Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2014, 06:34 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Well to put this in perspective after a couple day's of thinking and commenting ...
Look how many highway construction workers get hit or killed in work zones by careless drivers? Crazy.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #30

riding

Hello Mark- wish you a speedy recovery.
I agree, biking is a lifestyle. DW and I ride a lot, me more so. Whether we ride for recreation or for aerobic fitness, I've come to the conclusion that we will not ride on any roads with a posted speed limit over 30. Yes, that means we no longer ride in the country on county highways or tertiary roads. Does it guaranty our safety? Absolutely not.
Where we live, we are blessed with many rails to trails routes to choose from. When we are traveling, we will search out trails or plan a route that feels safe. I don't trust drivers and that can include me.
Tom
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevandtomH View Post
Hello Mark- wish you a speedy recovery.
I agree, biking is a lifestyle. DW and I ride a lot, me more so. Whether we ride for recreation or for aerobic fitness, I've come to the conclusion that we will not ride on any roads with a posted speed limit over 30. Yes, that means we no longer ride in the country on county highways or tertiary roads. Does it guaranty our safety? Absolutely not.
Where we live, we are blessed with many rails to trails routes to choose from. When we are traveling, we will search out trails or plan a route that feels safe. I don't trust drivers and that can include me.
Tom
Thank you for the well wishes Tom. We are in the process of finalizing retirement and one of the prerequisites is an area that is loaded with MUPs and other trail systems. We are blessed with the resources to have a couple of homes and because of the location of children, and especially grandchildren, we will probably have a home in the South Jordan UT area and a winter home in the Saint George area. They have incredible trail systems in both areas and it will keep me from having to spend so much time on heavily traveled roads. While I have well over 25,000 miles on a bike, and the vast majority of it very near home, and never had an accident this is a game changer is some ways. I will be more discerning in my selection to say the least, but honestly, the chances of me getting hit again are rather slim...at least statistically speaking.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #32

Fear of what happened to you, and has happened to many of my cycling friends was what led me to switch almost 100% from road riding to mountain biking. No F250s or duallies or texting teens or jackholes to deal with. If I crash (and I do) it's because of me vs. terrain and I have never been seriously injured on the MTB.

Also, there is shade, and quiet, and sometimes bunnies or deer or foxes or bobcats or cougars or bears, depending on where I am! I'll take my chances with a cougar or bear any day over a redneck in a 1ton pickup with dumbo mirrors hauling a flatbed trailer full of scrap metal.

When you get back on the bike, and I hope that is ASAP, look into a mountain bike! The community in Texas is great. In fact Tyler state park is home to some great MTB trails. Huntsville and Coldspring also have great east Texas trails. Many of the state parks in Texas have trails to ride and even more trails a short drive away.

I'm in Austin and race the state TMBRA series. If you ever want a trail suggestion in Texas, hit me up! I'm happy to provide all the information I know.

Please tell me the officer cited the F250.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #33

life is good

mark- your signature reminds me of the Life is Good T shirts.
A friend wears one that is called "balanced portfolio" with a hiker, biker, golfer.
Works for me.
If and when we are still in a position to purchase a coach and go full time in five years, I will make that my goal too.
Sounds like you have the best of all worlds.
Safe Travels, Best of Health.
Tom
Old 08-09-2014, 06:15 AM   #34

Did you post this video on facebook? If you do you may find out who hit you. Im sorry to say a video like this will spread like wild fire on there.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:54 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
Did you post this video on facebook? If you do you may find out who hit you. Im sorry to say a video like this will spread like wild fire on there.
The driver that hit me stopped and was cited for "lane violation".

And yes, this video has been posted on Facebook and shared countless times. On YouTube it has well over 200,000 views. A cycling club in east Texas is using it to help promote cycling awareness and I did an interview on a local ABC affiliate in Tyler Texas...yep, you could say it spread like wild fire.

My daughter and I are even trying to spread the word of "share the road" with a line of tee shirts that try to say that cyclists are people you love...Husband, Grandpa, Cyclist, Share The Road.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #36

season ending

Mark- I was wondering how you are recovering at this point. Where you at on rehab?
Our cycling season is winding down for us, almost time to think about what to repair/mod on the bikes for next season's rides. For me, its not the cold air but the wind chill you generate. We can ride pretty comfortably in high 40's if it's sunny.
Anyways, hope you are literally and figuratively on the road to recovery.
Tom
Old 10-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevandtomH View Post
Mark- I was wondering how you are recovering at this point. Where you at on rehab?
Our cycling season is winding down for us, almost time to think about what to repair/mod on the bikes for next season's rides. For me, its not the cold air but the wind chill you generate. We can ride pretty comfortably in high 40's if it's sunny.
Anyways, hope you are literally and figuratively on the road to recovery.
Tom
Doing pretty good Tom, thanks for asking.

I have been back to running and biking for about 8 weeks and last Saturday I ran a 10k race, finished first in my age group. I still ache in the morning but it could be worse. I also have some numbness in my finger tips on the side I was hit but that comes and goes. For a 57 year old guy I figure I'm as good as it will get. One thing I have noticed is I tend to be a little more sensitive about cars getting too close...but I suspect that will diminish as time goes by.

I am just about to sign off on the settlement and I am learning that our insurance system and laws are a joke. My claim is over $200k, maybe closer to $250k, and all I really can recover is the policy limits...$100k. That will cover my medical but after that and the attorney there is not really much left for the pain and suffering for weeks and weeks. Not to mention lost wages and a vacation that was spent in the hospital. My lawyer believes there is not enough assets to really go after the driver civilly so I guess it is what it is. I know personally of another cyclist that was hit by a car just 6 weeks after me. She broke her pelvis, dislocated thumb, broken vertebra along with some road rash. Spent 5 weeks in the hospital with several surgeries. I know the driver (16 years old & texting) will not have near enough coverage to compensate her and it makes me wonder about our system that allows people to drive with minimum coverage (15/30 here in Calif.). Rant over.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #38

Carolina Campers
Cycling in Texas

My first thought is that you have the wrong lawyer. Frankly, it appears that your lawyer is more interested in getting paid with a quick settlement versus considering you best interest. I would strongly recommend that either you have a frank discussion with your current lawyer or get a second opinion.

I had an accident and waited for almost two years to settle, and went to the doctor for the entire time as I thought necessary. As the medical bills increase, there is a direct relation to the amount of the settlement you will receive, not just for the actual cost, but increased pain and suffering consideration.

Don't settle for at least a year, and make totally sure that you don't have any issues that may display themselves over a year or so later. Especially if you are still experiencing pain, don't settle. You should continue to seek medical attention as long as there is any type of pain or issue. This will demonstrate and document the ongoing issues and will result in a better settlement down the road. Don't let them push you into a settlement that is not going to be sure that you have something for future concerns. They make it sound like you need to settle sooner than later, but that is only because they want to get this claim off their books. With the video that you captured, I would recommend that you consider a jury settlement versus an out of court settlement, or at least make them think that that is what you are considering. You will get a far better settlement offer if they think there is a chance that you will go to court.

I know that you are a good person, and may think it should not be pushed, but please don't make a mistake that could have real consequences in the future.

In my openion, this guy intentionally rammed into you. He may not have assets to cover your claim now, but someday he may. If that driver is not made to pay the penitentiary for their actions, they will not learn the life long lesson that they should. At this point that driver is a risk to society and should be made to understand it, even if it means that a judgment will need to hang out there for some future resolution.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
My first thought is that you have the wrong lawyer. Frankly, it appears that your lawyer is more interested in getting paid with a quick settlement versus considering you best interest. I would strongly recommend that either you have a frank discussion with your current lawyer or get a second opinion.

I had an accident and waited for almost two years to settle, and went to the doctor for the entire time as I thought necessary. As the medical bills increase, there is a direct relation to the amount of the settlement you will receive, not just for the actual cost, but increased pain and suffering consideration.

Don't settle for at least a year, and make totally sure that you don't have any issues that may display themselves over a year or so later. Especially if you are still experiencing pain, don't settle. You should continue to seek medical attention as long as there is any type of pain or issue. This will demonstrate and document the ongoing issues and will result in a better settlement down the road. Don't let them push you into a settlement that is not going to be sure that you have something for future concerns. They make it sound like you need to settle sooner than later, but that is only because they want to get this claim off their books. With the video that you captured, I would recommend that you consider a jury settlement versus an out of court settlement, or at least make them think that that is what you are considering. You will get a far better settlement offer if they think there is a chance that you will go to court.

I know that you are a good person, and may think it should not be pushed, but please don't make a mistake that could have real consequences in the future.

In my openion, this guy intentionally rammed into you. He may not have assets to cover your claim now, but someday he may. If that driver is not made to pay the penitentiary for their actions, they will not learn the life long lesson that they should. At this point that driver is a risk to society and should be made to understand it, even if it means that a judgment will need to hang out there for some future resolution.

Ted
Thanks for the thoughts Ted, but adding to the medical bills will not get me anything...there is no more money. They wrote a check for the entire policy and the individual has no assets. There is no reason to think that my condition will worsen as they were broken ones and they healed. I cannot collect any further for future medical if I wanted to because there is no more to collect. Lawyers can't make money appear from nothing and he has looked under all the rocks.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #40

Carolina Campers
Good luck.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #41

Hi Mark-

As a fellow rider, I'm sorry to hear about the accident but am glad you are on the mend. I just read this, as I don't follow this part of the forum very closely.

Best of luck and if we're ever in the same area I'd love to go for a ride.

Tim
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #42

Your smart to ride with a camera, I also ride with a rear facing camera (Mobius Action).

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkat View Post
Thank you for the well wishes Tom. We are in the process of finalizing retirement and one of the prerequisites is an area that is loaded with MUPs and other trail systems. We are blessed with the resources to have a couple of homes and because of the location of children, and especially grandchildren, we will probably have a home in the South Jordan UT area and a winter home in the Saint George area. They have incredible trail systems in both areas and it will keep me from having to spend so much time on heavily traveled roads. While I have well over 25,000 miles on a bike, and the vast majority of it very near home, and never had an accident this is a game changer is some ways. I will be more discerning in my selection to say the least, but honestly, the chances of me getting hit again are rather slim...at least statistically speaking.

I live in Henderson, NV and surprisingly we have a lot of MUPs. You should come down here sometime and ride River Mountains trail and the Wetlands Park trails. These are my everyday rides.

Tags
texas