Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Another consideration rather then the usual solid surfaces is porcelain or ceramic tile. You can find it in all sorts of dimensions and it gives you a pretty good, mostly unscratchable counter top. We just had our S&B kitchen done that way with some porcelain tile and it is very nice.

As far as using the top of the existing counter as a base - only if it's plywood, not MDF. And the support structure - while most trailer have pretty light duty counters to save weight, the worst part is that they are stapled, maybe, hot melt glued together. They can usually be fairly easily reinforced but unless you can do some of the work yourself, can get real expensive very quickly.
Thanks. It may be glued but I'm see screws also. I was hoping to find someone who was good and reasonably priced in South Florida. Or somebody who did this recently.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2016, 08:31 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quality work , reasonable , fast job....... pick one

Old 02-07-2016, 08:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by phranc View Post
Quality work , reasonable , fast job....... pick one
Quality work
Old 02-14-2016, 08:33 AM   #18

I remodeled 1991 Bounder last summer. One of the things I did (I gutted the whole thing out, and replaced EVERYTHING) was the counter top. It had the old style gray Formica top, and wife wanted Corian.

After I unbolted the faucets, disconnected double sink, and disconnected propane to the stove, I removed ALL drawers, stuck my head in there with the flashlight, to find all the screws. Took them out, removed the stove, and the countertop just lifted off the cabinets.

At first I tried to find the suitable piece in the local Home Depot, Lowe's, and such (no dice, all too big). I am not equipped to cut long straight lines on Corian (was planning to cut the opening for the stove and sink with the router, because the cuts are covered with the lip (not visible).

After failing to find the piece, I started dialing/googleing local countertop guys. Fund one in the next city over, and took my removed top with me. Gave it to him, and told him to make me one EXACTLY like that, but out of Corian. He finished in one week time (working on his schedule as it was). The actual cutting took less than an hour. Labor and material was $400.

All the holes (for faucets and sinks), and the opening for the stove were exactly the same as they were on the old piece, so installation was a breeze. Money well spent.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:24 AM   #19

Countertop replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsand View Post
I remodeled 1991 Bounder last summer. One of the things I did (I gutted the whole thing out, and replaced EVERYTHING) was the counter top. It had the old style gray Formica top, and wife wanted Corian.

After I unbolted the faucets, disconnected double sink, and disconnected propane to the stove, I removed ALL drawers, stuck my head in there with the flashlight, to find all the screws. Took them out, removed the stove, and the countertop just lifted off the cabinets.

At first I tried to find the suitable piece in the local Home Depot, Lowe's, and such (no dice, all too big). I am not equipped to cut long straight lines on Corian (was planning to cut the opening for the stove and sink with the router, because the cuts are covered with the lip (not visible).

After failing to find the piece, I started dialing/googleing local countertop guys. Fund one in the next city over, and took my removed top with me. Gave it to him, and told him to make me one EXACTLY like that, but out of Corian. He finished in one week time (working on his schedule as it was). The actual cutting took less than an hour. Labor and material was $400.

All the holes (for faucets and sinks), and the opening for the stove were exactly the same as they were on the old piece, so installation was a breeze. Money well spent.
Thank you for sharing your experience .I just found a guy who does this type of work. Now just waiting for material to arrive.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky1 View Post
Thanks. It may be glued but I'm see screws also. I was hoping to find someone who was good and reasonably priced in South Florida. Or somebody who did this recently.
Thank you.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #21

Countertop is all done. Found local craftsman who did the job. On time, extremely neat, professional ,who replaced our old one with a beautiful new one with a very reasonable price.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
pictures
Old 02-23-2016, 08:03 PM   #23

I redid the bathroom countertop in my home. It was a small, odd sized counter and I wanted the grain of the Corian pattern to go in one direction and the edges to match. I even got a sample of the Corian from DuPont to make sure that the color and pattern were right. Yeah, I was fussy about it--I'll just say that I sat staring at that counter for long periods of time.

Anyway, I found a Corian certified fabricator on their web site. They now list Home Depot along with their other fabricators, but I just didn't trust Home Depot to do it properly. Here's the link:
http://www.dupont.com/products-and-s...r-locator.html

One thing I've always wanted in an RV countertop is what's known as a "Marine Edge" or "No Drip Edge." It's a small lip on the edge of the counter to prevent things from spilling. They were originally designed for boats and also can be made out of Corian or similar material. They can be made to go around any shape. Most importantly, they can prevent a glass of spilled milk from turning into Niagra Falls in your RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marine Edge Countertop.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	119733  
Old 03-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky1 View Post
I want to replace my lamanite top with a solid one. It has a angled sink and the countertop wraps around the stove. Would that be a problem? Where do you live?
Sorry I did not respond earlier. Glad you got it done. I found the corian at a local Habitat store, I think it was $50. I cut it with a circular saw and a fine tooth blade. The hole for the sink I used some big hole saws and small cuts with the circular saw. Sanding rough edges was easy with wet/dry paper. I glued the new counter on top of the old one rather than remove it and restructure with plywood. My only regret is that I did not raise the top another 1/2 " to make the stove cover flush. I had some leftover material so I used it in the front and bathroom. If you can work with wood, corian is similar, do not be afraid. There are some toxic concerns with the product so wear a protective mask. As long as you can find the color you like and the piece is big enough, I would not hesitate to attempt it in any configuration. I apologize if I mislead you.

mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
Sorry I did not respond earlier. Glad you got it done. I found the corian at a local Habitat store, I think it was $50. I cut it with a circular saw and a fine tooth blade. The hole for the sink I used some big hole saws and small cuts with the circular saw. Sanding rough edges was easy with wet/dry paper. I glued the new counter on top of the old one rather than remove it and restructure with plywood. My only regret is that I did not raise the top another 1/2 " to make the stove cover flush. I had some leftover material so I used it in the front and bathroom. If you can work with wood, corian is similar, do not be afraid. There are some toxic concerns with the product so wear a protective mask. As long as you can find the color you like and the piece is big enough, I would not hesitate to attempt it in any configuration. I apologize if I mislead you.

Thank you. I found a guy literally 300 feet away from where l'm parked to do the job. He removed the old particle board based top and replaced with 3/4" plywood. I found the exact lamanite at Home Depot. The sink on the original top was mounted under the top. I was able to mount it on top because that was what it originally made to do. I didn't go solid surface because I'll be upgrading to a newer rv in a couple of years and the extra expense didn't make sense.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement