Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
CPNI

CPNI is Verizon's acronym for Customer Proprietary Network Information. I got a CPNI notice with my first monthly bill. I decided to read what I thought was another ubiquitous privacy notice.

What is CPNI? Here's the quote from their notice: "This information includes: services purchased (including specific calls you make and receive), related local and toll billing information and the type, destination, technical configuration, location and amount of use of purchased services." That's getting a little up close and personal in my opinion.

What they want to do is to share this information with their "...affiliates and agents in order to develop better products and services..."

What I consider the really sneaky part is that the first page of the brochure says that Verizon Wireless "needs your permission to share your CPNI". But on page 2 they disclose that "unless you provide us with notice that you wish to opt out within 45 days of receiving this letter, we will assume that you give us the right to share your CPNI..."

So, if you just skim the first page and toss it, you might miss the fact that you have to take action to avoid having your personal telecommunications activity shared by Verizon's corporate partners. I expect that is their intent.

I was annoyed enough to immediately get online and opt out. Watch your bill inserts carefully. You never know what our telecommunication providers will try to slip by us next.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
CPNI is Verizon's acronym for Customer Proprietary Network Information. I got a CPNI notice with my first monthly bill. I decided to read what I thought was another ubiquitous privacy notice.

What is CPNI? Here's the quote from their notice: "This information includes: services purchased (including specific calls you make and receive), related local and toll billing information and the type, destination, technical configuration, location and amount of use of purchased services." That's getting a little up close and personal in my opinion.

What they want to do is to share this information with their "...affiliates and agents in order to develop better products and services..."

What I consider the really sneaky part is that the first page of the brochure says that Verizon Wireless "needs your permission to share your CPNI". But on page 2 they disclose that "unless you provide us with notice that you wish to opt out within 45 days of receiving this letter, we will assume that you give us the right to share your CPNI..."

So, if you just skim the first page and toss it, you might miss the fact that you have to take action to avoid having your personal telecommunications activity shared by Verizon's corporate partners. I expect that is their intent.

I was annoyed enough to immediately get online and opt out. Watch your bill inserts carefully. You never know what our telecommunication providers will try to slip by us next.
It's funny how they always give the excuse that they want to develop better products and services when they want to give up your personal information. Makes you wonder how they got this far.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can thank out ultra sharp ( and on the take) congressmen for this practice. A few years back a bill as passed allowing companies to "share" information they accumulate. In their great wisdom, they decided (with stuffed pockets) that they would protect the public and have a notice to Opt-Out, thus giving you the choice to not have your data shared.

Burns my you know what that I have to Opt Out when it should have been set up that we Opt IN to have the info shared.

More concern from your concerned legislators...they sell out for the right $$$$.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #4

Their disclaimer notwithstanding, do that to me and they'll be in a Civil Suit faster than they can spell Verizon.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote