Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #15

It's more prevalent than being struck by lightening, and for sure winning a lotto - it could happen to anyone at anytime...

I hate the way it's sometimes called a Victim Less Crime - as we all pay for it...

We have the following processes in place:
> One Credit Card used for all online transactions
> One Credit Card used for all fuel purchases, with the 5% rewards (PenFed)
> One Costco American Express -Ued for all other purchases and dining out (% back again being the reason)
> We 2 Credit Cards with the same account. One left at home, the other stashed in the RV. These are our emergency Credit Cards if compromised on the road.
> We monitor accounts on a weekly basis, or if either of us 'get's a feeling' about a place, we check then.
> We call and tell the companies of our rough travel area by State and months
> With exception of when dining, we never let our cards out of our sight
> If required to go in and pay for fuel (see attendant sometimes pop up's for unexplained reasons). I over estimate the amount of fuel I think we'll need, and charge that while at the counter. I do go in and get a receipt, if not able to at the pump. And I do validate the credit difference has taken place
> We keep a cushion of funds stashed for emergency, in both the home and RV

We have not been hit. Our daughter has, same bank, and they handled it very well for her. But, the person got away with a few thousand items. Even delivered to a home address, and the police were not interested in going and knocking on the door. (Their rationale was the person getting the package, can claim it was sent to them as a gift, and so they would not be able to arrest them.

Even though we have not been hit, we understand it is pure luck of the draw...

Best to all,
Smitty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
I have had this happen to me several times in my life, taken care of each time, never had to pay for anything I never received. How can the OP and others for sure call this "theft" when this type of charge pops up on their statement? How do you know someone did not hit one wrong number when manually entering a customers number? Maybe just a "computer glitz" during the transaction process? I do not jump to the conclusion every time that it is credit card theif........maybe just a simple mistake in or with the system......the only bummer is when they want to shut your card down, it takes 3-5 days to receive your new one.......till then, the #2 back up credit card is used.........no big cash in pockets for us everyday........plastic for everything and I mean everything we buy, even if its $1.00, and pay the bill when it comes. What works for one just not work for others.......

Old 03-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My card has been " compromised " at least three times over the years. There's never been any charges. The Bank had a heads up and took proactive action. This was as mentioned above to protect themselves which is fine with me.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Great choice of words....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
My card has been " compromised " at least three times over the years. There's never been any charges. The Bank had a heads up and took proactive action. This was as mentioned above to protect themselves which is fine with me.
I like that word for use in this thread Cliff......." Compromised "
Old 03-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
palehorse89: Sorry, don't agree it was a computer glitch or miss typed card number. To me it's theft and I'm positive if I hadn't alerted the bank more charges would have hit the account. Besides if the vender runs the card number they entered incorrectly when the charge occurs they would see that the name wouldn't match the name of the buyer.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
I have one of those wallets that have shields in them to prevent the skimmers who read cards with a machine as they pass you. Husband's wallet is the same. We never let our card out of our sight except at restaurants where the wait staff take your card. We use one card with a second card locked away in the coach for emergencies. I have alerts set up with all three of our credit cards to notify me of any charge over $200. I check our cards online daily. I notify the card companies when we are traveling of the States we will be passing though. I keep a log of charges as we travel in our journal. I have done everything I can think of to prevent a problem yet I know that it can happen at any time especially when you read the news about things like Target. Best prevention is awareness and to be proactive. Watch your accounts!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I've had my card number (not the card) stolen and used several times over the years. BOA caught the charges each time and called me to check. One time someone was ordering Pizza delivery in Chicago (I have never been to Chicago). I thought, DELIVERY? How stupid, they are bound to get caught since the Pizza place had their home address. BOA didn't seem to care about the charges. They corrected the charges and sent me a new card each time. They view it as the cost of doing business.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
We bank with USAA. They have a very sophisticated surveillance system monitoring all credit card charges. Typically, credit card cretins will charge a very small amount to see if a card works before running up the big charges. That has happened to us three times in about 10 years, and USAA has nailed it immediately. They send us an email/text asking if the charges are legitimate. An email/text back to them, and the card is suspended. We've never lost a penny, thanks to their efficiency. We have a secondary card for use in situations such as this when our compromised card is suspended. USAA sends new cards overnight to replace them.

The real pain is having to go back to all the businesses we use and change the card numbers, especially the utility companies where we have an automatic payment set up.

It pays to monitor your accounts frequently...we do it daily, quickly and easily, with USAA's secure smartphone app.

Great advice, also gas stations are likely the worst spots for skimmers.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
The real pain is having to go back to all the businesses we use and change the card numbers, especially the utility companies where we have an automatic payment set up.
They just found a lady that had been dead about 6 yrs. She was found in her garage in her car with her keys half out of the ignition. No one knew there was a problem because all her bills were on auto pay and they kept getting paid till the account ran out of money. One of neighbors even kept mowing her lawn.

Michigan woman dead for six years found only after money runs out
Old 03-12-2014, 11:19 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Well, Thom woke up this morning with a text from the credit union about possible fraud charges. Over $700 over nite at Walmart.com and over $100 at Hotels.com plus a $1 charge to PeopleFinder.com and a .48 charge to something else .... yep somehow the number had been taken and used while sleeping. Card closed and new one on the way. Apparently it will take 3-5 calendar days to put the money back and they are taking care of letting those places know that the card used was wrong and will not be paying them. We have been trying to figure out where the number was taken and the last time Thom used it was getting gas for the bike early Tuesday morning. It wouldn't be the first time the number was taken being swiped at the pump while getting gas ...

Keep an eye on your accounts for you never know when.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #25

Everyone thinks that it was a recent transaction that compromised the card number. However, from what I learned the credit card number could have been hacked hours, days or weeks ago. These numbers, from what my credit union told me, are sold and then bundled and resold on the internet. By doing this the thief can remain anonymous and will probably never be caught. The new thief who purchases the numbers will make a small test purchase, and if successful will probably resell the number as a good number to another thief and make a profit.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
This is where I am always a little perplexed. In my neck of the woods, you don't sign for your CC purchases much anymore. In most cases, you have to enter a pin number at the machine itself. 1. the card never leaves your sight. 2. The lack of a PIN number often slows or stops thieves from just going to stores right left and center after the theft and purchasing all sorts of stuff. Online purchases are still vulnerable but those take time and often require someplace to deliver the ill gotten booty. Soon as I head south of the border, it seems none of the retailers have the updated machines and are still requiring a signature without any other kind of security. Why is that? If someone knows the answer, I would be most interested.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #27

Exclamation

I have had credit card problems twice, where-in the CC number was used for illicit purchases.
First time I had a small amount card from First Premier Bank - BIG MISTAKE. Don't ever use them, they are crooks! I noticed several odd tranasctions, small amounts of less than fifty dollars taken out and put back in by person unknown - certainly not me! I asked the company to look into this. Then there was a larger amount charged, a purchase made in a New York City premium luggage company I have never dealt with. I complained to the FPB. Very unsatisfactory. I decided to cancel this card. It was the type in which the customer must 'load' the card with his own money to use - NOT using the bank's money. I had a $350 limit on the card. The bamk forced me to pay the full amount, over $750, before they would allow a cancellation - they essentially STOLE that amount from me. Someone in a foreign nation, according to the investigation, had used my number. I firmly believe someone at the bank - First Premier bank - was complicit in this theft. I ate the amount, and cancelled them.

I finally went with Capital One (Mastercard) and began using online accounting to keep a closer eye on it. I limited the account to $1250 - an amount I can easily pay off each month or two.
Had the number stolen once (not the physical card), and the thief racked up charges. Cap One was great. They cancelled the account when I entered a CC Fraud alert, and it took a week to get the new card. I lost no money. Haven't had trouble since. A couple times they increased my credit limit as a 'reward', but I immediately notified them to return the account to the lower level. I like it that way.
I suspect that the earlier CC number was stolen as a result of a Paypal transaction - I no longer use PP.
Later another attempt was made on the cancelled CC number via Paypal - it was refused as that card had been cancelled.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:49 AM   #28

Just last night, I logged into my Amex account and saw a $199 transaction for DropCam.COM. I immediately called Amex and advised it as fraudulent. I then set a text alert for ANY transaction over $50.
I don't use this card much. The card was still in my wallet and had not been used by me for at least 2 months.

Last year, one evening, I received a phone call from Amazon, enquiring about a 'suspicious' transaction. I immediately logged into my Regions account and had been all but cleaned out. Five or six big ticket items totalling over $2,000 with different online stores. I cancelled the cards and began calling the stores to cancel the transactions.
One of the stores told me the ship to name and address. It was somebody in the next subdivision. She had even used her real name
I called the local police and they went to her home. Her explanation was that she was making the purchases on behalf of someone else (in Kenya).
The police called back a couple of days later and said they had received a secondary complaint from the person in Kenya that the woman was not forwarding the goods on to him as agreed... WTH!!!!
I requested to be notified of any developments in the case. So far.... Nothing.

I later discovered it was my wife's debit card which had been compromised and the only thing she could think of was a local fast-food outlet where she had handed the card over but said she watched them swipe the card and hand it back.

All of those charges were negated or refunded so I never lost anything other than a few hours of my time.

i agree that they should be using micro-chips. The problem is that the retailers are against it due to the cost of upgrading all of their equipment.

Europe has been using chipped cards for years.

chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote