Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Credit Cards

Just a word of warning for my fellow RV'ers, yesterday my wifr checked our credit card charges online, and we had a charge involving British pounds, exchange to Canadian dollars, and facebook.com. There was a $30 charge applied to my card on Saturday, reversed on Monday, and another charge applied to the same vendor for about $300, and reversed yesterday. I phoned the card company, told them that something was going on, they checked into it. Apparently, somehow my card number was breached, and somebody was attempting to use my credit to play Texas Hold'Em online. The card company reversed the exchange charges, and we cancelled my card. Had it not been for my wife checking so diligently, it may have been much worse, and the bad guys may have benefited greatly. Just a word to everybody to keep a close eye. This was the first such incident that I have been a victim of since having credit (20+) years. Just be careful. I'm just glad we stopped it. Christians - one, Lions - nothing.

avalancheMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
I recommend checking online daily. We've had two cards compromised in the past 18 months.

2014 Entegra Cornerstone 45K, Spartan K3 Chassis,
Cummins ISX 600HP, Allison 4000

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Besides the fact that I'm not held responsible for charges like that , I have emails sent to me automatically for any amount charged to my card. Frequently when paying for something by phone , the email arrives before I hang up. You may have this service available to you by you're bank. It works well for us.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Excel Owners Club
We use both of the above methods. We have auto email notice sent to us for anything over $100--and then take a quick look on-line daily or at least every other day. We have caught a couple of issues over the years, but the nice thing about the credit cards vs most debit cards is that you are essentially held harmless with the CC.
2014 F350 Dually Lariat 4x4
Sir Reginald the Cat who lets Big Mike and Jean travel with him.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by bigmichael View Post
We have caught a couple of issues over the years, but the nice thing about the credit cards vs most debit cards is that you are essentially held harmless with the CC.
Agree that CC is the only way to go when on the road. I never pull my debit card out unless I am inside a bank and need to scan it for my transaction.

There are many CC's out there that have fraud protection with zero co-pay, others are usually $50 but if you catch in time the banks will not charge you anything. I think they are just happy if the customer doesn't let the charges run rampant before it is reported.
'98 Gulf Stream Sunsport 325, 7.5L Banks Power Pack, Koni FSD's, Air Bags, ReadyBrute Elite,
2000 Honda Accord

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of my troopers, back when I was a police dispatcher, got a call from her bank, "We think someting strange is going on, Did you order some stuff from _____(name of store)__?

She had not.

When UPS delivered, the female UPS person got the signature of her mark, then informed him that brown was not really her color.... ... It was blue.

And off they went to jail.. She, went home after, he stuck around.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
About 2 months ago I received a call from VISA Fraud Prevention unit. "Did you just authorize a purchase from XYZ store about 30 minutes ago using a credit card ending in ####"? Wife was out shopping and I told the caller to call me back in 10 minutes. A quick call to my wife confirmed no purchases were charged today at all. The VISA Fraud Prevention called back and when I offered the comment that no purchases were charged at all the caller said to contact my credit union immediately, and she then told me the card was frozen.

Long story short, it seems the fraud prevention unit tracks all charges made and if the computer sees a charge that is out of the normal for our charging habits it alerts an agent to immediately call and confirm. It took 3 business days for the new card to arrive, but a lot longer than that to change all of auto bill accounts!
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My credit union told us about another fraud going on based on this type of deal. The fraud is not the charges it's the company calling you saying they are from the fraud department and you have a new charge in some other state. By then folks are rushing to get out their card to verify. The credit union said they couldn't believe how many folks are being scammed this way. They said don't verify any information unless YOU called the company and you also need to ask your CC company to write in a verification word on your account. That way you ask them for the verification word before you give any info.
Ron & Wendy-Kansas
94 Pace Arrow 34 ft
25 yr Army retired 2006
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Credit cards are not the only charges to watch . Our Sprint cell phone account was hacked and the 16 yr old had charged $2,500 in Iphones and I pads and had them sent UPS. Now here is how he got caught, he was having them sent to a strangers address with MY name on them and then going to the strangers door and asking if perhaps HIS package was sent to the wrong address, of course givijng all the correct information the unsuspecting person would turn over the package and the little thief would be on his way. However he selected the wrong person to have it sent to and it was a retired Michigan State Trooper and he called over ann officer and when the kid showed up ......... he was arrested. It still took me three months to work through Sprint Fraud Division to have the account cleared.
BY the way Sprint prosecuted this person as he had been doing this since he was 14 and had stolen over $25,000 in merchandise.
So check all your accounts not just the banks !
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I track all my banking through Quicken. I check it every day with a click of the mouse. I also do get Emails under certain conditions but my daily check (2-3 minutes tops) is my first line of defense.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
...It took 3 business days for the new card to arrive, but a lot longer than that to change all of auto bill accounts!

I use a different card that never leaves my home for my autopay accounts. It has never been compromised.

LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote