Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #1

Crazy weather in New Jersey

Here in New Jersey we are having really bad weather, really strong winds and a lot of flooding, I hope everyone out there is safe and that your Rv or other toys that you might have are safe as well, not only New Jersey but All the states that are being affected, hopefully we will get true it all safe and with out any major loses. Please be safe out there. Joe
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Yes it is blowing like crazy out there. But so far the highest gust has been ONLY 38 MPH.

We're on top of a hill but in a little dip so hopefully the house will be protected. We do have some BIG trees around us. One fell this afternoon but only fell on the septic system.

Be safe!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #3

Wrong topic, sorry.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
In NOVA. My insurance is a generator. Hope I don't have to use it.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wind & rain starting to pick up here in Harrisburg, PA. Put the coach to bed yesterday afternoon.

Whole house generator is outside waiting to work it's magic.

ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It was just on the news that Houston's Center Point Power Company had 60 crews leave today with trucks and equipment to head toward the NE to help with the power problems. With the hurricanes, wind, rain and tornadoes they have lots of experience fixing down power grids and such.

Stay safe folks and do not take the weather as a joke.

Mother Nature can be a B----.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #7

It is really bad I'm glued to the tv watching Chanel 7 and its crazy how much demage is out there, be safe everyone. Joe
Old 10-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Survived the storm last night. We lost one tree over our septic and three pines at our front entrance. Yard looks like a bomb hit with all the debris.

Tried to drive out of my neighborhood at 7:15 this morning but all three roads were blocked by downed trees. Luckily, I had my chainsaw in my truck so I cut my way out on one of the roads.

Made it to my farm which is about 3 miles away but with the downed trees, it was more like 10 miles. Barn and rental house were fine. One huge Sycamore came down but in the woods. Two other large pines came down. No flooding in western NJ as it rained less than an inch. Max wind gust I measured was 41 MPH but we in a protected ravine.

No power but have a whole house generator that gives us all the power we need. Cable internet access is down but hooked up via my cell phone.

Son and I spent a few hours this morning driving around and cutting trees to clear some of the local roads.

All in all we were spared. Remember those who were not so lucky in your prayers!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #9

I did a search for generators which led me to this thread, hope y'all don't mind my asking my question here since it was THIS storm that has me looking into this.

I wanted to know how easy or difficult it would be to back feed my home with my coach genny???

A friend of the family is doing exactly that for the past few days using his Prevost genny to feed his home, he wasn't home when I drove by so I wasn't able to ask him that question and quite frankly, his reply would probably be as aggravating as, "Oh not really familiar with other coaches but on the 'Prevost', it's simply plug n play".....

I reside in NNJ and drove around yesterday to survey the damage, in my travels I actually saw a few folks powering their home with the RV genny so it's gotta be easy, no?

I almost purchased a Honda EU3000 generator but then remembered I have 7.5kW sitting right beside my garage so why waste $2000 on something that'll barely use!

Thanks in advanced!
Old 11-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #10

Most Important before hooking Any generator to your house is make sure the house is disconnected from the main line coming from the street !! You don't want to hurt workers somewhere else by back feeding the electric grid !!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #11

Disconnect the main and then find the breaker for the Ac that is 220volt and disconnect the wires and run a extension cord a 30 amp extension and put the black to the beaker and the white and the ground both to ground and then with small piece of wire jump the two breakers (so you can have 110 on the two breakers). But if you don't know what you are doing pay someone to do it before you do something wrong. Good luck
Old 11-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #12

First, I feel for all the people going through this because I know what it's like. Hurricane Charlie blew down my house in 2004. I also notice that the RVers are prepared unlike the general population.

Last night I saw on the news all the fighting going on at the gas pumps and food stores and wondered "They had a week to get ready" Why didn't they buy extra gas, food and supplies?

Here in Fl we get prepared well before the storm hits. We stock up on 3 - 4 weeks worth of supplies. I just can't believe some people who had a week to get ready and are out of food, gas, batteries and propane just a few days after the storm. It's going to be a LONG week or two for them. Can they really be that stupid?
Old 11-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
Can they really be that stupid?
In short, yes.

Thanks for the caution and replies gentlemen but I don't think I articulated my question well enough.

Let me ask this cuz I don't have my coach parked here at home so I can't just go and test things with my meter. When the generator is fired up, from what source can I get that 30A or 50A power to my home?

I'm not certain if it powers up the shore line outlet/plug or not and/or if there's a way to do so if not???

I was an electrician before I got into my current trade so I am well versed in the house-wiring and the precautions that come with it. And I completely agree with Monkey regarding making certain that the Main Breaker is switched OFF....that is key!