than what they would pay at home. It would seem that with all the free stuff they get from their government, they would want to spend at home to support their free medical.
Don: I checked my pay check and I still pay for my provincial medical plan and I pay for my Blue cross supplemental medical insurance.....thats a bit of a myth that Canadians don't pay for their medical......I guess Canadians are sharp shoppers and look for the best bargain.....the joke of it is Don is that the gas being bought across the border probably came from Northern Alberta......Don..did you know that the US gets more imported oil from Canada then it does from Saudi Arabia.....incredible when you think of it...isnt it...you have a nice day......
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #37

Triple E Owners Club
The world is full of NIMBY's and Got Miners. You cannot stop change so if you do not like it - MOVE. I know, life ain't fair but get over it just like our kids had to.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:22 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Here in northwest Montana, we have lots of shoppers from Canada, mostly from Alberta. In this economy the merchants welcome folks from Canada with open arms, and their purchases are much appreciated. No over crowding at Costco here, and no complaint from me even if it were. Canadian dollars spent with local merchants greatly helps our local economy in these lean times. Welcome and bring money, lots of it!
Ditto well put
Old 08-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
I suspect the problem is not the Canadians but Costco's decision to not hire enuf help! Maybe it will balance out some as I and another couple will be crossing the border soon and will stay in Canada for at least a month spending money and enjoying the hospitality of Canadas citizens as we have in the past!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Somehow at our Costco in CA, when the parking lot is the fullest, the lines at the checkout are good....sometimes when the lots are open, the checkout line is long...go figure...
Old 08-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Our neighbors from the north, come south and spend money and our neighbors from the south, come north and are given money. Sounds like a trade imbalance to me.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #42

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm sure the trade imbalance with Canada is evened out if a small percentage of US citizens actually buy from all the Canadian Pharmacy spam I get all the time!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote