Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2014, 04:58 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cycling in Texas

I am one of those guys that like's to stay active. I take a bike everywhere we go and either run or cycle as often as possible. Last week we were in East Texas visiting my daughter's family (grandkids etc.) when I decided to go for a ride on Monday morning in Bullard TX. I usually ride with 2 cameras on my bike, mostly to share anything interesting that I may see. One is rear facing (GoPro3) and one is forward facing (Garmin VIRB Elite). We were staying at Bushman's RV park on Hwy 69. I had only been out a mile or so when disaster struck...so to speak. I was clipped by a Ford F-250's mirror passing me at about 65mph knocking me for a loop. I ended up in East Texas Medical Center for 4 days recovering from a collapsed lung, a broken scapula and 5 broken ribs. Here is the video if you are interested...it is not for the faint of heart. No blood, but it is rather difficult to watch for some. The gasping/wheezing if from me trying to get air with a collapsed lung.

macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #2

Cycling in Texas

Holey moley! Get well and heal. Took a bit for someone to help.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:00 PM   #3

It is just disgusting to see so many people to just continue driving and not help. Looks like it was also hit and run. So sad!! I live in Texas and I like to think most are not as sorry as those who did not stop.

Wish you a full recovery.

Just for the record I stopped riding about 12 yrs. ago for fear of the same accident after so many close calls, and final blow was 3 club members killed on Saturday morning club ride. In my area, Houston area, many cyclist are killed each year.

People please share the road.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:06 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
It is just disgusting to see so many people to just continue driving and not help. Looks like it was also hit and run. So sad!! I live in Texas and I like to think most are not as sorry as those who did not stop.

Wish you a full recovery.

Just for the record I stopped riding about 12 yrs. ago for fear of the same accident after so many close calls, and final blow was 3 club members killed on Saturday morning club ride. In my area, Houston area, many cyclist are killed each year.

People please share the road.
Thank you for the well wishes. It was not hit and run, but it was a hit and slow to stop. He was not the first guy on the scene, and one would think that should be the case.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:27 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OH MAN! Did they get the SOB!? I wonder if this is one of those stupid yahoos that have bumper stickers like, "Start Seeing Motorcycles." I had one of them nearly do the same to me in IL.

Get well quickly! I hope the SOB gets caught if he didn't do the decent thing and stop.

EDIT...just saw your post that the SOB at least stopped.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #6

That was no accident, that was an attack. Sue the sucker for all you can.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #7

What has the driver of the truck had to say about all this. Was he drunk? Texting? Trying to make a point to bikers?

Pretty sick.
Crop Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crop Duster View Post
What has the driver of the truck had to say about all this. Was he drunk? Texting? Trying to make a point to bikers?

Pretty sick.
His first comment/excuse was he was trying to avoid "debris" in the road. That was obviously not true, then he switched to "I didn't know how far out my mirror was". Either way lame. The only real fact is he was not looking at the road. The police looked at his phone and determined that wasn't the cause, but it doesn't show that he may have been looking at email or weather etc.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mark,
Fellow tri guy here. Glad that you are on the mend. Could have been a lot worse. How badly did your bike get trashed? Hope the guy gets what he deserves.
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwit View Post
Mark,
Fellow tri guy here. Glad that you are on the mend. Could have been a lot worse. How badly did your bike get trashed? Hope the guy gets what he deserves.
Odd thing about the bike...if I had taken a spill I would have been thrilled at how little damage was done. A little scratch on the left shifter, and a small abrasion on the saddle. Ironically this happened very near to Tyler Texas and my saddle is a Cobb, which is made in Tyler. They found out what happened and have shipped a new saddle out to me. Really good people there.

As to being worse, you are not kidding. I feel lucky to be alive or at the very least wheelchair bound. A few inches to the right and it would have been a totally different story.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #11

Glad to hear that you survived relatively intact. Watching your video it sure looks like he tried to hit you.

I ride regularly and 99% of the time it seems like folks tried to give me way more room than I need. Seems like there's that 1/10 of 1% that needs aboatguy beatdown.

Mend quickly, and don't give up riding!
aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I ride 14 miles a day all street but I would never ride with traffic going that fast on a hiway.He musta clipped you at 60 mph the way it looked! Thank God you'er alive to tell the story. You NEVER know what's coming down the road. I'm glad you're ok!
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #13

For some unknown reason, people in Texas HATE bicycles! Probably because they have 3 of the top 10 fattest cities in the USA... But, more people get killed in SA riding bicycles than 1 would think!
JohnP88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:35 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatguy View Post
Glad to hear that you survived relatively intact. Watching your video it sure looks like he tried to hit you.

I ride regularly and 99% of the time it seems like folks tried to give me way more room than I need. Seems like there's that 1/10 of 1% that needs aboatguy beatdown.

Mend quickly, and don't give up riding!
Cycling is a lifestyle not a hobby...I won't be quitting any time soon.

Tags
texas