Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Crazy Problem with Grey Water Tank

This is opposite to everyone else's holding tank problem. My grey water tank still reads full even though I just dumped both holding tanks. Normally it's the black water tank that gives false readings.

So what's the problem here and how do I circumvent it? TIA

I did find that the tower of doom in the black tank can be removed with a judicious application of ice cubes, cold water and quick sharp turn driving.

Help!
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
This is opposite to everyone else's holding tank problem. My grey water tank still reads full even though I just dumped both holding tanks. Normally it's the black water tank that gives false readings.

So what's the problem here and how do I circumvent it? TIA

I did find that the tower of doom in the black tank can be removed with a judicious application of ice cubes, cold water and quick sharp turn driving.

Help!
Congrats on clearing the black pyramid. If your grey tank uses electro conductive sensors to read the level, even the grey tank can have something coating the probes - causing current to flow. Use the Geo Method to clean the tank and sensors.
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

The other source of this kind of problem would be in the panel...much more work to fix, so I would start with the Calgon Mixture
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:39 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I thank you for the link. I will be adding the concoction to the tanks tomorrow and we'll see what happens.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
while various concoctions will fix the factory sensors for awhile, only a seelevel 709 system will fix them forever.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
Never had one that gave true readings after being in service and filled a few times. I have used a lot of hot water and laundry detergent after dumping and then driving home or to the next destination. Works most of the time, but no guarantee.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
while various concoctions will fix the factory sensors for awhile, only a seelevel 709 system will fix them forever.
I just may have to go that route again. I installed a seelevel system in our 24 foot C Class and it is still working.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Are you talking about replacing the level check system?
SeeLeveL RV Gauges by Garnet Technologies Inc.

I'll stay with the soapy mixtures until the system is completely unreliable
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:22 AM   #8

My black tank was always showing 2/3 full. I removed the lead at the tank and it still read 2/3 full. That told me the circuit board behind that black panel is where the problem was. It turned out that one of the four 14 pin Quad Comparator ICs on the circuit board was bad. I have know idea where or why I got it, but I had one in my spare IC bin. I have experience in electronic test equipment repair and calibration and knew how to replace it. It was a long shot, but fixed it. If you don't feel comfortable working with electronic, you can buy a replacement board. It should have a brand and model number someplace on it. I had to replace the one in my 5er, but don't remember how much it cost. All receipts went with it.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088

Are you talking about replacing the level check system?
SeeLeveL RV Gauges by Garnet Technologies Inc.

I'll stay with the soapy mixtures until the system is completely unreliable
I absolutely am.

It's easy. U can use the existing wires. The panel is just slightly bigger than most factory panels, so u can use the existing holes. Be sure to get a second panel, then u wire first to the display panel in the wetbay, then upstairs. Install is a piece of cake for those of us who are mechanically inclined.
For those who are not, call me, bring the rig to me outside of chicago, and I will fix you up.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #10

Our See Level sensor for the galley tank does not read properly. Have had it replaced once and new one does the same thing. The warranty guys said it had to do with the size of the galley tank, 32 gallons. We just live with it.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:39 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
That's the best long term solution. Not the least expensive short term solution. A bottle of Pine Power or Pine Sol in the tank with about 1/2 tank of water, drive around awhile, the turns the better, then dump the tank. Fill the tank and dump again. That should clean it for quite awhle.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water