Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2006, 10:09 AM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Can anyone confirm THIS information? A friend sent this link and I can't verify if it's BS (Blarney Sludge). All I get on Google are end of the world, doomsday articles.

Anyone in the oil business know if it's true?

DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2006, 10:09 AM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
Can anyone confirm THIS information? A friend sent this link and I can't verify if it's BS (Blarney Sludge). All I get on Google are end of the world, doomsday articles.

Anyone in the oil business know if it's true?

Old 05-04-2006, 12:17 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
it was on MSN earlier
along with china drilling off cuba in the gulf of mexico

funny now its gone... I saw your article to this morning but its hard to back trace???
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:26 PM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I did a little digging on New tech Spy and they seem to run stories that sprinkle in truth with optimism as well as speculation.

So Cornell may have found oil, and it may show signs of being huge, but until legitimate tests are run, they are being way over optimistic.

Interesting site.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:38 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lets be optimistic and e-mail the Senators and Mayor of LA. to push it they need the money down there and we need the gas to
If we don't China will be on our shores. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:00 PM   #6

The PR people at Cornell U say its a hoax and that their professor says he did not find any such a thing.
I read this yesterday in another forum from the person that called Cornell to verify the news.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:44 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oil well our parties over. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Well well, imagine that.... OIL in the Gulf of Mexico............. HELLOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! YAll are "Johnny come lately's". There area so many rigs already in the gulf now you are never out of sight of them when fishing in the gulf now. Like running an obstacle course when making a long run to your favorite fishing spot.

If I were to show yall my map of existing rigs yall would be amazed.

So now comes one for yall...... If the whole country is so darn dependant the oil that comes out of Louisiana why don't yall all write your elected officials to send some money down here to repair the damage (Coastal Erosion) that has already been done in the name of providing the country with oil????????????

There are MANY places that are open water now that used to be whole communities less than ten years ago......
Old 05-05-2006, 12:47 AM   #9

At least ten years ago Geonex Martel did a study that mapped out the worlds potentially untapped oil supplies based on where existing oil supplies were located. The premis was that if we accurately mapped out the progression of continental drift then we could map out where the matching oil supplies were on the other side of the plate separations. It turned out to be highly accurate however since the company was the victim of a hostile takeover and then dissolved I'm not sure what happened to the data. If memmory serves me correctly there were potential pockets of oil all over that area in the Gulf of Mexico that matched up with those on the adjoining plates. The name of the Phd that was the head of the study was something like Dr. Raoul an Asian Indian gentleman who was a pleasure to work with. I am not sure if he moved back to India after we were shut down.

Regards,

Neil
Old 05-05-2006, 04:23 AM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Hey Don -

I have been watching that documentary on the repairs on the oil rigs in the gulf after the hurricanes and really was amazed at how many rigs where out there. Even more amazing was that over 150 of them where severely damaged and most where sunk completely.

Like you said you are never out of site of one. So I am sure they have the gulf covered.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:46 AM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Must have been a late blooming April Fools Day report.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:08 AM   #12

I lived in Venice, LA at the mouth of the MS river. Yes, there are TONS of rigs out there. Everyone in that whole are is connected to them somehow. DH was a bivocational pastor (meaning he had to work a second job to provide). He worked at a heliport there. Everyday tons of helicoptors flew workers to the rigs and back. They worked 7-14 days on and then 7-14 days off. Many lived hours away, but came in to work for the week or 2 and then back home to their familes when off. There were about 4 heliports in that area. Most of the businesses there were a support for the rigs. w/o the rigs, that area would die.

As for coastal erosion. It is somewhat true, but not caused by the rigs. Coastal erosion began with the building of the levees. Before the levees, the river would slowly overflow its banks every spring. The water would flush out the swamps of all of the "old stuff" and refresh it with new. The sediment would deposit along the coast and keep them where they were. This was a natural cleansing of the area and refreshening of the coasts. Now that he levees are in, there are no deposits being left, only the gulf washing it away. They bring old christmas trees out there every year to help "hold it in place", but it barely works. The levees were a bad idea on more than one front. The plantations were built expecting an annual flood. And, the flood was not that bad, compared to when the levees burst.

As far as whole communities disappearing, not due to coastal erosion. The only communites that I know of that disappeared were from Hurricanes Betsy and Camille. Those hurricanes caused the coast to move in considerable in some areas. Katrina had a similar affect on some, but not as significant as Camille. Those were natural disasters and not related to coastal erosion. If you go back and look at maps, the changes started occuring big time after the levee system, then dramatically after Camille. The oil rigs did not cause the coastal erosion.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 01:59 PM   #13

There is some truth to that artical. They are still finding large oil and gas deposits in the gulf. Also lots of rigs were destroyed last year. Many are in yards being rebuilt now. There is a shortage of rigs and man power in the gulf.

The have also reciently found out many of the old sites where they ran out of oil in the wells close to shore have an nother field deeper below the dry up field. My company is starting to drill in some of these locations.

There are also a couple of large deep water reserves. Thunder horse rig which will start soon is over a reserve that they will b e able to pump for 10 to 15 years. The rig I am on as I type is in 4500 feet of water, 150 miles out. We are pumping gas and oil and should be able to here for at least ten years. We both drill and pump.

With out the offshore oil industry southern LA, TX and MS would be with out work. Every thing from tugs, work boats, crew boats, helacopters, catering companies, food comanies, pipe companies and so on.
[b][i]100th ANNIVERSARY FLSTFI Black with air brushed real fire blue flames, #180
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:10 AM   #14

I have seen this before, but can't vouch for it's accuracy. Louisiana did anounce yesterday a 9.2 BILLION DOLLAR surplus partially due to increased revenue from oil drilling. Most of the money will be earmarked for things that the National Gov. (we) won't pay for. Baton Rouge officials said that they would spend their windfall tax on buying new computers for their police cars. They stated that the businesses are seeing a HUGE increase in spending for high ticket items like new SUV's. Business in general was described as "Christmas every day"

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

Richman is offline   Reply With Quote