Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2014, 11:38 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnystrom View Post
I ride 14 miles a day all street but I would never ride with traffic going that fast on a hiway.He musta clipped you at 60 mph the way it looked! Thank God you'er alive to tell the story. You NEVER know what's coming down the road. I'm glad you're ok!
This road is right outside the RV park. I had a choice of country roads with no shoulder and 65 MPH traffic, or the main roads with 65 MPH traffic and a wide shoulder. Not everywhere is blessed with 35 MPH roads and dedicated bike bike lanes.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2014, 11:57 PM   #16

Carolina Campers
Cycling in Texas

You are lucky.

My BIL had this same thing happen to him. Those guys opened their door to intentionally hit him. Then stopped and laughed at him trying to get up out of the ditch, then took off and left him mangled and bleeding on the side of the road.

I am glad you had the camera's, you need to press charges. This was not a "accident" and any jury will see that for sure. He only stopped as an after thought in the event that someone saw him and he may face time as a hit and run, or intentional manslaughter.

More than likely he was not trying to hit and kill you, just scare you to death. But he needs to be taught a lesson. Get a good lawyer on you side that deals with these type of things. Even if the guy was not intentionally trying to hit you, he pulled over into the bike lane to hit you. He is not only at fault, but negligent and/or recklessly at fault, regardless.

Also, your current recovery is not all that you should think about. You need to know that there could be additional issues that may come out of this down the road. Spinal issues, vertigo, etc, etc, etc...

Don't let him off easy. You should not even think of signing a release or settlement for about two years, and get all the medical care that you think is needed. Not only will they pay for all your medical costs, but ongoing medical bills over a longer time period will result in a better punitive settlement and/or jury award for pain and suffering.

How old was this guy that hit you? Was anyone else in the truck with him? Did they take a blood and/or urine sample?

Unfortunately this is a sport that is prominent with the younger crowd these days, and especially in Texas.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:21 AM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
JohnP88, I resent your remark about everybody in Texas Hating cyclists. That is an unfair assessment of an entire state. I for one do watch out for them and also motorcycles. I have many friends that ride both bicycles and motorcycles. You can not judge an entire state by the act of one reckless driver.

tedgard01, the above comment applies to you also.

Jerry
Old 08-05-2014, 07:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc View Post
JohnP88, I resent your remark about everybody in Texas Hating cyclists. That is an unfair assessment of an entire state. I for one do watch out for them and also motorcycles. I have many friends that ride both bicycles and motorcycles. You can not judge an entire state by the act of one reckless driver.

Jerry
Ok, 99.9% You would be surprised how many cyclists in San Antonio are hit on 1604. With many of them intentional.
JohnP88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #19

Carolina Campers
Cycling in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc View Post

Jerry

Sorry if you misread my comment. I did not mean to indicate that this was an assessment of everyone in the entire state of Texas, not did I say that.

What I did say is that this seems to be a current spot that has become popular by the younger group, and it happens in Texas almost regularly now. It has also been something that is happening in AZ, NM, CO, OR, some places in CA, NY, NJ, and other states and localities as well. By no means is it limited to TX.

Tampa police make arrest in hit-and-run that killed girl, 11
An eight year old boy riding his bike fell victim to a hit-and-run Saturday, WI
Police seek driver in hit-and-run that seriously injured Fort Lee woman
State alert system would target drivers in hit-and-run collisions, LA
BOISE -- A cyclist who was hit by a car is preparing for surgery, and Boise Police are still looking for the driver.
Ozark. According to the police, officers seized a vehicle that they believe struck and killed bicyclist Timothy Sparks, 18, sometime around 11:30 p.m. July 3 on State Route NN.
Minn - HIT & RUN: Husband and wife on bicycles hit near Wendy's in Oak Park Heights

And on and on and on

Ted
Old 08-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Thank God you are on the mend. I was most amazed at how many people just drove by. They had to see you lying on the ground. It looked like he tried to buzz you.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Mac, so glad it wasn't any worse....Iiving in ALA I have that constant fear of cyclists on our 2 lane roads. It was amazing how many passed you by without even a brake light coming on. I have become more aware of cycling since y great nephew and 2 friends are cycling from Seatle to Derry NH now....they are raising funds for a "rail trail' in NH. Their blog is very interesting and educational. Hope you have a speedy recovery!!
rovinredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:43 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I ride 14 miles a day all street but I would never ride with traffic going that fast on a hiway.He musta clipped you at 60 mph the way it looked! Thank God you'er alive to tell the story. You NEVER know what's coming down the road. I'm glad you're ok!

This road is right outside the RV park. I had a choice of country roads with no shoulder and 65 MPH traffic, or the main roads with 65 MPH traffic and a wide shoulder. Not everywhere is blessed with 35 MPH roads and dedicated bike bike lanes.

The main thing here is that you're alive. Your injuries were life threatening and if you would have been hit a little higher it would have broke your neck for sure. Where you ride is your choice. Get well!
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Quote:
The main thing here is that you're alive. Your injuries were life threatening and if you would have been hit a little higher it would have broke your neck for sure. Where you ride is your choice. Get well!
It's been a little over three weeks and I wake up every morning hurting, but give thanks to Heavenly Father that it wasn't worse. I realize how close to being in a wheelchair, or vegetative state I came...it's sobering to say the least.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #24

looks to me the bastard hit you on purpose.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have had several friends (cyclists) killed by Texas drivers. One driver was drunk, another driver was admittedly texting, another was on record saying "they don't belong on the road". I got scolded for expressing this perspective on the non-prosecution factor that exists in Texas on this forum before so I won't comment.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
I have had several friends (cyclists) killed by Texas drivers. One driver was drunk, another driver was admittedly texting, another was on record saying "they don't belong on the road". I got scolded for expressing this perspective on the non-prosecution factor that exists in Texas on this forum before so I won't comment.
I'm from California and I have ridden in California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona and Texas. Utah is the most bike friendly in my experience and I can't really make a fair assessment of Texas since almost the first car to pass me hit me. But many in the local Texas bike club stated that it seems Texas drivers have a lot to learn about sharing the road.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP88 View Post
Ok, 99.9% You would be surprised how many cyclists in San Antonio are hit on 1604. With many of them intentional.
I'll be the jackhole of the thread...

What in the mother of all F do you think would happen to "you" while riding a bike on 1604? It's a very VERY heavily congested road allll the way around San Antonio and in most places, there aren't many shoulders to speak of.

I have to admit that I'm not a road bike person, but I do ride a motorcycle.

I have enough common sense to know when and where it's safer to ride vs the stupidity of thinking that I'm a car. Add to that riding a road bike at 15mph (at best) while cars fly by me doing a *minimum* of 70mph... and that's just on the access roads!

I don't dislike road bikes and ALWAYS give plenty of room when I pass, but I have a hate for those who have no common sense or common courtesy for those that severely impede traffic on major thoroughfares.

For the OP... get well soon. You aren't the type of rider that I dislike.. you were clearly off the road and on the shoulder... I'd do whatever is in your power to screw that guy up as much as he tried to screw you up.
cj00ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:19 AM   #28

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj00ta View Post
I'll be the jackhole of the thread...

Not going to disagree with you...

Ted

Tags
texas