Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2014, 09:12 PM   #15

Last year when we travelled to AK on both sides of the border they asked about fresh fruit if frozen or cooked they don't seem to care.
Milt

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2014, 10:10 PM   #16

Hello you just do that we have nice jails here in Canada. You can't carry a small firearm gun in Canada with or with a permit.The rest is up to you.Consider yourself pewarned.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:21 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
You can ship your revolver (?) by FedEx or UPS to an address in Alaska and pick it up there. You can reverse the process to send the weapon back.

In Canada hand guns are only allowed with restricted conditions and are not allowed to be transported other than from you home to a firing range or home to a competition.

I seem to recall a thread that referred to being allowed to carry a competition weapon through if you were going to a competition. It sound logical but I would check carefully if you were planning on trying to take one through under those pretenses. Will likely require lots of paper to take it through but best check the regulations if indeed there is that possibility.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:54 PM   #18

Ah, I'm retired after 20 years at UPS and we DO NOT SHIP HAND GUNS, except from Dealer (FFL) holder to another Dealer (FFL) holder. However, we do ship Long Guns. Just saying.

Dennis (Retired USAF & UPS) & Linda (Retired UPS)
2014 Winnebago Journey 34B and homes in Anchorage AK & Bullhead City AZ
Old 07-14-2014, 06:26 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Don't joke with them, don't even try. Don't even mention that nasty 4 letter word going into or out of Canada or the US. That 4 letter word is W O R K. It's a very nasty word at the crossings and you will get extra questions and / or problems. If by any chance you are going into Canada for some work just say that are doing some supervising to verify the site. That's what Thom had to do when he some job sites that took him into various sites in Canada.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #20

What about breaking the gun down in two or three pieces and shipping them separately to Alaska?
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
What about breaking the gun down in two or three pieces and shipping them separately to Alaska?
Most likely you will get 2 of the three pieces and a lot of grief. Only one part of the gun is serialized and controlled. The rest is parts and can be sold and shipped. The anthrax scare and 9-11 incidents triggered much higher levels of automated package inspection. Your chances of getting caught are high. If you really have to have the gun up there then the best thing to do is get a local dealer to ship it to a dealer up there. No idea what the law is there in terms of you carrying on your MO license. In NY you would go to jail.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #22

Alaska does honor Missouri conceal carry and also many other states. Believe I will have a dealer ship it to Alaska and pick it up there as was suggested. Thanks to all for your help.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't wear your NRA hat, and remove the stickers from RV & Toad!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
All in all I find the border to be very similar going both ways. Both sides seem to have a standard bunch of questions. A lot of them are the same - how much cash, any guns, tobacco, liquor? They just ask them at different times.

Most of the time the agents are very good to get along with. Listen to the question and give the briefest answer, dont elaborate. I dont think they appreciate the information and will look to your answer for more questions.

Both sides are doing their job. I expect the managers will give them direction in areas of concern but they are able to question anything they find interesting.

Of particular concern is the agents power to exclude anyone for any reason they determine using their guidelines. My understanding is if they exclude you it cannot be appealed and overturned.

I had an issue with an agent once who said I had stayed too long. It came down to an error in the computer system. Fortunately I had enough detailed information including crossing dates, credit card records and medical appointments to prove his information incomplete.

The best thing to do if confronted is to remain calm and bring out all of your information to help them.

I have had very few issues in the many years crossing the border and have encountered many pleasant agents who act professionally and competently.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #25

Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
odd question but my RV doesn't restart after it's hot. Will it likely be a problem if I CAN'T shut it down to talk to customs? I guess I could shut it down but it would be an hour or so to cool down before I could restart it.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouchbri25 View Post
odd question but my RV doesn't restart after it's hot. Will it likely be a problem if I CAN'T shut it down to talk to customs? I guess I could shut it down but it would be an hour or so to cool down before I could restart it.
That would be awkward. Make the lineup longer for sure!!
Old 07-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouchbri25 View Post

Get it fixed! No doubt the border guard would call a towing service to remove your vehicle. Line ups are long enough at the border without you adding to it KNOWING the vehicle has problems.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #28
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the NEXUS program: NEXUS | U.S. Customs and Border Protection We enrolled in the program several years ago. When crossing into Canada, or back to the USA, we just look for the NEXUS lane(s) at the border crossing. Our Nexus cards and RFID chipped passports are scanned before we get to the agent, who has our information already displayed. We are then waved through with a "Welcome to Canada" or "Welcome home". An added bonus of the Nexus program is that it automatically qualifies us for TSA Pre Check when travelling by air in the United States, and to use the Global Entry lanes when returning by air from a foreign country.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada