Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Costco Overcrowding

Just happened on this story on the net. My fellow Washingtonian's in Bellingham were apparently miffed that Canadians are overcrowding their local Costco store that they have a hard time shopping. Someone even proposed reserving a day at Costco specifically for Americans (from Bellingham).

I don't know if it's a big deal (if I'm from there, I don't think I would mind) but they (B residents) should be happy that their city's tax base would increase with all those Canadian neighbors shopping. If this is really a problem and Costco has the revenues to show that their store is over-crowded, it might be prudent for them to build another store.

On an aside, I've inquired (sent them an email) from Costco why they did not build a store in Yuma.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some folks complain when you offer them a free lunch don't you know.

Some folks.. Well there is a line from a TV show (Davy Crokett or Daniel Boon as memory serves, but it is an OLD memory)

"He'd complain if you hung him with a new rope"

I got to admit, I'd complain if you hung me too.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Before or after they hung you?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom View Post
(B residents) should be happy that their city's tax base would increase with all those Canadian neighbors shopping.
How does that work? In our part of the country, city taxes are based on appraised value of real estate.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan

How does that work? In our part of the country, city taxes are based on appraised value of real estate.
City sales tax.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #6

sales taxes dude.

Part of the explosion of retail ini this country is because residents have moved to limit property tax in so many places, that the municipalities seek to get their revenue back with sales taxes.

Out here there's a COSTCO/Wal-Mart/Lowes/Home Depot/Target/Staples/Petco/Kohls complex every 10 miles.....

Got beat while typing....
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
When the Canadian dollar was low like 60c American, it was the other way around. The Costco store in Abbottsford BC was full of Washington cars. I don't remember any whinning from either side of the border then.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Canadians visiting Bellingham don't usually just shop at Costco; they also frequent restaurants, gas stations, hotels, and many other stores. Don't they realize this has a POSITIVE impact on the local economy? Something wrong with their reasoning !
And, how do they know "all those shoppers" are Canadians, anyhow.... eh?
Jagtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here in northwest Montana, we have lots of shoppers from Canada, mostly from Alberta. In this economy the merchants welcome folks from Canada with open arms, and their purchases are much appreciated. No over crowding at Costco here, and no complaint from me even if it were. Canadian dollars spent with local merchants greatly helps our local economy in these lean times. Welcome and bring money, lots of it!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
...Some folks.. Well there is a line from a TV show (Davy Crokett or Daniel Boon as memory serves, but it is an OLD memory)

The line is actually, "He'd kick if hung with a new rope."
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just thanks the forlks from north of the border for helping dump more money in the city funds for all of the sales tax.

And do you want to bet if they could save money by shopping over the border, they would be lined up in Canada?

Sounds like a bunch of cry-babies to me.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Here in northwest Montana, we have lots of shoppers from Canada, mostly from Alberta. In this economy the merchants welcome folks from Canada with open arms, and their purchases are much appreciated. No over crowding at Costco here, and no complaint from me even if it were. Canadian dollars spent with local merchants greatly helps our local economy in these lean times. Welcome and bring money, lots of it!
The Costco in Kelowna IS definately overcrowded!

Many a time I have left my shopping cart full because I didn't want to stand in one of 20 lines with 15 people in each one.

And sample tasting.....you need to wait two rounds to get a bite. Tough to get full on a free meal that way LOL.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #13

Bunch o' whiners. I've got a daughter like that. If I gave her a million dollars in $1 bills, she'd complain.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #14

I'm here to tell you that place is a ZOO!! Shopped there a few times and gave up. Some of the RUDEST people I have ever seen. Eas Indians or Canaisans will run their cart over you to get to where they want to go. My wife carrys an O2 tank and its obvious she not healthy. Don't matter to them. We would drive 40 miles south to Burlington, Much SAINER there. Let me say I'm NOT a Bigot, I just hate rude people no matter where their from! They do pump alot into the economy though, and are welcomed with open arms by buisnes.
fishseeker is offline   Reply With Quote